Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

If you earn it, Then you Deserve it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Destiny350Z
What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't hate on people or be jealous of them because you never know what they went through to get what they have.
Third... Did I say you are jealous? No!!! I was just giving a little life lesson, that you should never be jealous because you don't know what the person has when through to get what he or she has!! I didn't say that you personally, or anyone else on this thread happens to be jealous of me!!!
Then why bring it up? Just to give "a life lesson" when no one in this thread hates nor is jealous of anyone? I'm sorry for your loss, and hope that driving the Z reminds you of him and all the good memories you had when he was alive, but...
Old 03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
pyindeem

Default Well..

There was this saying " YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE"... it did put me in to a E46 when I was uhh.. 20 yrs old, but now I've learned... & understand better why I should "split the $ 3ways"...

INconclusion: I am still getting a Z no matter what , Broke or Rich
Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostTed
difference between someone 22 or older saving 15K for a down payment and someone under 22 saving for a 15K downpayment...

The person who's 22 or older dont make a post and talk about how they are saving 15k for a downpayment. Just go about your day and do it, do what you gotta do. The problem is you got these young kids who feel they have this need to come and announce I'm x yrs old and I worked x jobs to save and pay for my own Z...who cares. I dont care how old or young you are or how you got your Z, just go about it discretly.

agree with this

same goes with saying "I work hard and earn my monthly payments"

isn't that a given to some degree?

It's like saying "I work really hard each month to afford my $30 cell phone bill and I earned it all myself" - yeah so? You mean as in earned it all by yourself just like a big boy?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:26 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt bother me if a rich kid gets a Z from his family, except I think its incredibally unsafe (and not very bright). But some people disagree with me on this.

Anyways, if you get it from daddy, or if you work for it, doesnt matter, I worked hard for mine and am proud of it, and thats what counts.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 AM
TJMAudio

Originally Posted by kcobean
If you put 5K down and tie the rest up in a mutual fund or other secured investment where you can't get to it for a year or two, your monthly payments on the car go up and then the it doesn't fit into your monthly budget.
If you can't afford a car with a $5,000 DP, then you don't need the car. What happens when your job falls through and you have no money saved for that one month? Beep beep, hey look it's the repo man! Maybe you can buy your Z back from a dealer who got it for $10,000 at the state auction!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by TJMAudio
If you can't afford a car with a $5,000 DP, then you don't need the car. What happens when your job falls through and you have no money saved for that one month? Beep beep, hey look it's the repo man! Maybe you can buy your Z back from a dealer who got it for $10,000 at the state auction!
I completely agree with you. I'm just passing along the logic of the original poster, that's all. I don't make car payments on my Z.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 AM
davidgaddy

Good for you man!It is your money that you are working hard for,I'am in your corner all the way.I'am glad to see that you have a goal.With the money that you have now is enough for a downpayment on a used one,depending on what model you want.Some are about 21,000 or 23,000 used.Everyone should be rooting this young man on good luck!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 AM
TJMAudio

Originally Posted by kcobean
I completely agree with you. I'm just passing along the logic of the original poster, that's all. I don't make car payments on my Z.
I am not sure if you meant this or not, but that is the only way to buy a car under $50,000. All cash. If you're saving up $15g for a $30,000 car, why not just save up the other $15g, and not have to worry about a payment?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
kcobean

First of all, I was using the word "hate" as in "player hate." Second did I say that it was normal for a kid to get $30K gift? No I didn't say that, so I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth!! I didn't get my Z just because I was and still am a "good girl" but I got it because I worked hard (it may not have been for money) and I took care of business like I should!! It was a promise that my dad made and mom stuck to it! And it was also a "I'm sorry you don't have a daddy anymore" gift! The Z came out of my part of the settlement money! I pay insurance, my service cost and I pay for my mods! You may have physically worked hard for your car but you have no clue what it was like for me when I lost my dad! You may spend the next five years paying for your Z, but I'll spend the rest of my life without a father! My Z is the only positive thing that came out of my loss! I have tried to look at it from your point of view and I see where you are coming from... now why don't you look at it from mine! Third... Did I say you are jealous? No!!! I was just giving a little life lesson, that you should never be jealous because you don't know what the person has when through to get what he or she has!! I didn't say that you personally, or anyone else on this thread happens to be jealous of me!!! Now, you can think my views on life are "frustratingly unrealistic" until the cows come home!! But then again how would you know what my "life views" are you don't know me!! kcobean, as for as your comment about no one hating me... you could have fooled me!!Because the things you said couldn't have been spoken in a nice tone!
Like it or not, there are some stereotypes that go along with being a teen-ager with a powerful sports car, like: A) If it was a gift, then you must be spoiled, B) You probably aren't mature enough to own a car like this safely, or C) Whether you pay for it or it was given to you, at your age, there are other things that $30K should be doing for you than sitting in the driveway depreciating.

While these stereotypes may or may not apply to you, the point is that if it pisses you off that you get wrongfully stereo-typed just because you are a teen-ager with a sports car, quit telling everyone you're a teen-ager with a sports car or peform a miracle and change the views of all of the older Z owners. It's that simple. But these threads keep popping up over and over (and over) again because teen-agers have this unavoidable urge to come here and brag by making a spectacle of their age, which is like strapping a bulls-eye to your chest and telling every gainfully employed, self-sustaining reader to level their guns at you with their opinions.

The original poster, IMHO is more deserving of the car than many because not only is he in school, he's making a concious decision to sacrifice incredibly to buy the car on his own. While I don't really agree with it financially, at least he's walking into it with his eyes wide open, so if the car bites him in the @$$, he can only look in the mirror to point a finger.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 AM
tacomaboy

I dont think B or C are stereotypes.
B: Its a proven fact that teenagers are less safe drivers

C: Unless said teenager is rich, it IS a better decision for them to spend their money on college or even trying to buy their first home... after all, they do have a long time left to get a Z, and its better to buy the house first than the Z, at least, it was for me.

A: though, is a stereotype, just because you are rich doesnt mean you are spoiled. And, although having a Z given to you may be an act of spoiling, it doesnt *make* you spoiled.

To each his own though, this is America after all. I know I wont be buying my children sports cars.

But yes, if you brag about how you are 16 or 17 and got a free 350Z, then you should expect to catch some crap. But maybe you are too young to have learned this lesson yet.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:45 AM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

man , never again will I post something like this , my bad guys
Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 AM
tacomaboy

LOL these all get nasty, and there have been more and more recently.

Just enjoy your car and be safe huh?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:13 AM
kcobean

I am not sure if you meant this or not, but that is the only way to buy a car under $50,000. All cash. If you're saving up $15g for a $30,000 car, why not just save up the other $15g, and not have to worry about a payment?
Yep, that is exactly what I meant.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:18 AM
B-Unit

FOkin great, i love this site!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Bat

Some people might do it to help thier credit. That is why I will have payments on my Z instead of buying it outright once I finish college. I want to improve my credit, and I think a good way of doing that is to buy a car and make the payments on it. I will figure out how much the payments will be well before I buy it, and make the payments to myself for a year or two to make sure I can keep up with them, then use that money for the downpayment and finance the rest.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:24 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
FOkin great, i love this site!!!!
Are all of your other 423 posts this productive?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Bat
Some people might do it to help thier credit. That is why I will have payments on my Z instead of buying it outright once I finish college. I want to improve my credit, and I think a good way of doing that is to buy a car and make the payments on it. I will figure out how much the payments will be well before I buy it, and make the payments to myself for a year or two to make sure I can keep up with them, then use that money for the downpayment and finance the rest.
That's not a bad thought process as long as you're not getting raped on your APR. If you are, then the cost of improving your credit may not be worth it. You sound like you've though it out though.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
After seeing early 20's in Ferrari's...

I honestly don't give a shiet who's driving my sub 30k car.

Some kid just got his license and daddy bought his car, good for him. Some 70 year old living up his younger years with a respirator attached to the rear strut bar, good for him too!

If you like it, save and buy it. All that matters at the end of the day is what it means to you, and if you can really appreciate it. Don't let all these subjective views constitute what makes you happy in your own life. Cuz obviously they wouldn't be complaining if they were happy in theirs.

Good luck.
Your key point here is in the second sentence of the last paragraph. Appreciation of what one has is the real issue here with younger people and nice cars. When I was 17, my parents paid for half of my new Mustang GT 5.0. I valued it, took care of it, and appreciated what I had. The real problem is when young kids feel ENTITLED to having nice cars because mommy and daddy have $$$$. These kids are arrogant, don't appreciate what they have, and somehow think they are superior due to their parents status. And....at 17, if one works hard and saves for a car, they should be congratulated. At age 17, if you have no other real obligations, it is something to feel proud about and brag about. Good for you!!! It's a good thing to work and save for. Doing so takes dicipline, commitment and keeping your eye on a goal.....all things that will benefit later throughout life. On the other hand, if you spent money saved for your college tuition on a car, you need to have a good reality check, but that is really a different point. Periodically, when you work, you do need to reward yourself for that work, whether at age 17, 37 or 57. I'm not about to own beater cars until I'm 70, then use all that I have saved to buy a Bentley, for instance. It's really all about attitude.

Last edited by Speedracer; 03-21-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Your key point here is in the second sentence of the last paragraph. Appreciation of what one has is the real issue here with younger people and nice cars. When I was 17, my parents paid for half of my new Mustang GT 5.0. I valued it, took care of it, and appreciated what I had. The real problem is when young kids feel ENTITLED to having nice cars because mommy and daddy have $$$$. These kids are arrogant, don't appreciate what they have, and somehow think they are superior due to their parents status. And....at 17, if one works hard and saves for a car, they should be congratulated. At age 17, it is something to feel proud about and brag about. Good for you!!! It's a good thing to work and save for. Doing so takes dicipline, commitment and keeping your eye on a goal.....all things that will benefit later throughout life. Periodically, when you work, you do need to reward yourself for that work, whether at age 17, 37 or 57. I'm not about to own beater cars until I'm 70, then use all that I have saved to buy a Bentley, for instance. It's really all about attitude.

I agree with most of what you've said. I think delayed gratification is a key principle though. Buying a car like this now, even with a hefty down payment means that as a senior in H.S., you're graduating college by the time the car is payed off. The amount of lifestyle and personal change that will happen during that time is enormous. The social and recreational activities that will be foregone because of obligation to the car loan and other car related debts are irreplaceable. It's hard to see all this when a) you want the car so bad you can taste it, and b) 5 years is almost 1/3 of your current life-span, so it's hard to get your head around how long that really is. I'm all for rewarding hard work, but when the reward is so costly that it affects the future, it's too much. Just my opinion.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Mantis3024

Word of advice to prospective Z owners, particularly young ones. For the 1-millionth time, the Z is a sports car so throw practicality out the window. Sure, you may be able to afford the monthly car and insurance payments, but can you afford the impracticality that it comes with? The most you can do with the car is drive it. I personally think the Z is a great car to have but only as a second car. If you have $15k to blow on a car, don't jump the gun so quickly. Spend some and invest some. It'll pay off in the long run.

Quick Reply: If you earn it, Then you Deserve it