Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z not so fast???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 07:02 AM
jvolpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z not so fast???

i just got my Z on monday, and have been driving very mellow to break it in properly. Yesterday i wanted to see just how fast it really was. i have to say, i was not all that impressed, as i barely felt myself getting pinned in the seat. i even took it to redline thru 3rd gear and i dont feel that its nearly as fast as what i have been reading about on here. now granted, its faster than most cars, and handles like nothing ive ever driven in my life, but i was just a little disappointed. Does it get faster as it breaks in? Or is this what is to be expected? Pls no flames, just an honest question. I used to have a trans am ws-6 and i guess that is what i am comparing it to. the TA would pin you in your seat until you took your foot off the pedal.

Am i missing something here?
Old 11-14-2002, 07:15 AM
sschmuve

Well, I can agree with you a bit. I'm still breaking mine in, so I haven't taken it past 5k. On the highway, the power in 4th and 5th feel nice and gives the impression that 2nd and 3rd would really kick ***. But, for some reason, they still "feel" like 4th... Maybe the Z is geared for european Autobahn driving. Also, before I bought my Z, I had a friendly race against one with my 2000 Eclipse GT V6. We both gunned it in second gear, and we were neck and neck. (He had a passenger) In third, he pulled on me. I thought he was holding back, but now i'm not too sure.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:17 AM
WayneTN

I had a Trans Am, too. It was 8-cylinders and 6.0 L, quad-jet carb, true dual exhaust, no air poll stuff. The Z is only 3.5 L. True, it's tweeked up, but it's maybe not fair to compare it's power to the raw power of one of those T/A's. IMHO.

I'm sure others can weigh in on this, also.

WayneTN
Old 11-14-2002, 07:30 AM
sdpearso

This is actually kinda interesting. I had the same reaction the first few times I "got on" my Z. My buddy had just bought an Audi S4 that seemed a lot quicker. It threw me back in my seat and held me there. The funny thing is that when we raced, I smoked him.

I think this all has something to do with "how" the car pulls. The Z seems to pull consistently from about 2K to almost readline. It doesn't have that sudden burst of power that sucks you into your seat and then dies out at the top end just to suck you back again after shifting. I think that's why it doesn't feel as fast yet holds true to the numbers.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:34 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has already been discussed a dozen times before. The Z has a very linear power band that really doesn't give you that snap-your-neck type of acceleration. However, if you look at the latest C&D comparo with the Mach 1 which beat the Z in 0-60/1320 and pay attention to the 30-50 and 50-70 MPH top gear acceleration tests, you'll see that the Z handed the Mach 1 it's ***. That's linear power. Always on, always available.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:42 AM
jasonintoronto

droidekaus has a good point. as well, the s4 is a twin turbo - there's a lot of power that comes on once they spool up which can be very abrupt (esp if he's chipped).

the smoothness of the power delivery in the z is a big plus, esp on the track when you use the pedal to modulate power delivery in extreme cornering.

try driving a porsche (well, except for the turbo) and it's power delivery is relatively smooth too.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:49 AM
MatthewZ

Also, keep in mind if you want full throttle in the Z you have to put the pedal all the way to the floor. That is something I'm still getting used to coming from a BMW where the first half of the pedal is all the throttle.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:05 AM
rai

not sure if this matters but was the TC on or off?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:08 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I swapped my Z for a few minutes for a friend's W06 about 2 weeks ago. The W06 had good acceleration but seem years behind suspension wise - it really reminded me of the "gold chain" years of the 70's. I was glad to get my Z back - not that the W06 is a bad car, it's just not me and the styling is rather bland unless mega hood scoops are your thing.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:20 AM
importriders

I have driven Camaros and T/A's and I think a majority of what you are feeling is due to the sensitvity of the gas pedal. On a Camaro or T/A the pedal is very sensitive meaning that a slight push (say 1/4 way down) you get a surging effect. I would assume that it is because they are not linear. I have not driven a Z, but from what I have heard on this board, the gas pedal is very linear therefore for the same effect you have to press the pedal down more. That on top of the Z's more linear power band IMO is the reason for the sluggish feeling.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:21 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another thing is that the suspension in the Z is VERY stiff, and when you step on it, the back doesnt dip down so much. ever riddin on those VR things that simulates acceleration by tilting you back? you can tell the difference between tilt and actual acceleration. this could be one possible difference, I know my GTP FEELS faster, but thats only because it tilts back. while the Z, while you dont feel like your accelerating so fast, your jumping by 4s on the speedo through 60mph. remember that when you finished 2nd gear you were already at 62mph.

and yes there is some power to be had after break in, but its not gonna be night and day.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:50 AM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default another importatn point

One thing I was surprised no one mentioned also is that a car usually feels faster when you are the passenger, not the driver. Riding in someone else's car will give you an impression that it is faster than is you actually drove it. When my brother drives my Z and I'm riding along, it feels REALLY fast, mainly because your not in control, don't know what going to happen next, and are basically just enjoying the ride.

When I'm driving it, I know when I'm going to shift, how far down to hit the pedal, etc.. so nothing comes as a surprise. I'm expecting it to be fast, which can be anticlimatic without a sudden power surge.

All in all, I agree with everyone here though. The main factor of feeling "slower" is the linear power band. Beautiful refinement if you ask me!

RaymanZ
Old 11-14-2002, 09:52 AM
steve c

I notice you are in Denver. You will be lucky to break into the high 14's up here -- so yeah cars don't feel very fast.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:28 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

My $.02. The torque curve is so linear on the Z, there is no point where torque kicks in all at once, that is what will give you that head snapping back feeling. While the head-snapping torque is good for "show," the linear smooth torque of the z is much better for "go."
Old 11-14-2002, 12:14 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default interesting discussion

If you read the road test of the S2000 and other cars that need high RPM to get to the power band, it is often seen as a negative. Sure the Z may appear to not have the thrust but the linear is better all together.

I think you will be happy if you SC or turbo it. Then you will get more hp/torgue and thrust too.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:34 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I decided to go be sure, and yup sure enough, the Z is plenty fast.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:31 PM
jvolpe

steve c - you mentioned that altitude has an impact to speed? would an octane booster fluid help with that? or are we just sol living in mile high...

Quick Reply: 350z not so fast???