Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

OPINIONS NEEDED: 350Z vs ACURA TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPINIONS NEEDED: 350Z vs ACURA TL

Trying to figure out which one would be the better choice. So I'd figure i turn to you guys for some advice.

I'm in the market to get a car. Its going to be a 4yr lease.

2005 Acura TL 5AT or 2005 350Z enthusiast 5AT

here is the thing... i'm not sure which one is practical. these are both 2 VERY different cars. I'm always used to coupes and small cars. But being 28 and its going to be a 4 yr lease, i'm starting to think slightly future wise. I have no wife/kids/gf but in 4yrs anything can change. Mainly now i'm in the car alone and barely drive anyone. so would getting 4dr car be good.

I like TL for the fact its refined, has everything you need. A bit more upscale. I still like to open it up once in a while and drive fast/take corners so just wondering if the TL will be good for it.

The Z on the other hand is soo much what i always like... basic... no leather no frils... just a car to have fun in. Plus in NYC are i dont see that many. TL's are a dime a dozen. Love the engine and the handling... power. But the only draw back is not trunk space and would not fit more then 2. So thinkking if i will outgrow the car fast.

Both of these cars will get about 15k a year on them. will be Heavy on daily driving and will need to go through winter and NYC bumper to bumper traffic. No matter what car i end up with ... there will be slightly moded (cause YOU JUST HAVE TO)
Price wise the Z is slightly cheaper per month but more expensive in insurance.

So help me out here.... which one would you go for.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Phalocke
The Immortal

The Z is really not a practical car and if you are not sure I would go with the Acural TL if I was in your situation. Four years is a long time so anything could happen. In my situation, the Z works out perfect for me.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:51 AM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by myGspot
So help me out here.... which one would you go for.
I was in a similar situation but it was between the IS300 and the 350z. Beyond the test drive I didn't know the 0-60 or 1/4 mile. I could tell the Z was faster than the is300 and faster than my old car so thats all I cared about. For me the choice was made easy when I went to get insurance quotes and the is300 was a lot more. The Z was more flashy and I liked the idea of giving a 2 seater a try. The is300 was more money and less flashy and I just couldn't get excited enough about it to spend the extra money. I am only 23 now and in 5 years I doubt I could really get excited about driving a TL unless I needed a car like that (but I am a little biased). I hear its not that hard to turn in leases early but I have no experiance with that. If you get married and have a kid in the next 2 or 3 years the fact you may have to pay some fee's to turn in your car will be worth it most likely so I wouldn't rule the Z out just b/c of that (don't want to become a slave to the wife you don't even have yet ).

It really comes down to do you want something flashy or professional. The g35c would be a good compromise between these two cars and they hold their value well so they lease well too, but for me the g35c was more expensive than the Z in insurance.

Last edited by hypeiv; 03-27-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Z-INCOGNITO

I love the TL... it's an awesome car. You know yourself better than any of us so get what is more practical for you. 4yr lease is a long time tho, maybe get a 2 yr lease on the Z then get something better or more practical when need be (say Wife, kid, etc..)

Good luck
Old 03-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Faluzure

I agree, the TL is an amazing car. I have a 350Z and my brother has a G35c. He's going to buy a TL for his wife pretty soon, so we took a look at those. The TL is really more refined and upscale than even the G35c. The G35c compared to the 350Z (interior-wise), is much better.

As for power, you can't go wrong with the 350Z or G35c. The TL is a little weaker, but you can still have fun with it. I mean heck, you can have fun in a regular 2.5 Altima. The TL has pep to it.

As for space, the TL wins hands down because it's a different car. The flaw I have with the Z is that I can't carry anything big in it. So it tends to be troublesome at times, but not too bad.

If you want to be unique with lots of power and don't mind the small space, then get the Z. However, if at any point in time you feel you need to carry stuff or need to take more than one person somewhere, I would suggest the TL. But if the TL is a little more pricey to you, I would consider the G35/G35c. All in all, all three are fantastic cars.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:22 AM
myGspot

g35c is actually a lot more in lease then the TL or the Z.
plus my family has one already... so its nothing new to me.

I really admire how rare the Z is. Just dont want to regret the choice I make. So i figured... if could blame you guys for it
Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Sensation350Z

Since you`ll be on a 4 year lease, I`d say go for the TL. They are both amazing cars, but as far as practicality goes, the acura is your best bet. Performance wise it`ll still be a fun car to drive, and the Z doesn`t handle too well in the winter.

Just my 2 cents, best of luck to you
Old 03-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Mantis3024

if you're going with an Acura, Id choose the TSX or RL
Old 03-27-2005, 10:54 AM
gpslater

I say GET THE Z. You're only 28, no gf, no kids. I'm 56 and I'm glad I got to have an MGB in my 20's, before I had family responsibilities. Dude, you only live once, and you don't want to regret not have had the unique experience of having a sports car. Also, I used to live in Westchester County, NY (left White Plains 7 years ago) and I've driven in a lot of snow. I used to drive my MG in the winter using good winter tires. And I intend to drive my Z year-round. I know the NYC traffic is awful; all the stop and go and the torn-up roads. But, if you upgrade the tires and suspension (you said you were going to mod), you should be OK too.

Satisfy your sports car urge now. Look at it this way, if you find the girl of your dreams tomorrow, you'll date for a while, go through the obligatory engagement period and you'll be having your wedding at the earliest in a year and a half. You'll want to have some time for the extended honeymoon period, maybe a year or two. Now you're already out 3 1/2 years from today. Add another 9 months before the arrival of your first born, and you're beyond 4 years already. Get the picture? Just my experienced $.02.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 AM
SB Track

Need : impractical, quick, RWD, and awesome sports car. Buy : 350Z.

Need : practical, sedan, very nice interior and features, pretty quick. Buy : TL.

My friend just got a TL, and she loves it. It's pretty quick too, a very good bargain for the price. You can get the fully loaded 6MT w/ navi version for like $35k.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by SB Track
Need : impractical, quick, RWD, and awesome sports car. Buy : 350Z.

Need : practical, sedan, very nice interior and features, pretty quick. Buy : TL.

My friend just got a TL, and she loves it. It's pretty quick too, a very good bargain for the price. You can get the fully loaded 6MT w/ navi version for like $35k.
I do have to mention that Acura's Navigation system is by far the best stock navi ever. I saw it in the TL and it was so damn good. Oh, and the gauges are BLUE. BLUE I say!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:28 AM
ssc

to basically reiterate what ppl have been saying...350z is not a "practical" car for your situation, but then again, what sports car is...
i think from what you have said, the TL is the better choice for you
Old 03-27-2005, 11:38 AM
myGspot

well i dont need NAV. i know where i'm going at all times. And i'm good with a map and a sense of directions.

LIke i said... the enthusiast model is bare bone and i'm completly OK with it. I dont get excited over NAVs. The TL i was looking at was the base one in auto. Since there are no options other then the body kit it will have everything i need and then some.

gpslater - i'm actualy contemplating on what you said for the past half hour. I very much liked someone older opinion on it. I know some Z owners are younger then me and may have different views of where they will be in 4yrs (not that there is anything wrong with it) and might not live in NY area so they dont queit know the conditions. But i'm gonna dwell on what you said.. .;and i think for the most part i'm fighting the urge to be practical or still have some fun before the whole adulthood and family come into play. Just kinda hard making a choice... knowing regret will hang over your head for a long time.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:48 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spot,

You might want to post here for opinions of other NY Z owners on owning a Z as your sole transportation in snow/ice country.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:56 AM
myGspot

well if its anything like the G35c like my family have then i can see it being a problem, but may be Z is a bit different. But Winter tires will be obtained for Z just in case.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:51 PM
gpslater

...knowing regret will hang over your head for a long time.
When I was a twenty- or thirty-something I had always wanted to go skydiving. I met this girl who was into it and made a date to go jump. Well, I met this other really pretty chic and cancelled my date with girl #1. Long story short, never did go skydiving, and, if memory serves me well, I never got girl #2 into bed.

I'll say it again, GET THE Z.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by gpslater
When I was a twenty- or thirty-something I had always wanted to go skydiving. I met this girl who was into it and made a date to go jump. Well, I met this other really pretty chic and cancelled my date with girl #1. Long story short, never did go skydiving, and, if memory serves me well, I never got girl #2 into bed.

I'll say it again, GET THE Z.

HAHAH wtf man.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:10 PM
hypeiv

I can't imagine not getting a car b/c I thought I would be married in the next 3-4 years... Unless I had a serious GF at the time and it looked like things were heading that way. If I meet the perfect lady next week and get married in 3 months I will gladly sell my Z if thats what it takes... but I won't not get something I want b/c of that...

I am not saying that you wouldn't want the TL I am just saying I wouldn't use that in my decision process unless your with someone that is thinking marrage in the next year or so.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:27 PM
kinjal

i think the bottomline is these are two completely different cars with nothing in common. the 350z as a daily driver is good for someone who has no problem driving a 2 seater with no storage space. Since this is an issue for you, it will bother you more and more over the 4 years of your lease. The TL is a really nice sophisticated car. The 350z is a hot sports car. Im 23, so the 350z is okay for me as a daily driver. When i get my next car in 4-5 years, i will definitely by a 4 door car. but hopefully i will be able to also afford a second car, such as the next z car, or if i win the lottery --- the Infiniti GTR. So if I were you, I would get the TL, and you would never have any regrets about not having space and what not.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:00 PM
rickyj59

Like the 56 year old dud said, get the Z. I'm 56 and did some dumb things in my early years so I just got the Z now.
Test drive both. Whichever one puts the biggest smile on your face, is your choice.

Quick Reply: OPINIONS NEEDED: 350Z vs ACURA TL