Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ran my bosses vette did good but I ran into a problem please input

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:42 AM
RED HOT Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ran my bosses vette did good but I ran into a problem please input

Hey whats up guys I ran my bosses Vette last night it's a 2000 and to my surprise I didn't do to bad. He probably took me by about a car and a half. I did all this forgetting to turn off my VDC we ran againg from a roll and I hung with him for a bit until at 3rd gear he pulled. But what I tripped out on was when we stopped at a red light my car died. Then later on that night as I was getting off the freeway it died again. Then this morning I drove it a little hard and it died again when I came to a stop.

What could this be my only mods are a popcharger
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
Hey whats up guys I ran my bosses Vette last night it's a 2000 and to my surprise I didn't do to bad. He probably took me by about a car and a half. I did all this forgetting to turn off my VDC we ran againg from a roll and I hung with him for a bit until at 3rd gear he pulled. But what I tripped out on was when we stopped at a red light my car died. Then later on that night as I was getting off the freeway it died again. Then this morning I drove it a little hard and it died again when I came to a stop.

What could this be my only mods are a popcharger
Hmm... Maybe your idle is too low? I bumped my idle when I had the popcharger installed because I heard of things like this. No problems yet.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

People usually have trouble with their MAF sensors and overoiled popchargers (rather the filter attachment). That might be it.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 AM
RED HOT Z

You know what I've never had a problem with my popcharger and I've had it about 4 months and I heard the cars would die if left in neutral at high speeds and that wasn't the case.

My idle does sit around 500 RPMS, do I just tighten the acceleration cable to make the Idle go up?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You know what I've never had a problem with my popcharger and I've had it about 4 months and I heard the cars would die if left in neutral at high speeds and that wasn't the case.

My idle does sit around 500 RPMS, do I just tighten the acceleration cable to make the Idle go up?

There is no cable on the Z. The Z runs by 'drive by wire' which means the throttle plate is electronically controlled. Your dealer will have to raise the idle for you - for a fee of course.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by yobri
People usually have trouble with their MAF sensors and overoiled popchargers (rather the filter attachment). That might be it.
so what do I do about this? Is it covered by warranty I'm at 36000 miles
Old 03-31-2005, 10:01 AM
RED HOT Z

Son of a B***H really how much?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Faluzure

Yeah that sounds about right. Really though, I don't know why you would leave your car in neutral if you are going at high speeds. I think the people who did stall out were those coming off a parkway/highway/interstate. I used to pop my car into neutral and coast to the ramp. I don't do it anymore (been practicing downshifting).

As for your idle, mine was at 650 RPM. I bumped it up to 850 RPM. If you have access to a Consult-II, you can get that done no problem. My Nissan technician hooked it up to my car and punched a couple buttons. It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes. Maybe your service dept at the dealer could do it for you for free. Or if you don't know them that well, talk to the service guy and just say, "hey could you bump up my idle with a consult-ii really quick?" Then tip him like 10-20 bucks, which is reasonable for a 5 minute job. Just don't do it when they are busy.

Also, what yobri said is also true. Is the MAF sensor on securely? You can try to grab it and see if it's loose. It should be firm. Also, when you installed your popcharger, did you oil it then? They come preoiled (at least mine did). If you cleaned it and oiled it, it is possible you did overoil. However, I'd check with the idle thing first. The reason is because you mentioned you stalled only when you were at a full stop.

Again, only a small % of people are having these problems. I had mine installed professionally, so be sure to check all your connections.

Last edited by Faluzure; 03-31-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Son of a B***H really how much?
I had my idle raised to 800 when I had my ecu reflashed so it didn't cost me any extra, but I would guess a dealer would do it for 50-100 bucks. How far are you from performance nissan or mossy nissan? I bet they would do it failry cheap.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:14 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by Faluzure
Yeah that sounds about right. Really though, I don't know why you would leave your car in neutral if you are going at high speeds. I think the people who did stall out were those coming off a parkway/highway/interstate. I used to pop my car into neutral and coast to the ramp. I don't do it anymore (been practicing downshifting).

As for your idle, mine was at 650 RPM. I bumped it up to 850 RPM. If you have access to a Consult-II, you can get that done no problem. My Nissan technician hooked it up to my car and punched a couple buttons. It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes. Maybe your service dept at the dealer could do it for you for free. Or if you don't know them that well, talk to the service guy and just say, "hey could you bump up my idle with a consult-ii really quick?" Then tip him like 10-20 bucks, which is reasonable for a 5 minute job. Just don't do it when they are busy.

Also, what yobri said is also true. Is the MAF sensor on securely? You can try to grab it and see if it's loose. It should be firm. Also, when you installed your popcharger, did you oil it then? They come preoiled (at least mine did). If you cleaned it and oiled it, it is possible you did overoil. However, I'd check with the idle thing first. The reason is because you mentioned you stalled only when you were at a full stop.

Again, only a small % of people are having these problems. I had mine installed professionally, so be sure to check all your connections.

I installed the popcharger my self but I'm not ignorant when it comes to cars and my popcharger came oiled so I just installed it as it was. For some reason I do think it's my idle cause it stalled at a complete stop plus I always downshift never coast on neutral.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:17 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by Zivman
I had my idle raised to 800 when I had my ecu reflashed so it didn't cost me any extra, but I would guess a dealer would do it for 50-100 bucks. How far are you from performance nissan or mossy nissan? I bet they would do it failry cheap.
I'm not that far from Perfomance nissan I've been there a few times plus I have an old friend thats a salesman there do you think he can pull some strings. Of course I'll tip the tech a 20 or so but 100 bucks for a five minute job is rediculous don't you think?

What do you think of the run against my bosses VETTE?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 AM
mpol99

Yup, your MAF is screwed from too much oil on the filter. Kinda normal, happens a lot, or so I hear. A dealership will NOT replace this for you under warranty (they'll say it's your fault since the mod created the problem). It is kind of common I guess (according to my uncle who is a tech for Infinity).

Here is what you do: Put the stock filter/box back on..... Go to the dealer, tell them the problem. They should replace the MAF under warranty.

Go home, put back your popcharger & enjoy!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Faluzure

I installed the popcharger my self but I'm not ignorant when it comes to cars and my popcharger came oiled so I just installed it as it was. For some reason I do think it's my idle cause it stalled at a complete stop plus I always downshift never coast on neutral.
You could always do what mpol99 said if you do need work on your car. but I'd try the idle bump first. Just because it's the simplest job. If it does end up being your MAF sensor, that will cost you more of your time. You may even have to leave the car there for a couple days.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
RED HOT Z

I'll try the idle thing first plus I dont have much time to play. But will they replace the MAF sensor even though im past 36,000 miles?

Did my run with my boss seem right? I thought he would of taken me by more.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 AM
VandyZ

You can clean your MAF yourself. Use electrical parts cleaner spray and give it a spray or two and let dry.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Faluzure

I'll try the idle thing first plus I dont have much time to play. But will they replace the MAF sensor even though im past 36,000 miles?

Did my run with my boss seem right? I thought he would of taken me by more.
I'm not sure if they'll replace the MAF sensor. It's worth a shot though.

Just so you know that I'm not ignoring you, I don't know if your run with your boss seemed right. I never really raced anyone, but if you were that close vs a vette, I would think you did good.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 AM
RED HOT Z

yeah its just that my boss is right here and hes talking mad head just want to show him something you know
Old 03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Faluzure

yeah its just that my boss is right here and hes talking mad head just want to show him something you know
Well... he IS driving a vette, which he probably paid $45K+ for. You on the other hand are driving a car that costs more than $10K less and are keeping up with him decently.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
jazz z1

Hey Faluzure ... Down shifting == Very, Very exspensive BRAKES. I would advise you to only D S for panic stops only. A new clutch assembly and labor will cost you dearly ... compared to a set of brake pads & turned rotor . Just my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
RED HOT Z

thats what im telling him my car is nearly 15k less and I was able to keep up and hes talking head that his engine is the size of my car. Twin Turbos here I come

Quick Reply: Ran my bosses vette did good but I ran into a problem please input