Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lucky to be alive...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Neo105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal350
Yes, well you can stop calling him my friend, he has just decided that this is all my fault and doesnt want to be my friend anymore... and just so everyone is clear, there was no deer at all, he just could drive, at most might have been possom, he didnt even know if there was something when it all happened
That's strange
Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 AM
milanista

I think the young moron's parents are to blame here. Buying a high-power car for an 18 year old is plain stupid.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:20 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal350
Yes, well you can stop calling him my friend, he has just decided that this is all my fault and doesnt want to be my friend anymore... and just so everyone is clear, there was no deer at all, he just could drive, at most might have been possom, he didnt even know if there was something when it all happened
How is it your fault when he was driving?

Better off not hanging with this guy, especially if he's not willing to accept responsibility for his actions.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Mantis3024

Originally Posted by Scott n Houston
No 18 year old is a good driver... period.
It's about seat-time, and 2 years is nothing.

Every 18 year old thinks he's a good driver though. That's part of being young and stupid, which your friend obviously is.
No offense meant, but it's all true.
What an ignorant assumption.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Scott n Houston

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
What an ignorant assumption.
Strike a nerve?

How is it ignorant? Please, bless us with your wisdom from your many years of experience.

What I said was fact. Sorry, but to all 18 year olds... you are not good drivers. (flame suit on and ready b/c I'm hiding behind facts)

Now, you may be 'safe' drivers, but that's not the same thing...

Anyway, quit getting defensive because you're young. It's great to be young... but you don't have the seat-time to be a good driver yet.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the beauty of AWD still couldn't save him.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Mantis3024

Strike a nerve?

How is it ignorant? Please, bless us with your wisdom from your many years of experience.

What I said was fact. Sorry, but to all 18 year olds... you are not good drivers. (flame suit on and ready b/c I'm hiding behind facts)

Anyway, quit getting defensive because you're young. It's great to be young... but you don't have the seat-time to be a good driver yet.
I don't want to talk about myself. It's ignorant because your statements were definite. 17 out of 20 blondes score 800 on their SATs. With your logic, I can say all blondes are stupid. You are hiding behind statistics, not facts. Don't confuse the two. Since you're talking about 18 year olds like that, I'll assume you're middle-aged. At that point in life, I would think you'd be more careful as to how you present your thoughts.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:57 AM
tacomaboy

Strike a nerve?

Blow him off man. You are right. Anyone who was once 18 knows that they simply dont have the experience to drive a car like that!

Except maybe Andrettis son. Your remark was hardly ignorant or prejudiced as these younguns (I am 26) would like you to believe. They will realize it when they are older.

Its quite simple. Look at statistics. Why is insurance more for younger drivers? Its certainly not because they are safer.

And it has nothing to do with their gender or culture or race, just their lack of experience. And eventually they WILL get the experience, so no big whoop.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 AM
tacomaboy

I don't want to talk about myself. It's ignorant because your statements were definite. 17 out of 20 blondes score 800 on their SATs. With your logic, I can say all blondes are stupid. You are hiding behind statistics, not facts. Don't confuse the two. Since you're talking about 18 year olds like that, I'll assume you're middle-aged. At that point in life, I would think you'd be more careful as to how you present your thoughts.
Statistcs are based on facts. And I defy you to find any reasonable statistcs that prove his posts incorrect?

And I think you are confusing prejudice with logic in your assertions. Young != blonde. Why? Because EVERYONE is young once.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Mantis3024

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
Statistcs are based on facts. And I defy you to find any reasonable statistcs that prove his posts incorrect?

And I think you are confusing prejudice with logic in your assertions. Young != blonde. Why? Because EVERYONE is young once.
Statistics are based on occurrences. It has nothing to do with facts. Young does not equal blonde but statistics on both can lead to prejudices which are parallel.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:26 AM
tacomaboy

Statistics are based on occurrences. It has nothing to do with facts. Young does not equal blonde but statistics on both can lead to prejudices which are parallel.

A statistic is used to characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived. It is not an opinionated poll, or anything else. It is based on FACT. If not, then it would be based on opinion, and it would not be a statistic, it would be a POLL. It is not prejudiced to call black people black, as it is not prejudiced to call young people immature and inexperenced, since it is the very definition of being young(see 5)!

young Audio pronunciation of "young" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yng)
adj. youngŽ·er, youngŽ·est

1. Being in an early period of life, development, or growth.
2. Newly begun or formed; not advanced: The evening is still young.
3. Of, belonging to, or suggestive of youth or early life: He is young for his age.
4. Vigorous or fresh; youthful.
5. Lacking experience; immature: a young hand at plowing.
6. Being the junior of two people having the same name.

staŽ·tisŽ·tic Audio pronunciation of "statistic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (st-tstk)
n.

1. A numerical datum.
2. A numerical value, such as standard deviation or mean, that characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Mantis3024

A statistic is used to characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived. It is not an opinionated poll, or anything else. It is based on FACT. If not, then it would be based on opinion, and it would not be a statistic, it would be a POLL. It is not prejudiced to call black people black, as it is not prejudiced to call young people immature and inexperenced, since it is the very definition of being young(see 5)!

young Audio pronunciation of "young" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yng)
adj. youngŽ·er, youngŽ·est

1. Being in an early period of life, development, or growth.
2. Newly begun or formed; not advanced: The evening is still young.
3. Of, belonging to, or suggestive of youth or early life: He is young for his age.
4. Vigorous or fresh; youthful.
5. Lacking experience; immature: a young hand at plowing.
6. Being the junior of two people having the same name.

staŽ·tisŽ·tic Audio pronunciation of "statistic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (st-tstk)
n.

1. A numerical datum.
2. A numerical value, such as standard deviation or mean, that characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived.
I think you missed the point. It is prejudice to call 18 year olds 'bad drivers' as it is to call a blonde stupid. He derrived this 'fact' from statistics. Correlaton does not determine causation. Statistics is based on FACTUAL occurrences, keyword occurrence. We're arguing over two different things.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 AM
tacomaboy

I think you missed the point. It is prejudice to call 18 year olds 'bad drivers' as it is to call a blonde stupid. He derrived this 'fact' from statistics. Correlaton does not determine causation. Statistics is based on FACTUAL occurrences, keyword occurrence. We're arguing over two different things.
Here is causation for you. Youth->inexperience->bad driver.

That is a fact that is backed up by statistics. You prove to me otherwise.

Find me the best 17 Year old driver you can, and I will show you in 10 years he will STILL become a better driver. Proof that older drivers=better drivers, no?

Look man, dont be offended, and dont get defensive. You may be a decent driver. But you will look back in 10 years and realize you were not as good a driver as you thought. It just takes time to really learn how to drive. You cannot do it in a couple of years.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Mantis3024

Here is causation for you. Youth->inexperience->bad driver.

That is a fact that is backed up by statistics. You prove to me otherwise.

Find me the best 17 Year old driver you can, and I will show you in 10 years he will STILL become a better driver. Proof that older drivers=better drivers, no?

Look man, dont be offended, and dont get defensive. You may be a decent driver. But you will look back in 10 years and realize you were not as good a driver as you thought. It just takes time to really learn how to drive. You cannot do it in a couple of years.
Thank you for saying that. Now if Scott N Houston initially said that, I probebly wouldn't have interjected. His remark was blatant and ignorant. Older drivers = better drivers? I think an individual's reaction time, mentality, attitude, and personality all carry as much weight as age and experience do when it comes to determining whether or not they are a bad driver. Statistics prove nothing, they just show.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM
tacomaboy

Thank you for saying that. Now if Scott N Houston initially said that, I probebly wouldn't have interjected. His remark was blatant and ignorant. Older drivers = better drivers? I think an individual's reaction time, mentality, attitude, and personality all carry as much weight as age and experience do when it comes to determining whether or not they are a bad driver. Statistics prove nothing, they just show.
I dont think we are out to **** any one off.

But look, knowing what I did when I was younger, and what my friends did...

I would never let my kid get a 350Z uintil they were at least 21.

Sure there are 18 years olds that can driver better than 50somethings, but all in all, at 18... you have so much time to get a fast car, you need to spend your first several years learning how to drive safely. And also, understand I am not trying to say I am a great driver either. Lord knows I can use some learning.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Destiny350Z

Originally Posted by milanista
I think the young moron's parents are to blame here. Buying a high-power car for an 18 year old is plain stupid.
Hey now I'm 18 and I got my Z when I was 16, I'm a very good driver thank you very much!!! I thinK I'll go to my room and cry now
Old 03-28-2005, 11:27 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

What happened to this thread, UGH.

THREAD CLOSED!

Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Destiny350Z

I dont think we are out to **** any one off.

But look, knowing what I did when I was younger, and what my friends did...

I would never let my kid get a 350Z uintil they were at least 21.

Sure there are 18 years olds that can driver better than 50somethings, but all in all, at 18... you have so much time to get a fast car, you need to spend your first several years learning how to drive safely. And also, understand I am not trying to say I am a great driver either. Lord knows I can use some learning.
Older people are bad drivers too!!! My cousin is 23 and he totalled 3 cars in two years!! The first was when he was 20!!

Last edited by Destiny350Z; 03-28-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Destiny350Z

Anyways I'm glad he is ok, I'm sorry your friend blames you for his accident!! Thats just plain wrong!!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Mantis3024

NorCal, you should tell your friend he is lucky to be alive, as the title of this thread says. Most people don't get a second chance. I had a friend, who I've known since elementary school, die in an accident 2 years ago and everytime I hear about something like this I ask why couldn't he get another chance. I also know many people who have wrecked their cars and survived. I don't think he means what he says about not wanting to be your friend anymore. He will change his mind once he learns to accept it. $30k is an expensive lesson but nothings more expensive than his life.

Quick Reply: Lucky to be alive...