Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

oil change woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
BigMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekk
excuse the newbie question: how do you know if your car is knocking or pinging?
Knocking happens when a car doesn't have any or enough oil in it and you actually hear a knocking sound when the car idles or is revved up in neutral.

Pinging is a rattling sound heard when acclerating while driving the car. Pinging generally doesn't occur when a car is not under load. Example: you're in 5th gear doing 60mph and the car's RPMs are at about 2000. You stomp on the accelerator pedal and you hear a rattling sound under the hood. When you take your foot off of the accelerator, the rattling stops. That is Ping or in technical terms, pre-detonation. (Pinging, otherwise known as spark knock or pre-detonation, is caused by the fuel-air mixture in the engine exploding before the piston has reached the proper point in its up-and-down path)
Old 05-01-2005, 08:45 AM
smellslikecurry

my car is still knocking and i checked the oil and cleaned the pop charger andddddd filled up the tank again!?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Well hold on and dont get uptight. That definitely doesnt help out the situation. Try this. If you can, get someone to take you to either Walmart or Target or somewhere, get a high quality bottle of octane booster and try running that and see how it works. You may have, as someone stated before, water in your fuel. Start with the small stuff and go up from there. Is it still under warrenty?? If so your covered anyway. We're rooting for you..let us know.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 AM
smellslikecurry

well the knocking has subsided and isnt as strong as before but when im at a stop light or something it will slightly knock while idling...im going to get the octane booster and go fill up right now...thanks for the advice...and my cars only mod is the pop charger so its still under warranty
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smellslikecurry
well the knocking has subsided and isnt as strong as before but when im at a stop light or something it will slightly knock while idling...im going to get the octane booster and go fill up right now...thanks for the advice...and my cars only mod is the pop charger so its still under warranty
That still sounds like an oil pressure problem to me if it is happening at idle. Could be a few things:

1. The oil pump, passages or filter may be is obstructed or in the case of the pump, malfunctioning.

2. You never answered my question on what weight oil you put in. the car needs 5w30 which is pretty thin stuff. If you put in 20w50 for example it would likely cause this same condition.

Either way oil is not reaching your heads at idle engine speeds and that knock you're hearing is likely the cams slapping the lifters unlubricated.

When people usually talk about engine knock or ping it is in reference to the before mentioned definition - i.e. pre-detonation of fuel and would only happen under load in an unmodified car. Completely unrelated to your recent oil change so octane boost will not help!

I'm surprised you are still driving around like this...you could be causing some serious damage to your engine and if you did put the wrong weight oil in the car, the damage caused would not be covered under warranty. Anyway, good luck...take care of that Z!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:49 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smellslikecurry
5 quarts of mobile 1 put in by yours truley
Did you drain ALL of the other 5 quarts out? 6-10 quarts of earl would make a motor mighty unhappy and we all know the 350Z dip stick is all about useless.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:57 PM
barthelb
Master

When was your last oil change besides the one you just did. Sounds like there might be an issue here. My last car had a real bad engine oil consumption problem and I started hearing that noise, well it was almost out of oil because I didn't bother to stay on top of my maintenance. I ended up blowing a rod. So don't feel bad if you did just don't tell the dealer. Hopefully its not that serious.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:45 AM
smellslikecurry

i drained out all the oil and put in 5w30...ill just bring it to the dealer and have them check it out...everything should be covered under warranty...do they void your warranty if you dont use a nissan brand oil filter?