Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Long Lurker, New Member

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:44 AM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Long Lurker, New Member

Hey everyone, I'm Brad, new member, nut like I sad, I have been visiting for a while. Well, I'm 17 and fell in love with the 350Z when I first read about the Sonic Orange concept in Sports Car International (they did an awesome write up on it). Well, through my personal work income (I detail cars) and my parent's generousity, I was able to purchase a Silverstone Touring (6-speed). All I have to say is that Im stoked, and I love the car, have become a Z-car fan, and love this site. Thanks alot jaymanZ!
Old 06-20-2002, 06:55 AM
jeffw

Welcome! I always enjoyed reading your detailing comments on ZCAR. I always thought you were like 40 years old since your posts about detailing made you sound like you had decades of experience.
--
jeff
Old 06-20-2002, 06:58 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Default Welcome aboard!

Just an FYI....when I was 17, I bought a 1966 Mercury Comet with a 289 V8 for $550. I thought I was the *****....
Old 06-20-2002, 07:01 AM
2003z

Default Brad

Brad,
¿Thereçs been a lot of discussion on Zaino and other car care products here. Could you recap what you posted on zcar several months ago about car detailing?

Thanks
Mike, and thanks for that blackfire tip too
Old 06-20-2002, 07:04 AM
Brad4rdHay

Thanks alot guys. Yeah this is without a doubt the best 350z resource, I used to post a few times on that, ahem, other site, but this site just much more informative and up to date. Yeah, I mean I am verry apriciative (sp?) to be able to own a 350z at only 17, and Im pretty modest about it, but Im sure that with that exhaust note speaking for me, it will be hard for me to be modest anymore.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:07 AM
Brad4rdHay

Zaino's good stuff, but I can get a little annoyed with its feverently die-hard users, which are known to others as Zaino Zealots. But its a very slick and durable product, and Sal (the creator) is a great guy. My other favorite polymers (the more durable alternative to carnauba wax) are Blackfire, and Klasse. BTW, a GREAT site you should look at is properautocare.com. They have some of the best stuff you can buy, are very informative, and Terry, the owner, has the best customer service around.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:41 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Brad4rdHay... good to see you...

Based on your post in the "other" quite some time ago... both ex-M3 owner and I bought the Blackfire new car kit.

Picked it up on my last trip to the US.. carried it back... and is now in my car care closet waiting, waiting --

all in preparation for the arrival of my new Z.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:50 AM
Brad4rdHay

Thats good to hear. Blackfire is good stuff. Its not quite as slick (feel wise) as say Zaino, but it looks better IMO, an fact it looks awesome. After a good cleaning, some BF polish, and a layer or two of the protectant and you Z will be looking hot. Another of my favorites is 303 Aerospace Protectant. Its a vinyl and rubber rpotectant, in other words, it s Armor All. But unlike the much loathed Armor All, its not greasy looking and won't cause harm over time. Makes the tires look really nice, but may not be shiny enough for some tastes. Just your daily dose of detailing info.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:25 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Leather

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Thats good to hear. Blackfire is good stuff. Its not quite as slick (feel wise) as say Zaino, but it looks better IMO, an fact it looks awesome. After a good cleaning, some BF polish, and a layer or two of the protectant and you Z will be looking hot. Another of my favorites is 303 Aerospace Protectant. Its a vinyl and rubber rpotectant, in other words, it s Armor All. But unlike the much loathed Armor All, its not greasy looking and won't cause harm over time. Makes the tires look really nice, but may not be shiny enough for some tastes. Just your daily dose of detailing info.
Brad ,in your opinion, what would you use on the lighter colored leather? Also, when you get your car, you can tell us what products will work best with the interior materials in the new 350Z..you are very lucky to be getting a 350Z at age 17, you obviouslly are a responsible young man with a decent work ethic and most likely decent grades. Just try to make sure you don't get any tickets..at 17 they can really hurt. Do you have any idea as to what insurance will run you?
Old 06-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Brad4rdHay

Insurance, ugh dont remind me. Well just put it together, a 17 year old male new driver with a two seat 300hp (hopefully) sportscar. Yeah, insurance is mostly gonna be me but the rents will help me out when I need it. Yeah, and I'll TRY to wach the tickets too.
Leather these days isn't really leather per say. Because you typical American doesnt do s**t to keep his leather seats in good condiotion, they would dry out and crack over the years. So nowadays, at the factory, the leather is sprayed with a thin coating of clear breathable vinyl. So treating modern car leather with oil based treatments (Lexol and such) is 1. Not going to be very affective 2. Could actually be harmfull to the top coating if used often over years.
So you should treat the leather in your Z like you would the vinyl in the dash...keep it clean and keep it protected. To keep it clean, just wipe down periodically with a damp cloth. If its stained or dirty, use a very mild solution of Ivory soap and water or a speacial interior cleaner. To protect, use a water based plastic and vinyl dressing, sush as the aforementioned 303, whoch is exactly what i would use on the rest of the interior (the dash, doors ect) Other good protectants are Vinylex, made by Lexol, and Black Magic Dashboard protectant (not the clear, shiney stuff, that stuff is REALLY bad for rubber/vinyl)
Old 06-20-2002, 10:06 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Default Re: Long Lurker, New Member

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Hey everyone, I'm Brad, new member, nut like I sad, I have been visiting for a while. Well, I'm 17 and fell in love with the 350Z when I first read about the Sonic Orange concept in Sports Car International (they did an awesome write up on it). Well, through my personal work income (I detail cars) and my parent's generousity, I was able to purchase a Silverstone Touring (6-speed). All I have to say is that Im stoked, and I love the car, have become a Z-car fan, and love this site. Thanks alot jaymanZ!
Nice to see I am not the only one that is 17 on here, I am also gettin a silverstone z but mine will be the track model
Old 06-20-2002, 04:54 PM
Sabre

Default Re: Re: Long Lurker, New Member

Originally posted by jtree007

Nice to see I am not the only one that is 17 on here, I am also gettin a silverstone z but mine will be the track model
I'm curious how people at 17 can afford a 35K car.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 PM
J Ritt

As Brad said regarding his situation, "parents' generosity" has a lot to do with a 17 year old having a $35k car. At least he is grateful. I don't see how you could possibly afford a car like this at that age otherwise...you just don't make enough flipping burgers. (And before any 'youngn's' jump down my throat, yes, I know you can do other things than flip burgers when you're 17. It's just that most people that age don't have much income.)

Honestly, if my parents had offered me a Z at 17...I sure as hell wouldn't have argued! Instead, I got to drive my parents' chevy citation occasionally...ugh. I guess it built character.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:33 PM
c350z

I am not knocking any of the young Z owners, but when I have chidren I do not think I will buy them a car like this, with so much power and potential when they have not had years of driving experience. This car is not a toy, it is a serious machine and you have got to handle it maturity, and I know at 17 I didn't have that. It wasn't until I got married that I started driving like life was important and delicate. Anyway I not putting you guys down I am just hoping you drive responsibly. Please, don't let 3 seconds of showing off ruin the rest of your lives or someone elses. Peace and enjoy your Z.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:09 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be suprised how much you can make as a teenager. In HS I began waiting tables, and paid my way through college doing it. Hell, even with taking classes full time, I still made over $35K / year. I even took a bit of a pay cut when I entered the real job market, but I still cater and wait tables part time to supplement my income so that I can afford my Z and road racing hobby.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:49 PM
TCL

Brad, welcome to the forum. To echo what fairladyZ in Japan said, thanks for the advice on the various brands of polymers. I chose the Blackfire new car kit. Just waiting for the car to be delivered and the paint to cure before I give it a shot.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:32 AM
2003z

Default Re: Re: Welcome aboard!

Originally posted by Rocketscientist
My father-in-law has one of those in his garage just waiting for me to restore when I get a big enough garage. Original owner with all original papers/brochures etc!

Quick Reply: Long Lurker, New Member