Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC vs. TCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:55 AM
nlsqba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same dilemma... however I am going to buy the enthusuast.

over 2k (+tax) more for this system +stock 18 is just not worth for me.

This is a RWD sports car - and if you push it hard the back will slip (with or without system).
Old 03-18-2005, 10:20 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nlsqba
I had the same dilemma... however I am going to buy the enthusuast.

over 2k (+tax) more for this system +stock 18 is just not worth for me.

This is a RWD sports car - and if you push it hard the back will slip (with or without system).
Have you ever driven a car with VDC before? It's really VERY difficult to get this car offline with the VDC, so your statement about backend slip with or without this system isn't entirely true. This system will not help you in ice or snow though. Nothing can save you if there is no traction to be had at all.

It's interesting how people's thought processes on these things differ. In the end, it's still a Z!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:33 AM
nlsqba

Originally Posted by kcobean
Have you ever driven a car with VDC before? It's really VERY difficult to get this car offline with the VDC, so your statement about backend slip with or without this system isn't entirely true. This system will not help you in ice or snow though. Nothing can save you if there is no traction to be had at all.

It's interesting how people's thought processes on these things differ. In the end, it's still a Z!
I never drove the same cars with and w/o VDC. I used to drive (when I was back in Europe) my Alfa 145 (w. Turbo) and tested one 147 with all those systems - and in my opinion my car handling was as good as the 147. But they were FWD cars though....

If somebody has spare 2k then maybe he should go for it - I rather get some nice wheels.... (or save for a TT kit).
Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never drove the same cars with and w/o VDC. I used to drive (when I was back in Europe) my Alfa 145 (w. Turbo) and tested one 147 with all those systems - and in my opinion my car handling was as good as the 147. But they were FWD cars though....

If somebody has spare 2k then maybe he should go for it - I rather get some nice wheels.... (or save for a TT kit).

VDC has NOTHING to do with the handling of the car anymore than crumple zones have to do with helping to stop your car. It is an emergency system that has to do with saving your bacon when you *exceed* the handling limits of the car. From a performance driving standpoint, VDC is typically turned off because it makes throttle steering very difficult. Under normal conditions however, you cannot tell that VDC is there. When it kicks in, it is brutal about controlling the car. You have to compromise the traction of the car to know it's there. Cruising at high-speeds in a straight line does not involve VDC.

Take your car out and powerslide through a corner (which is a controlled way of simulating loss of control). It's almost impossible to do that in a VDC equipped car but it requires constant power and relatively unequal wheel rotation speeds. These are the things that VDC takes over control of in critical situations.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven the Alpha 147 also. The Z cannot be compared with a FWD econobox of 140hp. It's way WAY more unstable under accelleration, especially in mid-curve.

I've had my Z Track for almost a week now and the VDC has been usefull a couple times already. That thing (the Z) can really bite! I'll turn it off at the track, but on the road where anything can happen, I feel better keeping it ON.

Of course it's your call in the end. But if you can afford it, go for it. (Before a TT in anycases!)
Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 PM
rickyj59

Great posts on this subject. Actually VDC is a hot topic right now and the latest issue of Consumer reports highly reccommends it. I have the performance model with the VDC and the optional side airbags and don't regret it. How much is your life worth? The Z is a cool, fast, well handling car, but it depends on the driver (maturity, skilll, alcohol.....) Put the odds in your favor, get the safest options. I wouldn't want to be meeting Peter at the Pearly Gates and saying " but I really wanted the leather seats, and he says, you should have got the VDC, you would still be down there now"
Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
zownz

Originally Posted by wesbc
This is my current dilemma as well. I would like to get VDC and TCS, but not sure if the additional $2K is justified. And once I look at the Performance, it's only another 1K for the Touring with the leather seat, but don't want the crappy Bose... and once I got to the top model, I start from the Enthusiast again... I'm leaning toward the Performance as you can't really put a price on safety.
whoa whoa whoa
the BOSE isnt crappy at all!!...you have 2 listen to the Z's speakers b4 u make judgement..i install sounds systems on the side..and for a stock car...thsoe things kick a$$ and the quality is awesome!..
and the VDC is worth the $ due 2 resale value and safety
Old 03-20-2005, 12:31 AM
wesbc

Originally Posted by zownz
whoa whoa whoa
the BOSE isnt crappy at all!!...you have 2 listen to the Z's speakers b4 u make judgement..i install sounds systems on the side..and for a stock car...thsoe things kick a$$ and the quality is awesome!..
and the VDC is worth the $ due 2 resale value and safety
I was only quoting what others have said about the Bose system. But either case, I think I would prefer to install my own HU. Thanks to everyone for all their input... I think I'm now leaning definitely toward the Performance and maybe even the track with the brembos!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wesbc
I was only quoting what others have said about the Bose system. But either case, I think I would prefer to install my own HU. Thanks to everyone for all their input... I think I'm now leaning definitely toward the Performance and maybe even the track with the brembos!
Yeah, I've never heard the Bose system myself, but I heard it isn't great. Although, compared to aftermarket, most stock systems are lame.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:14 AM
rjpaterson
Z Enthusiast

Here is Nissan's explination:

VDC is an advanced Vehicle Control System. Compared with current AWD, ABS, TCS systems, this new system enables the vehicle to be handled at the limits of adhesion during cornering, acceleration and braking with greatly improved control, providing safer, smoother driving under all conditions.

For example, you may enter a corner at what you think is the correct speed, but then realize halfway round that your speed is excessive for the road surface. This forces you to overcompensate and lose traction.
Excessive speed on slippery road surfaces can also lead to the car spinning out or even overshooting a corner.

VDC reduces the possibility of such overreactions, assisting the driver to maintain control and avoid accidents. The major difference between VDC and the AWD+ABS+TCS systems is the motion element being controlled. VDC offers 2-dimensional control as opposed to the 1-dimensional control provided by AWD+ABS+TCS. The AWD+ABS+TCS system senses the vehicles speed and acceleration in a straight line only, and uses these data to control braking and driving forces in order to prevent loss of traction.

By contrast, the new VDC system provides 2-dimensional control by also sensing the transversal movement of the vehicle and its yaw (rotation around the perpendicular axis).

It uses these data to predict the vehicle's direction in 2 dimensions and to control it within safe limits. The VDC system recognizes the course a driver wishes to take from the steering wheel angle and vehicle speed. It detects the current driving conditions from the wheel speed sensors, longitudinal and transversal G sensors and the yaw velocity sensor, and simultaneously estimates the coefficient of friction (potential loss of traction) of the road surface. It uses this information to predict the actual direction of the vehicle, and minimizes the difference between the desired and predicted course by controlling the driving and braking forces. When a potentially unstable situation is predicted because the desired course and the cars actual course differ, the braking and driving forces are controlled to regain stability.

Vehicle speed is also limited if necessary by reducing engine output and torque.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:28 AM
JThrilla

^^awesome explanation.....almost a little "too awesome" in fact...hmmm.....haha.

Here's my real world example: Yesterday my dealer wanted to show me what the VDC does. He took me out in the car to a parking lot and cranked the wheel all the way left. In a normal RWD non-VDC system, the car would spin out in circles once the he dumped the gas. The dealer dropped it and instead of just whipping around, the car resisted the back slipping out so that we made a much wider circle. It wouldn't allow the back tires to slide out underneath us. I could feel the VDC kicking in and resisting the motion.

He also took me to a few turns (it was wet here yesterday so it was perfect) and hit them at about 40-45 mph. The car would begin to spin out/fish tail...the back would slide out, then I could feel the VDC "grab" control of the car and correct it. It was really pretty impressive. I was definitely sold on the Performance.