Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bigger brakes = better stopping??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 11:11 PM
Phatmitzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigger the rotors gives more surface area for the break pads = better breaking.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:52 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The track model brembo brakes offer much better fade resistence after repeated, high speed stops. For example, if you were to pull your car down from say 90mph to 50 mph , 6 or 7 times, in the span of 15-20 minutes , you're defintely going to notice that the first stop will be essentially as short and controled as the last. As I found when I took my Performance model (non-brembo) to the track this weekend - the first few stops are going to be just fine - but towards the end of a track session, you're defintely going to notice increased stopping distances, and increased required pedal effort.

On the street, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever. When the brakes are cold, the stopping distances are going to be virtually the same- besides, the stock brakes are MORE than enough to bring your non-track Z to a stop MUCH faster than 90% of the cars on the road- you really have to be very careful to not stop short (and to take those yellow lights...) b/c someone might rear end you....

Bottom line, if you don't plan on doing any drivers schools or track events, save your money...

Ethan
Old 11-13-2002, 06:16 AM
noahbuddy

Plus, the touring is the heaviest model there is. That should add a foot or two to the distance. Maybe?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Michael-Dallas

Bigger brakes will increase stopping power, but it might not necessarily decrease stopping distance. It's really a balance between the brakes and the tires. If you increase the surface area of your brakes, then you should also increase the longitudinal contact patch of your tires. I.E. You can have the biggest & baddest brakes available, but they can overpower your tires and cause tire lockup and/or tire skid (and/or cause the ABS to kick in sooner).

Larger rotors/calipers/pads = more surface area for converting kinetic energy to heat energy (i.e. more stopping power). Thicker rotors = more volume to absorb & disippate heat energy (i.e. lower brake fade).

Michael.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:39 PM
^Tyr

um, tell your mechanic to start telling you the truth.. the only people making real power outta the new z's as far as i know are the track guys, like teh aussie track car and dwnshifts race car... everyone else is basically waiting for mods to come out like you and i.... oh and the 4wd and trubo stuff. spell this to him. s.k.y.l.i.n.e.