Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First AutoX coming up!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 11:56 PM
DiverDown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First AutoX coming up!!!!

(Weather permitting) I'll be taking the Z out for my my first AutoX this coming weekend. I've always wanted to do this but haven't had the opportunity.

Can anyone share some wisdom in how to do well and what to/not to do?

What should I expect?
Old 11-19-2002, 06:01 AM
negcamber

First, while at home, empty out the car of all junk in the cabin and back hatch area (CD cases, pens, any other stuff not in the storage compartments). Your car will be inspected and the tech inspector will look for loose items that could fly around and hit you while you are driving.

Also, some regions also prefer that you remove the driver's floor mat so that it won't get jammed next to the accelerator pedal.

Do yourself a favor and make some numbers before you get to the event. Make several numbers on your printer about 10 inches high and make your class letters--BS--about 8 inches (2 sets, one for each side of the car). Go to Home Depot and get paint safe masking tape to tape them to the side of the car. Later you can get some magnetic material and make numbers or buy magnetic numbers.

On the way to the event put air in the tires...I like to start high and let air out, so you might try running something like 40-42psi front and 36-38psi rear.

Also, check your oil and make sure it is completely full...this will help stave off oil starvation.

Arrive to the event at least 30 min before registration closes. More than likely folks will be interested in your Z as not many are racing yet...hook up with someone who seems knowledgeable and let them walk you through the course. Ask questions.

Concentrate on learning the course. The first time out it will look like a sea of cones. Have a veteran ride with you a few times. Ride with them a few times. And if you are brave enough, let them take a run in your car to show you what is possible.

Have fun and don't expect to win your first time. There will probably be Miatas and Civics beating your time. Don't worry about them. Work on your times...try to improve your time each run.

Good luck!!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:55 AM
2003z

I just did it this weekend and it was a blast! I aired the tires up to 35 front and 37 rear the night before in my garage. It was much colder, and I wound up at 32/34 on the track. The fronts could have used a little more air as I got scrub marks on the side of the treads, but the backs were fine. Next time I will overinflate and subtract.

I entered the novice class, they had a walk through the course with an instructor. rwd guys got one instructor, fwd another. He suggested walking the course 5-10 times, by yourself, with no distractions. Also, they provided the numbers at mine.

I came in 2nd in novice, would have been 1st in B stock, but only 2 others ran that class.

Oh yeah, turn the VDC/TCS off. I didn't on my last run and the car really didn't feel right.

It plows a little in the turns, but comes around with a little throttle. The car is very predictable and very controllable. Also, once I shifted into 2nd gear, I didn't touch the clutch or shifter again til the finish line. Plenty of torque all around.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:02 AM
DiverDown

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to know I won't be shifting and clutching the entire time.

How long are the courses usually?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:13 AM
2003z

45-90 seconds
Old 11-21-2002, 07:19 PM
nokidz

Ran my Z in a Porsche Club sponsered event a couple of weeks ago. FUN FUN FUN. The Z understeers in the corners. It tries to grab but scrubs off time. I found that the turn apex was actually a little past what I expected when walking the course. This allowed a set-up for the following turn and improves the ET. Good luck and expect a lot of attention toward your Z.