2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speeding ticket, should i fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
MulhollandDrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your actual speed and compare it to your speedometer speed.
Document this. Bring this to court. Facts are helpful.
Fight the ticket.
Tell the judge the truth. "I was going 65. There is no way I was going 75 since I am constantly looking at my speedometer. I think the officer made a simple mistake."
Take your punishment.

Possible outcomes:
The cop does not show.
The judge reduces the ticket.
The judge lets you off. Yup. This has happened.
You lose.

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
So today im driving on a local highway and the speed limit is 55 and i was going around 65-67 or so and i see this cop going the opposite way but he turns on his lights and turns around and pulls me over. He asks how fast i think i was going i said 65 and he said i clocked u goin 75. THERE IS NO WAY IN HOT HELL i was going 75, im constantly looking at my speedometer.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM
phile

I got a ticket for going 73 in a 55. I was driving my friend's EVO8. He had a couple beers. I told the officer that, but it didn't help. Needless to say I had my lawyer take care of it. $200 bucks and it all disappears.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:41 AM
sicilianoNYC

$200 for a lawyer....yeah right......anyways anyone else got any advice...
Old 04-14-2005, 06:12 AM
phile

$200 for a lawyer....yeah right......anyways anyone else got any advice...
That's how much it cost me (I don't live in a big city). And the ticket is gone. I ran a red light 4 years ago and did the same thing. Paid a lawyer, ticket was gone. No points, nothing.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
sicilianoNYC

how did u find a lawyer for this situation? yellow pages???
Old 04-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Master4846

I would take defensive driving if at all possible. You said you just wanted for it to not go on insurance. Take the easy way out. If they do find you guilty they will probably hammer you for wasting there time.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:29 AM
phile

how did u find a lawyer for this situation? yellow pages???
Well, like I said I live in a small city (population 19,000). I just knew of this particular lawyer who takes care of traffic tickets. Yellow pages is a good place to start though.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:10 AM
sicilianoNYC

How does one go about asking to change the ticket to a non-moving violation..if i gotta pay in the end thats fine i jus dont want points or especially it to show up on insurance........
Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 AM
phile

How does one go about asking to change the ticket to a non-moving violation..if i gotta pay in the end thats fine i jus dont want points or especially it to show up on insurance........
Just get a lawyer that deals with traffic tickets, tell him you want it either wiped clean, or reduced to a non-moving voilation. Tell him your scenario about the possible uncalibrated radar, and he will tell you where to go from there.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
sicilianoNYC

dude im sure i dont need a lawyer to get it changed to a non moving violation......im not about to hire a lawyer for $500 for this
Old 04-16-2005, 03:06 PM
phile

dude im sure i dont need a lawyer to get it changed to a non moving violation......im not about to hire a lawyer for $500 for this
Well, you run the risk of the judge telling you you're SOL. With a laweyer they most definitely will eliminate it or reduce the fine. You're taking things into your own hands and if you fail, your insurance will go up and you'll get points on your liscense. I'm not telling you what to do, i'm telling you what might happen if you don't.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:05 AM
FairladyZi

They just are ridiculous! I got pulled over last friday on BQE and in friday afternoon traffic he hended me a ticket with 80 on 45. 80miles an hour in bumper to bumper traffic...
I feel like I should send it to import tuner
Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by cloudy
This should be an easy win for you i think. If his gun wasnt calibrated right and you guys were moving in the opposite direction, which to my knowledge is very hard or near impossible to correctly clock some1. Especially if he was going 55 and you were going 65.

There was a guy with a 350z here in AZ, that got gunned when the cop was at a complete stop, and he proved that somehow the gun did not read right, and actually drew it out, did all the math and proved it and got away with it.
Its simple to clock someone going in the opposite direction, its called rear radar. I have wrote many tickets too folks after I passed them, I simply flipped the radar to the rear radar!

Did the officer in this case have rear radar? If not, then he might have clocked you before you passed him.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 AM
phile

Originally Posted by zand02max
Its simple to clock someone going in the opposite direction, its called rear radar. I have wrote many tickets too folks after I passed them, I simply flipped the radar to the rear radar!

Did the officer in this case have rear radar? If not, then he might have clocked you before you passed him.
So you're an officer yourself? What are your thoughts on officers who break the law for unnecessary reasons while on duty, yet write tickets to civilians who break the law?

For example, most of the officers where I live will coast right through a stop sign, yet write a ticket to someone else who does the same thing.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:48 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you're an officer yourself? What are your thoughts on officers who break the law for unnecessary reasons while on duty, yet write tickets to civilians who break the law?

For example, most of the officers where I live will coast right through a stop sign, yet write a ticket to someone else who does the same thing.///

Now that's like saying, whiy write the ticket for speeding, if a lawyer is going to have it thrown out and change to suit the person that got the ticker. Master 4846 hit it on the nail....go to driver's defense driving school, which is 1 day here, and no point will be added. Sounds real logical to me, as my friend here did exactly that, his ticker was for 10 mph over the limit.
Myself, I'm no better, the speed limit is like a challenge to me. But no tickets i.e. knock on wood as of yet. Of course I do have the Passport 8500 X50 pop radar detector which is made in Cincinnati, OH, same manufacturor that makes the police radar guns, lasers. Also have a protect cover on my license which deflects the photo radar also. They're sold at Kragen Auto Parts. And they work.....
My .02 worth.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:52 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by phile

For example, most of the officers where I live will coast right through a stop sign, yet write a ticket to someone else who does the same thing.
My philosphy is, if anyone breaks the law, then they should be cited accordingly or warned. I know what your talking about, I see it all the time.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:55 PM
phile

Originally Posted by zand02max
My philosphy is, if anyone breaks the law, then they should be cited accordingly or warned. I know what your talking about, I see it all the time.
If I break it it's my fault and I take responsibility for it. But I get really angry when I see officers do exactly what they give tickets for (on duty). Off duty obviously is off duty :P

I've seen them talkling on cell phones running red lights, coasting through stop signs, and speeding to get to the dunkin donuts. Amongst many other things.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:46 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out www.speedzones.com. You will see a good test done by experts of the top dectors on the marker which cover X Ka Laser pop radar and Detector Detector coverage. This is simply info for sort of protecting yourself on occasion. Check out Kragen Auto parts for the cover to protect yourself at the photo picture detectors. Nothing perfect, and never was in the world, except for "1" and he's back home. But I always feel if a ticket is given, and it was for a reason, then take best way out, and I believe of course that Master 4846 did a good job in that dept of explanation. That same officer you speak of may some day save somebody's life, and will be talked about, NO..., it's just another day on the job. If you see a situation like you mention, report it immediately with date, time, place, vehicle number to the police dept. Do facts not after the fact. That's how things is noted and accomplished. In my 22 years of military service, doing accident investigations, etc. I have also been in situations where I have had a military policeman put in the brig, as I witnessed a certain situation no worthy of the job or uniform and I took immediate action. It's part of the job. But, i.e. not a after fact, which becomes nothing more than assumption. Cell phones aren't against the law, I see many, many drivers on the cell phone. Don't point out only one type of person. And speeding to dunk donuts is hogwash talk. I don' believe that for a moment, that movie talk, and I mean comedy too. Everybody should obey the law, report it on the spot, as mentioned above and make it a fact not hearsay talk. Then you'll have the newspaper clipping to show it. Again my .02 worth with more than 35 years experience of fact finding and decision making on the job.