Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Needs some opinions before i order.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:34 PM
sokudo9l6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needs some opinions before i order.

Hey guys, i'm about to order a Z this weekend. I've been searching for the perfect Z for awhile now and i'm getting tired of it. It's driving me crazy! Every Z i find either has too many options, too little options or its the wrong color. I guess i'm pretty **** about this but who isn't? I'm sure most of you know what i'm talking about . Anyways, i just want to make sure that i'm doing the right thing by ordering one. I basically have two options, 1) order one straight from nissan and wait a few weeks/months or 2) sit around and wait for the perfect one to show up at my local dealers and try to buy it.

And for those who ordered a Z, was it everything you expected? When you went in to pick up the car...was it in perfect condition? No scratchs, dents, etc? I know that if i order one...i have to buy it. There is no way of getting out of the deal unless i find something mechanical wrong?

Thanks,

Derek

OH YEAH...i almost forgot. Does it matter which dealership i order it from? Because this smaller dealership treated me very well...very nice ppl to deal with so i was thinking about ordering it from them. But this is a very small dealership, at least compared to the others one i been to. This might sound stupid but do smaller dealership gets cars slower ?

Last edited by sokudo9l6; 03-01-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordering is best if you are particular & can't find one at dealers.

have you tried the search feature at the Nissan site? With a little fiddling you can search dealers within several hundred miles of you. Looking for my Brick I looked up the inventory of 2/3s of Cali Nissan dealers. Finally found what I wanted at dealer 300 miles away. A week later car was in my drove.

By the way, at least in Cali, you can change your mind after ordering the car for zero cost. I think (but not sure) this is the law in all states.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
FairladyZ

If you have the patience order one. Nah it shouldnt matter that its a small dealer. Check out the service dept though. See if you would let the techs in that facility touch your car.

Not sure if it takes longer, but back in the day when I bought my Z only select dealers were selling them, and the other dealers got maybe 2 350's on their lots. Now they are a dime a dozen.

How far have you searched (miles). I found my car, it was about an hour drive from me. Small dealer too, worked out pretty good. Since it was in another town tax was less.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:08 PM
ohw

I ordered mine and waited for it. The waiting was the hardest part after you know your Z is coming, but just not there yet. Made it so much sweeter when it finally showed up. Keep in mind that if you order now, you won't get to drive it till June. Can you wait that long?

When I ordered, I put 2 conditions on the contract:
1. The car must be new with no body damage
2. Subject to final inspection and test drive.

When I picked it up, there was a minor scratch on the bumper, because of the conditions I specified, they replaced the bumper for me, I want only original factory paint. The rest of the car was in perfect condition. Make sure you check the whole car before handing over you money.

As for the smaller but nice dealer, just ask then how long it would take to get the car. Compare it with the larger dealer. If unsure, write the delivery date in as part of the contract. If the car does not show up within a reasonable / acceptable time frame, deal is off and get your money back.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Z BOY

i've heard things i didn't know to do when i ordered mine, like don't let them wash the car, don't let them drill the holes for the front license plate. i'm sure there are others i forgot. ordered mine 8/02 and received it 12/02. i ordered the performance model cuz all the reviews said it was best bang for buck. don't pay anything over sticker.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:54 PM
sokudo9l6

i search as far as 150miles away from me. I thought i found some but when i call the dealerships, they said they never had the car. The dealership i'm working with also found me one the first time i tried to buy. But it was 130miles away. The only way they can bring it to me was for them to hire someone to drive it back. If it was like 20miles i would had been ok with it but 120miles was a little far. I don't really trust other people driving my brand new car so i refused...especially when i want a proper break-in. I thought about driving down to this other dealer myself to make a deal but they wouldn't give me the same trade-in as the dealer i'm working with. =\

One more thing...if i order one. What are the chances of the dealer finding one that is freshly shipped and is sitting at one of the docks? Like a car that is shipped from japan but no one yet has taken it back to their dealership to sell?

Derek
Old 03-02-2005, 02:32 AM
FairladyZ

You should have asked how they wre gonna ship that car. Around me if its after a certain distance if you pay they will flat bed the car to the dealer.

They send drivers if the car is like a few miles away.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:24 AM
EnthusiastZ

Where are you located? I may have what you are looking for. Tell me about the Z you want. When I dealer trade or deliver a Z by customer request it is always put a flatbed truck so no miles are accumulated.

Originally posted by sokudo9l6
i search as far as 150miles away from me. I thought i found some but when i call the dealerships, they said they never had the car. The dealership i'm working with also found me one the first time i tried to buy. But it was 130miles away. The only way they can bring it to me was for them to hire someone to drive it back. If it was like 20miles i would had been ok with it but 120miles was a little far. I don't really trust other people driving my brand new car so i refused...especially when i want a proper break-in. I thought about driving down to this other dealer myself to make a deal but they wouldn't give me the same trade-in as the dealer i'm working with. =\

One more thing...if i order one. What are the chances of the dealer finding one that is freshly shipped and is sitting at one of the docks? Like a car that is shipped from japan but no one yet has taken it back to their dealership to sell?

Derek
Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 AM
sokudo9l6

Originally posted by EnthusiastZ
Where are you located? I may have what you are looking for. Tell me about the Z you want. When I dealer trade or deliver a Z by customer request it is always put a flatbed truck so no miles are accumulated.
I'm in California. Since you work at a dealership...can you answer my question about the dealer being able to find me a new car that just came from japan? Like if i ordered one...Would they try getting one to me faster by getting one freshly off the cargo ships?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

My car was driven 300 miles by a dealer rep to my front door.
Not a problem.

And the car belonged to the dealer until I accepted it & wrote a check.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 AM
EnthusiastZ

A willing dealer would check other dealers for stock and the port before the ordering process. If you are not comfortable with the dealer you are with then go to another.

Originally posted by sokudo9l6
I'm in California. Since you work at a dealership...can you answer my question about the dealer being able to find me a new car that just came from japan? Like if i ordered one...Would they try getting one to me faster by getting one freshly off the cargo ships?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
rocketrich

Derek, DON'T ORDER IT! Find one that most closely fits your needs and buy it. Be patient if you want to be picky. The internet and the phone are all you need and you can shop around for price. The bottom line is that most dealer's will tell you to come visit, place an order, and leave a deposit. You will be left waiting, they won't return your calls, and you'll wonder if they are doing what you've asked them to do (and my experience is out of sight out of mind). Once they've got your deposit, they have no incentive to deliver as promised. Then you have to up the ante and ride them to do what they've already taken a deposit and told you they would do. When your car comes in, if some other customer sees it before you and is willing to pay more for it...they will sell it to the other guy and simply tell you it hasn't come it. Its an agonizing process. Save yourself the hassle. Find a car you want and then go buy it on the spot. It's much less mental anguish. I left a deposit and ordered a car almost a month ago. After several visits and phone calls I've yet to confirm that they've even placed the order. Oh yeah, sometimes they can't order more cars if they haven't sold what they already have (but they won't tell you that, they'll smile take your order, deposit, and promse a quick delivery that they have not intention or capability of delivering on). Good luck, Rich
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 AM
JoneZZZ

I used the nissanusa.com website to build and search for the vehicle that I wanted...searched throughout the midwest for the vehicle that I wanted.

I liked the web search.....I "built" the car of my choice....searched......compromised on what I felt I could compromise on.....and continued to search till the car with the color/options I wanted showed up......and did not have to hassle with salesstaff!!! I told them what was on their lot......

Use the nissanusa.com website.....and be patient.

Good Luck!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
EnthusiastZ

Originally posted by JoneZZZ
I used the nissanusa.com website to build and search for the vehicle that I wanted...searched throughout the midwest for the vehicle that I wanted.

I liked the web search.....I "built" the car of my choice....searched......compromised on what I felt I could compromise on.....and continued to search till the car with the color/options I wanted showed up......and did not have to hassle with salesstaff!!! I told them what was on their lot......

Use the nissanusa.com website.....and be patient.

Good Luck!!!
What is showing on the Nissanusa.com website and what is actually on the ground at the dealership does not always coincide. Trust me!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Camel

Have them get the one you found and specify that it must be put on a flat bed, not driven.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

When I bought my Z (from miles away), I had to pay for getting it to me; $500 for flatbed and $250 for driven. I chose the latter to save $250. I was willing to take the "driven" option because the car belonged to the dealer until I inspected it in my driveway and gave it a test drive.

Risky?

I suppose but my 03 Z has had zero problems (not even a rattle) after 2+ years & 21,000 miles....... other than minor tire feathering. If anything, the 300 miles just reduced the breakin milage for my driving from 1200 to 900 miles. A "benefit" to my leadfoot! LOL!

Come to think of it, we also had our Highlander driven to our door by dealer personnel. That was not a problem eithor. If you can develope a comfort level your dealing with reputable dealers, risk imo is very minor.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:13 AM
sokudo9l6

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Anyways, heres an update. My dealer called me today. They told me that they found one with almost all the options i like and the color i want. But its 100 miles away. They told me the car has been at that dealer for awhile so it's not going to have low mileage. Anyways, they said i can take this one or i can still order one. I'm going to try to see if i have to pay trucking fees to truck the car over here. If not then i'll probably take it.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:18 AM
sokudo9l6

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
When I bought my Z (from miles away), I had to pay for getting it to me; $500 for flatbed and $250 for driven. I chose the latter to save $250. I was willing to take the "driven" option because the car belonged to the dealer until I inspected it in my driveway and gave it a test drive.

Risky?

I suppose but my 03 Z has had zero problems (not even a rattle) after 2+ years & 21,000 miles....... other than minor tire feathering. If anything, the 300 miles just reduced the breakin milage for my driving from 1200 to 900 miles. A "benefit" to my leadfoot! LOL!

Come to think of it, we also had our Highlander driven to our door by dealer personnel. That was not a problem eithor. If you can develope a comfort level your dealing with reputable dealers, risk imo is very minor.
I know what your saying. But this is the thing i'm worried about. My parents have a g35 and when we first got it, the dealer said not to go over certains rpm and speed. I know for sure that if i have a guy drive it to me...he is not going to drive at speeds that is suggested for break-in. And a proper break-in means ALOT to me. You do make a nice point about reduce the breaking in mileage tho. Haha its going to be a looooong month when i get the Z.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

For a 100 miles why not go get it yourself?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:08 PM
sokudo9l6

i thought about that. But heres the situation...i basically have a set price with this dealer. Its a pretty good price and I'm also getting a decent trade-in for my current car if i do decide to trade it in. I agree with you that its only 100miles. I know i can go pick the car up myself but I don't want to drive to another dealer 100miles away and start the whole dealing process again. You did give me another idea tho. I can give this dealer a call...the one that has the car i want. If they can give me the same deal then i can just go down there myself and forget about this dealer i'm dealing with.

side note: It really seems like hes trying to push me into having them locate the car for me. I guess its logical because they would rather finish the deal now than wait for the order to come in...and finish up the paperwork then.

Quick Reply: Needs some opinions before i order.