Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moved to Europe with 350z - Autobahn is awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005 | 06:15 AM
sselway

Thumbs up Moved to Europe with 350z - Autobahn is awesome.

I moved to Ramstein Germany a few months ago to work on a Government contract with USAFE. On Saturday I drove my 350z roadster for the first time on the autobahn heading towards Saarbrucken. I averaged 115 mph for about 20 minutes and managed to get to 141 mph before I had to slow down because of a car ahead of me.

It was beyond words. It was everything I imagined it would be. Although the wind noise at 140+ gets excessive I could still manage to hear the stereo. Anyone else in the forum live in Germany? Anyone else driven on the autobahn with their 3fitty?

Cheers mates.
Old 03-21-2005 | 06:17 AM
rxtrom

That is really cool.
Did you get any competition? =)
Old 03-21-2005 | 06:19 AM
sselway

Originally Posted by rxtrom
That is really cool.
Did you get any competition? =)
Nope.
Old 03-21-2005 | 07:42 AM
OneFast944Turbo

VERY COOL,
Make sure what ever tires are on your roadster, are rated for that speed... The last thing you would want is a tire fail at 140mph...
Old 03-21-2005 | 09:00 AM
Neo105

Welcome to europe fellow 350z lover!

The autobahn is awesome isnt it? My work makes me drive to germany about 2 times a week

And about that competition... mind you that cars cost **** over there, so you will run into some badass Bimmers and Benzes, if not worse

I would love driving my Z on the autobahn... can't wait... oh well... 1 week to go
Old 03-21-2005 | 09:02 AM
Neo105

BTW How did you ship your Z to Germany? By boat to Holland i guess? How much did it cost you? because i want to attend to next years ZdayZ so i would like to know what the shipping cost were
Old 03-21-2005 | 10:42 AM
Zcool

I know you had a blast. I've been thinking of taking my Z there next year when I move to Munich. Did you have the goernment ship your car or did you use a private company? If so, how did that work out? Cost and care wise?
Old 03-21-2005 | 11:41 AM
hypeiv

if you come up on a car don't they have to get out of your way?...

Sometimes I wish they had that law in America... I hate passing people on the right and weiving in traffic but there is always some moron going slow in the left lane. I sometimes flash my headlights but I think some people think thats rude and make a point not to get out my way. I personally think its safer if slower traffic keeps to the right but oh well.

I would love to drive my Z autobahn btw
Old 03-21-2005 | 12:12 PM
Neo105

Well there isn't any law for it, but since there is no speed limit, people don't "think" you are driving too fast, so most of the time if they see you coming they will move out of the way
Old 03-21-2005 | 12:14 PM
Mantis3024

Originally Posted by sselway
I moved to Ramstein Germany a few months ago to work on a Government contract with USAFE. On Saturday I drove my 350z roadster for the first time on the autobahn heading towards Saarbrucken. I averaged 115 mph for about 20 minutes and managed to get to 141 mph before I had to slow down because of a car ahead of me.

It was beyond words. It was everything I imagined it would be. Although the wind noise at 140+ gets excessive I could still manage to hear the stereo. Anyone else in the forum live in Germany? Anyone else driven on the autobahn with their 3fitty?

Cheers mates.
You have lived my dream. Except in my dream, Im in a Porsche GT
Old 03-21-2005 | 01:49 PM
Alonjar

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Sometimes I wish they had that law in America... I hate passing people on the right and weiving in traffic but there is always some moron going slow in the left lane. I sometimes flash my headlights but I think some people think thats rude and make a point not to get out my way. I personally think its safer if slower traffic keeps to the right but oh well.

Actually, the law does exist in America. You *must* yield to passing (read: faster) traffic if there are lanes to your right, even if the person is exceeding the speed limit.

Sadly, the law isnt really enforced.

It is one of my pet peeves when some moron is going 5-10 under the limit in the fast lane and fails to allow people to pass. If my road rage kicks in, and I eventually get past them on the right or whatever, I get in front of them and slam on my brakes. I then drive, and slam on my brakes again. Repeat untill the person gets the point and moves to the slow lane. You'd actually be surprised at just how effective this method is....
Old 03-21-2005 | 02:24 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alonjar
It is one of my pet peeves when some moron is going 5-10 under the limit in the fast lane and fails to allow people to pass. If my road rage kicks in, and I eventually get past them on the right or whatever, I get in front of them and slam on my brakes. I then drive, and slam on my brakes again. Repeat untill the person gets the point and moves to the slow lane. You'd actually be surprised at just how effective this method is....

so in essense, you become the bigger dick, nice
Old 03-21-2005 | 02:41 PM
Neo105

Since i have all my drivers licences i drove trucks when i was out of a job, you know how many accidents i have seen by people braking in front of others? what if the guy was not paying attention thus staying on the left lane, and he doesnt notice you braking... and then what? Guess what, he'll rear end you, maybe he bounces of the center rail and hits another car, full of people... would you like that on your conscience?

Please don't do that...
Old 03-21-2005 | 03:01 PM
BigMoeTaki42

^ Yeah watch what you do on the road man, I know road rage can kick in but you gotta control your temper, especially when you're behind the wheel of a 3300 pound car goin 70+ mph.

Anyway, you are one lucky bastard sselway, it must be a blast to drive this car at 140 mph. Not that I've tried it or anything...
Old 03-21-2005 | 08:07 PM
Alonjar

I think I exaggerated my meaning. I know I said "slam" on my brakes, but I was just being dramatic. I have no desire to get my rear end smashed in by someone who has already proven their inconsideration/inattentiveness for other drivers, let alone cause a multi-car pileup of other equally agitated drivers. Instead, I simply slow down in a normal fashion, but a good 15-20 mph under the limit. My goal isn’t to scare them, or almost cause an accident. I simply go slow enough to become an annoyance to that person, as they were to the rest of us, which usually forces them into the right lane. At which point I speed up and am on my way again, and the whole line of 10-20 cars who have been held up are now able to freely pass the slow driver.

I just wanted to clear that up, because I would think someone "slamming" on the brakes for any non-life threatening reason would be a dick as well. I try to be a nice guy
Old 03-21-2005 | 08:35 PM
Acree

Originally Posted by Alonjar
I think I exaggerated my meaning. I know I said "slam" on my brakes, but I was just being dramatic. I have no desire to get my rear end smashed in by someone who has already proven their inconsideration/inattentiveness for other drivers, let alone cause a multi-car pileup of other equally agitated drivers. Instead, I simply slow down in a normal fashion, but a good 15-20 mph under the limit. My goal isn’t to scare them, or almost cause an accident. I simply go slow enough to become an annoyance to that person, as they were to the rest of us, which usually forces them into the right lane. At which point I speed up and am on my way again, and the whole line of 10-20 cars who have been held up are now able to freely pass the slow driver.

I just wanted to clear that up, because I would think someone "slamming" on the brakes for any non-life threatening reason would be a dick as well. I try to be a nice guy
all good intended, people who get the same feelings u do, and do the same stuff u "exaggerated" doing is why i am GLAD we dont have an autbahn here in america. i'm sorry, but americans dont know how to f*cking drive.
Old 03-21-2005 | 08:38 PM
NorCal350

yes, and that dick in the fast lane going really slow sucks, especially in my lovely 2 lane freeway!!!!!! i shouldnt take me 30 minutes to go 10 miles! It just shouldnt!
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:19 AM
sselway

Originally Posted by OneFast944Turbo
VERY COOL,
Make sure what ever tires are on your roadster, are rated for that speed... The last thing you would want is a tire fail at 140mph...
I will have to check into that. I do know that they were properly inflated.
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:20 AM
sselway

Originally Posted by Neo105
BTW How did you ship your Z to Germany? By boat to Holland i guess? How much did it cost you? because i want to attend to next years ZdayZ so i would like to know what the shipping cost were
Not sure what the cost for the nissan itself but for 2 cars and about 3000 lbs of personal goods.. it cost a little over $12k. I figure you can get a car shipped for about $2k.
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:27 AM
sselway

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
You have lived my dream. Except in my dream, Im in a Porsche GT
Yes sir that would be awesome. I have found that my car is somewhat of a rarity none the less. In the last 2 1/2 months I have seen only a handful of 350z's and most of them were owned by americans. I have yet to see another roadster, but perhaps it's a bit premature since the weather is just now getting nicer out. Also I heard somewhere that they havent released the roadster in Germany yet?

There are so many bimmers around here that if one was to buy you would literally need to buy an M5 to get some attention. Or you could buy a 350z and people will stare, point, and oggle at you. Not something I enjoy really unless they happen to be german females.

Quick Reply: Moved to Europe with 350z - Autobahn is awesome.