Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I buy an auto or a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there isn't as much modding support for the auto Z. There's no aftermarket radiators for the auto Z for instance

The auto Z is a nice car, but is almost always going to be tamer than a manual.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Livn-4-Tdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Don't worry... I hear they are starting a ATA (AT anonymous) meetings soon.
I guess that's what I get for just walking in and falling in love with the damn Z as soon as I saw it....drove it home that night...and then started my research. LOL!! Oh well.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Aggro_Al

Do a search and you'll see that MT vs AT is a long on going debate. Consider everybody's opinion but in the end make your own decision. There is no way any of us know what you'll like or regret. I'm not sure why this question is asked as often as it is. The easiest, most definate way to find out which version is better for you is to go out and drive both of them and choose which ever one you like better.

If you are worried about the performance between the 5AT and 6MT, stop worrying because the difference is insignificant. Just be wary of some of the things the 6MT Fanboys say. Most car enthusiats know there is a difference between the 6MT and the 5AT and just accept it. The 6MT Fanboys will use misconceptions or out right false statements to say they are the best but when pressed to explain or prove their statements they usually will fall short.

Good luck and let us know which Z you get.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 AM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
If you are worried about the performance between the 5AT and 6MT, stop worrying because the difference is insignificant.
thats one thing about the domestic scene I like more than this import scene is there are far fewer stick fanboys. The 6mt drivers will tell you your car will be slower and you can't mod it but thats for the most part untrue. It is true you will have have more trouble if you go full blown FI but if you stick with normal bolt ons the 5at will not limit you. So unless your planning on doing extreme mods, performance is a very weak argument for 6mt.

The best argument for 6mt is personal prefrence. As many people have stated before in this thread they wouldn't feel right driving a Z that was automatic. I say if your on the fence go with the stick b/c you want to be 100% sure before you buy an auto. I wouldn't let not knowing how to drive strick force you to with the auto... but on the other hand I wouldn't let your stick fanboy friends force you to buy a 6mt.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
B-Unit

I got a stick because I was sick of everybody saying, o dayum, you have a Z, Is it stick? Had to be able to say yes.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:31 AM
JDUB34

ive also noticed that you will find many more people who regret getting an auto instead of a manual...

however, ive yet to see a post from someone who currently has a manual and that wishes they got an auto instead... im sure there are some out there.. but seems pretty rare to me.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
kitkos

Always remember the 3 rules for buying a SPORTS CAR...
1. 2 seats maximum
2. Rear Wheel Drive
3. Manual Transmission

Get the stick. You will regret not getting it later. And quite frankly .... I enjoy all of that 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4
Old 03-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by kitkos
Get the stick. You will regret not getting it later. And quite frankly .... I enjoy all of that 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4
Hhaha. I laughed at that.

Back to my original post, I think what you're worried about the most is comfort. After all sel, you did say the following: "a few people have been advising me to get an auto because i'll get sick of changing from 1-2, 2-1, 1-2 etc..."

Again, most posts are basing their replies on the fact that Z = Sports Car = MT Only. Aggro_Al is right, you do need to make your own decision. I'm not basing my reply on whether or not you are good at a MT. You never even stated that, but what I will tell you is that shifting constantly in rush hour traffic is *not* as big of a deal as people say. Just ask yourself, would you mind (when in the city), shifting from 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4 ALL THE TIME? If you have even the slightest hesitation in answering, then you've answered your question.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
-Ben-

Autos are so ho hum boring....get a stick...have a blast!

Ben
Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 PM
RNL323
Mod My Ride

MT vs AT... The debate continues. You MT guys make me laugh!

I'm in the manual mode 80% of the time. The other 20% I'm in the auto because the traffic here is the worst on the planet (san francisco) or my clients are calling me on my cell phone or I'm changing CD's, drinking Tullys or Petes...you get the point. That 20% is crucial for me and my life/driving style.

It really comes down to the type of driver you are or the environment you are driving in. Sure you might be off a few tenths on your 1/4 but there are AT's out there with turbos, exhaust, etc.. Whoever said that you need an MT to be in the "modding scene" is totally wrong. Check out that black Z in Import Tuning last month...Its an AT and has a turbo amongst other mods!

I still hit 141 mph with still some juice left on the tach!!! I don't try to race people at every light or try to hit top speed every time I'm on the freeway. At the same time, I am still an aggressive driver but I love the option I have in my Z. Fits me perfectly.

Whatever you decide, you're still gettting a Z! Welcome!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Livn-4-Tdy
I have AT. With the Jersey traffic I didn't want to deal with the MT. I've only had my Z for like a month and am already regretting not getting the MT...I just know it would be that much more fun driving. If I had to do it again..even with this crazy traffic I would get the MT.

-Holly
I feel your pain, but don't care! I'll drive a MT anywhere.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no regrets with my auto. I use the manual mode most of the time and never miss a shift. I do drive my Z hard that is why it dynoed 264 whp with just the exhaust!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Livn-4-Tdy

Originally Posted by -Ben-
Autos are so ho hum boring....get a stick...have a blast!

Ben
Either way..MT or AT, the "Z" is ANYTHING but boring!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Livn-4-Tdy

I'm still trying to get used to the manual mode of AT. It's weird for me to get used to shifting with no clutch.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
JDUB34

I use the manual mode most of the time and never miss a shift.
u never miss a shift cuz its not really manual... unless there is a clutch involved.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by Livn-4-Tdy
I'm still trying to get used to the manual mode of AT. It's weird for me to get used to shifting with no clutch.
It does take a little getting used to. When I first got my 5AT, I kept finding myself lifting off the throttle when I shifted. The 5AT likes level or accelerating throttle during shifts which is the opposite of basic MT shifting. It took a little bit of conscious effort to learn how to shift the 5AT right. There are a few other things you'll have to learn to drive the 5AT correctly but there's probably nothing you can do to damage it while you're learning. I drove a Honda Civic with MT for a week while my Z was in the shop and I found myself lifting off the throttle again when I went back. There was one good thing that came out of it though I found out I really don't miss using an MT as long as I have a AT as good as the Z's.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by JDUB34
u never miss a shift cuz its not really manual... unless there is a clutch involved.
Sounds like Fanboy talk. What is your point? Why can't you manually shift in "Manual Mode" with the 5AT? In 5AT manual-mode, I shift and the gear changes. How is that different from shifting anytime with the 6MT? Plus removing the clutch pedal allows the transmission to shift faster. Let's see a human shift as fast as a F1 or a Triptronic.

All mainstream car transmissions use a clutch. It doesn't matter if it's MT or AT. The 5AT lets you manually shift anytime you want with the added benefit of not missing a shift, not stalling and protection from excessive over-revving.

Originally Posted by kitkos
Always remember the 3 rules for buying a SPORTS CAR...
1. 2 seats maximum
2. Rear Wheel Drive
3. Manual Transmission

Huh?!
Porsches have back seats.
Nissan Skyline GT-R has AWD and Lotus Elan has FWD
Ferrari, Lamborgini, Aston Martin and AMG come with auto trannys.

As much as I love the Z, if I had to choose one sports car I would choose those over the Z.

Had a MT got an AT and I have no regrets. How much later do I have to wait to regret it? It's strange that there are more 6MT Fanboys that regret getting a 5AT even though they've never had one or driven one than people that actually have 5ATs and wished they had 6MTs. Glad you enjoy doing all that shifting. I enjoy shifting occassionally too, I just don't like using the pedal anymore.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 03-23-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

You can always do a manual swap later for probably 3-5k. But why would you want an auto in the first place.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 PM
JDUB34

Why can't you manually shift in "Manual Mode" with the 5AT? In 5AT manual-mode, I shift and the gear changes. How is that different from shifting anytime with the 6MT? Plus removing the clutch pedal allows the transmission to shift faster. Let's see a human shift as fast as a F1 or a Triptronic.
whoa there... alil defensive arent we? u dont know how shifting in a "manumatic" 5AT is different from shifting anytime in a 6MT? can u stall the engine in a 5AT? even F1 cars have a paddle clutch... but if it makes u feel better tellin urself that your doing the same thing in your manumatic 5AT as someone driving a 6MT then ok... good for you.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:38 PM
shimz350z

no regrets here...as long as my auto keeps on hitting the right gear when I put the pedal to the metal, I'm happy.

The only reason I miss having a manual is to be able to feel the car better psychologically.

I have no regrets on my auto...it's so comfortable to just drive daily. When I make more money then comes the manual.

Need best of both worlds...with speeeeeeeeeeeed.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an auto or a manual?