Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I buy an auto or a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:33 PM
sel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy an auto or a manual?

Hey everyone,

Have decided that I will definately buy a Z. I will be getting a Track. However, since I drive 54miles per day: equates to 1hr each way (good traffic it is lol), to uni and back, through the city traffic, a few people have been advising me to get an auto because i'll get sick of changing from 1-2, 2-1, 1-2 etc...

Can anyone with experience with both transmissions or either give me an opinion because I will be driving to uni for another 4 years so need to make a good decision.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 09:37 PM
JDUB34

i think track only comes in manual...

just my personal opinion and preference but i definitely think u need to get a manual for a car like this... its almost like buying a ferrari with an automatic transmission... it doesnt do the car justice.. your missing out on some of the "purity" of the driving experience... if u want something more comfortable to drive and more relaxing in traffic, might aswell just get a sedan..

just my thoughts.. im sure alot of happy automatic Z drivers here will disagree with me though =)

by the way.. my first car was a manual and i used to have to drive in crazy traffic (10, 101, 405) in california during rush hours and ppl who live here know its no joke.. it would get annoying to drive a stick shift during those bumper to bumper traffic times and eventually it bothered me enough that when it came time to get a new car... i got an auto..i regretted it everyday for 5 years and couldnt wait to get my Z in a manual transmission..

if i got a luxury car id probably go with an auto though.. but for now, the joy i get from shifting through the gears on a wide open street more than makes up for those times i am stuck in traffic.

Last edited by JDUB34; 03-22-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Track does not come in Auto, never has never will!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:40 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by JDUB34
i think track only comes in manual...

just my personal opinion and preference but i definitely think u need to get a manual for a car like this... its almost like buying a ferrari with an automatic transmission... it doesnt do the car justice.. your missing out on some of the "purity" of the driving experience... if u want something more comfortable to drive and more relaxing in traffic, might aswell just get a sedan..

just my thoughts.. im sure alot of happy automatic Z drivers here will disagree with me though =)
+1

BTW...Good luck & let us know what you end up with!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's in Australia, guys. Models are different "down under" than here.

If you don't have a lot of stop & go traffic I'd say the manny tranny but this is really personal choice.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree w/ Rat. If you live in a big-city-type environment, an auto might be more beneficial. But a manual will always be more fun.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by JDUB34
the joy i get from shifting through the gears on a wide open street more than makes up for those times i am stuck in traffic.
My thoughts exactly!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
sel

Wink

Yeah I wanted the manual originally, because the way i think is, If i'm going to buy a z in auto, there goes half the fun. Just people around me suggested I get a manual.

In addition, most of my friends have 4 cylinder turbo rice rockets, I can't wait till they get to observe my sexy z's behind, I'm sure they'll get used to it . I can't wait till we're on the role, they have no chance.

Btw, to our observant friend well done. In Aus, we have the Touring, Track, Roadster and the 35th was released this month.All of these model come with an optional 5 speed auto, except for the 35th which is strictly manual.

Thanks again guys.
PS. Does anyone have any experience with the factory nismo accessories, any feedback and knowledge about the productrs would be good, otherwise if anyone suggests better alternatives, would be better. But i'm not in a position to go for FI because thats too costly at the moment, so I was thinking more towards cold air intake, exhaust etc the smaler things
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 PM
B-Unit

Its a tuff decision, what else are you planning on using the car for? If your buying the car because you like the way it looks and your planning on keeping it stock and just driving it to work and back, taking it out on weekends whatever, get an auto.

If you plan on modding it and fixing it up nice and driving it like an animal and just being agreesive with it, then get a manual. Honestly tho, if ur gonna be fixing it up, get a manual, the whole "car modding" scene demands u have a manual.

Just my .02c
Old 03-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Devrbd

It definitely all depends on where you live. I was dead set on getting a manual and ignored all suggestions by other people to consider an automatic. I always believed sports cars should always be manuals. I testdrove 4 manuals and at the suggestion of the dealer test drove an automatic just to be sure. I ended up buying a 2005 SB Touring AT. In the Philly area there's just way too much traffic and traffic lights. Z's hate crawling around in traffic as it is and i can't imagine doing it in a manual. However if you live in an area that's not so congested, definitely get a manual.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
Its a tuff decision, what else are you planning on using the car for? If your buying the car because you like the way it looks and your planning on keeping it stock and just driving it to work and back, taking it out on weekends whatever, get an auto.

If you plan on modding it and fixing it up nice and driving it like an animal and just being agreesive with it, then get a manual. Honestly tho, if ur gonna be fixing it up, get a manual, the whole "car modding" scene demands u have a manual.

Just my .02c

I deffinantley agree with everything in this post. I think it really depends on your driving skills with a manual. If you can drive manual really good, then you won't even notice it in traffic, you will just be so used to it that it will be something you do unconsciously.

I suggest a manual, but I might be a little biased
Like another post said, getting on a wide open road and shifting through all gears makes up more than enough for the traffic (and believe me, Miami traffic is horrible as well).
Old 03-23-2005, 05:50 AM
nlsqba

From my own experience get the stick. Sooner or later you will regret getting an auto.

I used to drive sticks for a few years then I moved to Chicago and people "convinced" me that I should get AT because of the whole traffic thing. So I bought Celica GT-S with auto.... and that was the biggest mistake. I kept the car for 18 months and never was really happy with my decision. Now I have MT Z - and trust me... it is a lot of fun
Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

You're in Australia huh? If I was in Australia I would have a Holden Monaro. That thing is bad ***. For those of you that don't know, the Holden Monaro is the car that our new Pontiac GTO is based off. Our GTO looks to much like a generic Pontiac IMO.

Sorry to steal the thread. LOL I get side tracked easily.

Like everyone else has said, heavy traffic...get auto, no traffic...get manual.
Next time you commute to work think about when you would have to shift and see if you're getting stuck in traffic and doing the 1-2,2-1,1-2 thing a lot. Even better, if the car you have now has tiptronic or manumatic or click shift (you know what I'm talking about) use it and see if the shifting gets annoying.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Livn-4-Tdy

I have AT. With the Jersey traffic I didn't want to deal with the MT. I've only had my Z for like a month and am already regretting not getting the MT...I just know it would be that much more fun driving. If I had to do it again..even with this crazy traffic I would get the MT.

-Holly
Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Faluzure

Here's my 2 cents. This isn't about whether or not you've ever driven an MT. What it boils down to is the comfort since you say people recommended you get an Auto due to the traffic. I'm 24 years old and have been driving since 16 years old. I've driven an automatic all my life and my first MT was the Z I got back in November. My daily commute is through rush hour (morning & night), as I have to go downtown to get to work. I drive the Z as much as possible just because it's fun to drive. I can assure you those people telling you that you'll get sick of constantly changing gears is overexaggerated. It really isn't that bad (plus it keeps you alert).
Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
nancie

This kind of car u definitely Have to get a manual transmission!! Why even bother if u get an automatic......just personal opinion........
Old 03-23-2005, 08:13 AM
rxtrom

Manual is worth:
Leaving for work earlier to avoid traffic as well as leaving earlier etc.
Taking the Public Transportation to work every now and then
Tolerating the traffic for now, b/c you know you can open her up later
Just my .02
Rob
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Livn-4-Tdy

Originally Posted by nancie
This kind of car u definitely Have to get a manual transmission!! Why even bother if u get an automatic......just personal opinion........

Now I'm even more depressed then I already was for getting AT.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Andre the Giant

I'm pretty happy with my AT Z. I've never had any remorse about not getting the manual. My last car was a MG Midget with a great little 4-speed transmission, driving around town was bearable. Out on the open road, and in the twisties, the MT was very nice.

I've found that in the Z, the Manual shift mode is good enough to keep that feeling alive, and in the city, the Auto is a godsend.

It all boils down to what you are used to and what you want out of your Z. If you want the purity and control of a Manual transmission sports car, go for it. If you would like to be able to drive it without the effort of shifting through the gears, and also be able to open it up and shift manually when you want to, go with the AT. One thing's for sure, you don't lose much performance with the Auto.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 AM
rxtrom

Originally Posted by Livn-4-Tdy
Now I'm even more depressed then I already was for getting AT.
Don't worry... I hear they are starting a ATA (AT anonymous) meetings soon.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an auto or a manual?