Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

If you could change 3 things about the Z...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Old Skooler
The single cupholder is in a great place though, and obviously very cool mechanism.
I've had at least two passengers bang it with their knee getting into the car; spill liquid, etc. They were both 6' guys, longer legs, etc. My guess is that it's only a matter of time before that "very cool mechanism" is busted.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:58 PM
EnthusiastZ

1. A better audio system...both the base (Clarion made) and Bose sound awful!

2. 18" wheels standard.

3. Flush mount body colored (paint matched) door handles...the current ones don't stay clean (finger prints).
Old 01-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Old Skooler

Originally posted by bhobson333
I've had at least two passengers bang it with their knee getting into the car; spill liquid, etc. They were both 6' guys, longer legs, etc. My guess is that it's only a matter of time before that "very cool mechanism" is busted.
Hmmm. I've never had someone get in while it was in use. Not saying that's intentional, I probably just don't use it as much as you. I'll probably make a deliberate effort now, however, to make sure that it isn't when someone gets in.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:23 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Mechanical: Separate controls for TCS and VDC

Exterior: The vertical front reflectors are kind of funky looking, other than that I love it. Also, water drainage leaves streaks

Interior: I also have to pick two here: passenger seatbelt that needs clipping in place is pretty bad. And let's not forget the pathetic stereo (non-Bose).

But these are minor quibbles: over 7300 miles later, I still LOVE the car!!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:25 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the exterior, and wouldn't change anything there.

It would be nice if the car was 200 lbs lighter, but that's not really a flaw, just part of the car's nature.

The door seals are definitely off, and I (as well as probably everyone else) have water that runs in and under the kick plates. It also gets on the edges of the door itself.

I wish the "Auto" positions on the controls were on the opposite side of the "off" position as the manual controls. Now, every time you go from "off" to manual, the AC wants to come on as you pass through the "auto" position, forcing you to then manually shut off the AC. I've learned just to leave the fan on the lowest setting, but still...

I have a few rattles (most of which are in easily replaceable parts) but I've never had a car without them, so I guess that's just part of putting miles on a new vehicle. For some reason I'm just extremely sensitive to it. I think I'll be much happier when I have 50,000 miles and a few rattles no longer bother me.

I think the only thing I'd really like to see different is less understeer.

-D'oh!
Old 01-03-2003, 05:52 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rocknrice...
Thanks for bringing my thread back from the dead!

I'm so happy, I just have to make some comments....

apharmdb...
Concerning the cargo cover... just curious if you have loaded up the back yet? I've taken two roadtrips now and because of the hatch/window design, you really don't see much in the back anyway. Not sure how much more coverage a cargo cover would offer...

bhobson333...
I'm sorry, you are only allowed three votes for changes... I'm afraid you'll have to take one back. Figured with so many threes in your member name, you'd understand...

I agree, wholeheartedly, about the A/C thing, though. May need to replace one of my original votes with this. It is very annoying to have to cut my A/C off everytime I crank the car.

Old Skooler...
You most certainly can get into the passenger side cargo areas while driving. I can easily get into the small one near the top all the time (I use it to store 8 CDs in jewel cases right now). The larger one is accessible if there is no passenger. Just reach back and use the seat release on the back of the passenger seat for easy access. Seat can be returned to original position next time you stop the car at a light or something. Not hard at all...

enthusiastZ...
18" wheels do come standard... you just have to pony up a few extra dollars for a Performance, Touring MT, or Track!

All that said, I have narrowed down my improvement from the factory to one that I want most. The more I look at Viral's pshop of the targa top the more I want it. I don't care if I sacrifice some structural rigidity... it looks damn good!

Give me a targa and I'll do the hp and suspension upgrades myself!
Old 01-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Carterattorney

D'oh.. Do you actually drive your Z in the rain?? Whhoo.. I have had the Z for almost 5 mos.. and I just cant do that yet..
Definately a fair-weather car.. no rain for my Z..
Attached Thumbnails If you could change 3 things about the Z...-thumbsupcar.jpg  
Old 01-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Old Skooler

Originally posted by mcduck
Old Skooler...
You most certainly can get into the passenger side cargo areas while driving. I can easily get into the small one near the top all the time (I use it to store 8 CDs in jewel cases right now). The larger one is accessible if there is no passenger. Just reach back and use the seat release on the back of the passenger seat for easy access. Seat can be returned to original position next time you stop the car at a light or something. Not hard at all...

You're right mcduck, I can get into it while driving easily enough. What pisses me off is trying to get the seat BACK into it's normal position while driving. What if I'm driving to Dallas from Ft. Hood, and there's no stop light for about 2 hours? I should of been more specific, that's my fault. I just can't stand the passenger seat not leaning back. Granted, with a little judicious leverage, you CAN get it back into postion one-handed while driving, but it just seems like an absurd amount of effort for what should be a mindless task.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:02 AM
EnthusiastZ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcduck
[B]rocknrice...
Thanks for bringing my thread back from the dead!

I'm so happy, I just have to make some comments....

enthusiastZ...
18" wheels do come standard... you just have to pony up a few extra dollars for a Performance, Touring MT, or Track!

Um, I am fully aware that 18s do come standard on certain models. I should have phrased my reply as...18" wheels standard for all models!
Old 01-04-2003, 12:55 AM
mike952

Default changes

I am more than satisfied with my Z; a superb vehicle and I continue to thank myself many times for waiting before buying an S2000 or MR2 sypder.

The things that should be looked into are (tell me if anyone agrees with #1 as I have not seen it mentioned yet)

#1 - light inside of change holder (service manual seems to idenfity a light in this area but I don't seem to see one)

#2 - built in antena within rear defroster (only because it's a matter of time before my true antena will be stolen).

#3 - a deeper storage box beween the seats (if possible) as now I cannot store CD's there while the cup holder is there. By having it deeper, I can store CD's vertically alongside the cup holder.

#4 - guage cluster should not illuminate during the day; the day time illumination is not even noticeable, but yet I seem to forget to turn on my lights from time to time.