Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer has offered bigger brakes, should I?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002 | 07:40 PM
all_bark

Default Dealer has offered bigger brakes, should I?

My dealer has a high performance dept. The manger called me today and has offered me this:

The Stopnik braking system. Or it is stopnet or something like that braking system.

Seems they want to develop 14inch rotors and biggers pistons and customize it to fit the Z.

Said they will need it in LA for the day (I get to watch/wait and maybe get a few laps on the track, fingers crossed!)

They will test, test and test the brakes and make adjustments until it is perfect. They estimate they will put 200 miles on the car while testing it. (I do not like that!)

I get to leave late in the day with the new brakes, my old (original) brakes and not pay anything for a week or two.

Cost is 50% of the proposed cost. That would mean my cost would be around $1000.00.

They promise they will be as good, if not better, than the Brembos on the Track model.

MY QUESTION IS THIS......

........IS IT WORTH IT?!

I have to let them know by 9:00 am tomorrow (11/21)

anybody?....
Old 11-20-2002 | 07:44 PM
^Tyr

are you disputing this? if i had this offred to me i'd take it in a heart beat. your talking about a 14.1 " stoptech rotor kit to be installed and tuned by thier engineers.

i wouldnt worry about the 200 miles
they may go fast in your z and stop hard (on thier own brakes) but they wont rip it up accelleration wise
they'd take thier time getting to speed..

stoptech is a well established company they woudnt needlessly abuse your car after offering to let them use it.
Old 11-20-2002 | 07:45 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

if you have the 1000$ DO IT. forget about the half price of the brakes you get free installation, and tuning that almost no one gets when they put brakes on.

wish I could do that.
Old 11-20-2002 | 07:48 PM
all_bark

are they really THAT GOOD?!!!!!
Are they as good as the Brembos, really?

I do not know about those kind of things.

Is $1000.00 a good price for them? What would the price be for these kinds of brakes with installation?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2002 | 08:00 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

yes they are. equal or better than brembo. and they are tuned on your car, which is always good. they will properly break them in since they want to get the best testing times off them.

they are probably worth 2000 to as much as 4 or 5grand. depends on the kit, thats stoptech big brake kit was 2500, and brembos run around 3000. but while brembo is a very good company, they are not nescessarily the best, specially on a dealer installed system. for 50% off and free install and tuning, its WAY more than worth it over whatever other system your thinking of.
Old 11-20-2002 | 08:05 PM
all_bark

that is just it, I was not thinking about brakes at all!

when I first got the car and picked up the pop charger I met the manager who does all the high performance upgrades on all their "test" vehicles.

I mentioned I would be more than interested in performance upgrades. My meaning was to increase HP, never thought about increasing braking!

Based on the three responces from you guys, its a great deal and the brakes are great!

It sounds to good to be true!

anyone else got an opinion?

bueller.....

anyone....
Old 11-20-2002 | 08:07 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

yes I do, call now, at the guys house, leave a message. beg... haha.

GOLDEN opportunity man, dont think twice. I wish I had this kinda thing happen to me.
Old 11-20-2002 | 08:12 PM
all_bark

OK, I guess I'll do it.

If I am going to make a day of it I'll be sure to bring my camera and photograph it so I can post pic's up here next week.

They say it will happen next Tuesday.

It would be worth even more if I could get a couple of laps on the track!
Old 11-20-2002 | 09:54 PM
ZON

Just Do It!!

or

"You Can Do It"
Old 11-20-2002 | 10:05 PM
xray

Which San Diego dealer? Mossy or Pacific?

-Xray
Old 11-21-2002 | 02:24 AM
^Tyr

if you were ever thinking about increasing horsepower you should also wonder about what other systems you have to upgrade as well to make your vehicle capable of handling that newfound power. granted if your plans only included 20-50 + hp and no more you'd probably be fine with what you have. however if you ever deceided to get forced induction ie supercharger/ turbo or something, brakes would be a good thought. and like ares said. they'll be setting it up at a track and properly breaking the brakes in.. which is increadibly hard to do without a track.

you better take a lot of pictures for us you lucky *#$(*#$
Old 11-21-2002 | 03:09 AM
I want a 350Z

Another show of support!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2002 | 04:25 AM
geeZer

They should pay you the thousand for the use of your car! and you still keep the brakes.
Old 11-21-2002 | 04:33 AM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Default Pictures

If you stay and watch (I would just for fun). Take lots of pictures and keep notes. I'd love to see and read the info when it is done.
Old 11-21-2002 | 06:35 AM
MustGoFastR

I thought Stoptech already had a brake kit out for the Z. Didn't VQRacer get that set? It's only a front wheel set; I wonder if they're developing a four wheel set-up?
Old 11-21-2002 | 08:31 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by geeZer
They should pay you the thousand for the use of your car! and you still keep the brakes.
Man, I'd love that!

I spoke with the dealer again today. Mossy Nissan Oceanside.
I told him I was in. I want it!

What I was told again was this:

Appt is for next tuesday. Stoptech will put in 13.1 front discs, pads, callipers and test, test and test. Approx 200 miles on car by end of day. I leave with my new set up on the car and my old (original) set up boxed up and in the car!

I beleive it is only the front.

Oh yea, I will bring my camera and photograph and take notes of the whole brake thing. Maybe I'll be able to spread a touch of knowledge here next week!

The really cool thing is that my dealer said he is going to use me (my car) for more "cutting edge" stuff that is in the design stage to improve performance and cut me the same type of deals on all the products! I am looking forward to the supercharger that is factory! (Just a thought/wish by me!)
The dealer did say that a new cam is already in the works that will improve performance but you would loose your warranty. That is not for me! I want to keep that warranty.

I'll re-post again next week with pic's.
Old 11-21-2002 | 09:17 AM
droideka

You need to ping Marcus, TXSTYLE about his StopTech kit. He got the 14" rotors and 4-piston calipers installed almost two weeks ago.