Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

need a progressive ins. adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a progressive ins. adjuster

I've been happy with progressive, and don't want to switch, but I need a straight answer. I like to drive my Z on the track at HPDEs, and need to know for sure if I will be covered. (HPDE, High Performance Drivers Education, takes place through auto clubs with instructors on race tracks. There is no actual racing, as you can only pass in passing zones when the car in front waves you by. It is not a competition)

Policy service transferred me to claims, who transferred me to a local claims office and the best I can get out of them is that "organized racing is not covered" anything else on a track would be decided after the fact on a case by case basis.

USAA is actually offering me the defensive driving school discount because of HPDE, but they are still a bit more expensive. After a mishap is not when I want to find out progressive won't cover me. Any help?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 AM
328skidpad

Default Progressive-beware

Beware of who you speak to at Progressive.
eg.
2 years ago I hinted to my progressive agent that I may go out to the race track during the 04 summer. He said "wow" you are definitely going to have a fun time with the z. I basically was waiting for him to say " better watch out if you crash because it will not be covered".....he said nothing

3 months later I was rear ended in a parking lot. When I called it in the young Progressive rep asked me if I have been tracking/racing my car. Confused, I asked him how he knew?

He said that my account was "marked" and that if any appraiser would come out to my car he would already have an idea of what could have happened.

I recommend changing you insurance company as Progressive Insurance rates are definitely over inflated. Progressive used to charge me $750 for 6 months, same policy at www.anpac.com $420/6 mo.. Also if you ask any body shop they will tell you that Progressive is known for "low balling" estimates because they have their own "body shop vendors" at are often mediocre at best.

Being 33 years old I have done my share of research regarding good bad insurance companies.
good State Farm Insurance, ANPAC, AIG
bad GEICO, Progressive

good luck...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
jovasi

Default Re: Progressive-beware

Originally posted by 328skidpad
Beware of who you speak to at Progressive.
eg.
2 years ago I hinted to my progressive agent that I may go out to the race track during the 04 summer. He said "wow" you are definitely going to have a fun time with the z. I basically was waiting for him to say " better watch out if you crash because it will not be covered".....he said nothing

3 months later I was rear ended in a parking lot. When I called it in the young Progressive rep asked me if I have been tracking/racing my car. Confused, I asked him how he knew?

He said that my account was "marked" and that if any appraiser would come out to my car he would already have an idea of what could have happened.

I recommend changing you insurance company as Progressive Insurance rates are definitely over inflated. Progressive used to charge me $750 for 6 months, same policy at www.anpac.com $420/6 mo.. Also if you ask any body shop they will tell you that Progressive is known for "low balling" estimates because they have their own "body shop vendors" at are often mediocre at best.

Being 33 years old I have done my share of research regarding good bad insurance companies.
good State Farm Insurance, ANPAC, AIG
bad GEICO, Progressive

good luck...
You're an idiot.

2003z, don't listen to what this guy is saying. I'm an adjuster for Prog. Although I could not give you a definate answer about tracking your car (policies vary from state to state), I do know that Prog does not low-ball anybody and all insurance companies have a list of shops they refer people to, although it is not mandatory that you bring your vehicle there. Insurance companies rate different factors, that's why you may get a better price elsewhere.

Get a clue about what you're talking about before you you go & badmouth a company.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:45 AM
2003z

I've got no problems with progressives rates or claims service. I've gone back and forth between USAA and Progressive over the years as Progressive has service as good as USAA, which is known as the best in CS, and has been more price competitive for the last few years. BUT, saving $300 a year is pointless if I'm not covered on the track.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:53 PM
davuran

I am a progressive adjuster and used to work in the underwriting dept at progressive. Racing is deemed an unacceptable risk on the progressive policy—it will also be seen that way by most other insurance companies. Call policy services and they will give you the same answer…call any insurance customer service dept and see what they say about racing. If they say they do cover a vehicle while racing, get it in writing…and be sure it is not an excluded act in your policy contract…but it probably will be.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:33 PM
davuran

Rates: Jovasi is right, insurance rates can vary a lot…and almost no policy is ever “the same policy”…several factors are taken into consideration including driving record, age, credit, and even what type of insurance you carried right before you start a new policy…this last rating factor known as “pop” (proof of prior) can make rates vary greatly…sometimes more than double. Each ins company usually uses prior limits of liability to put you in a bracket that determines price…
for example:
**no prior insurance the day you start the new policy = higher rates
**high liability limits at State Farm (or any other company) for at least 6 months with no lapse in coverage the day you start any new policy with a different carrier = lower rates
This pop rating factor sticks with you throughout your tenure in a company. And remember insurance is regulated by the state gov…so it all depends on which state you live in and each has its own rules…I worked on 36 states.

Body shops: in my experience the prog network body shops are some of the better ones in the area. They have to be because all network shops are backed by a progressive guarantee on all work performed there for the life of the vehicle. If they were only mediocre shops, then progressive would stand to lose money in fixing repairs that were not done right the first time. In my area there is a waiting list to be a network shop.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
milanista

Suppose you wreck your car during a racing event, and then report the accident at a later time after you left the track and took the car out of there. How is the insurance adjustor ever going to know that the accident happened while racing and not while driving on the public highways? Would you actually tell your insurance rep that you damaged the car while racing? At what time where you born yesterday? Would you like to buy a red bridge outside of San Francisco? I'll sell it to you cheap.....
Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by milanista
Suppose you wreck your car during a racing event, and then report the accident at a later time after you left the track and took the car out of there. How is the insurance adjustor ever going to know that the accident happened while racing and not while driving on the public highways? Would you actually tell your insurance rep that you damaged the car while racing? At what time where you born yesterday? Would you like to buy a red bridge outside of San Francisco? I'll sell it to you cheap.....
There are 2 reasons why he would want to call his adjuster, honesty and openness. Mike probably believes that these two virtues are important, that is why he wants to be prepared to do the right thing.

As for the bridge, I doubt Mike would go for it; although your sales pitch is very compelling.

Last edited by Bini2; 03-03-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
jovasi

Originally posted by davuran
Rates: Jovasi is right, insurance rates can vary a lot…and almost no policy is ever “the same policy”…several factors are taken into consideration including driving record, age, credit, and even what type of insurance you carried right before you start a new policy…this last rating factor known as “pop” (proof of prior) can make rates vary greatly…sometimes more than double. Each ins company usually uses prior limits of liability to put you in a bracket that determines price…
for example:
**no prior insurance the day you start the new policy = higher rates
**high liability limits at State Farm (or any other company) for at least 6 months with no lapse in coverage the day you start any new policy with a different carrier = lower rates
This pop rating factor sticks with you throughout your tenure in a company. And remember insurance is regulated by the state gov…so it all depends on which state you live in and each has its own rules…I worked on 36 states.

Body shops: in my experience the prog network body shops are some of the better ones in the area. They have to be because all network shops are backed by a progressive guarantee on all work performed there for the life of the vehicle. If they were only mediocre shops, then progressive would stand to lose money in fixing repairs that were not done right the first time. In my area there is a waiting list to be a network shop.
I couldn't have said it better myself. If you guys knew the things we have to do all in the name of customer service, it's sickening.

Milanista, what you are describing is insurance fraud which is a felony in most states. Now there is a good chance the adjuster won't catch it & you may get away with it, but would you want to take a chance of jail time.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
capnfrantic

Don't forget your credit rating is being used to quote insurance too....
Old 03-04-2005, 07:25 AM
milanista

Originally posted by Bini2
There are 2 reasons why he would want to call his adjuster, honesty and openness. Mike probably believes that these two virtues are important, that is why he wants to be prepared to do the right thing.
Touche'......