Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Z coupe model is best for racing etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Amnbex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by del105
Actually let me start over. If I was build ing a track only car I would go 91 mazda miata, Quaife dif, DA konis, rollbar.
Why a '91?

I was under the impression that the 1.8L was actually a better engine to mod.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
nicolaycastro

well brembos are not included in the enthu version, but if some one asked me to trade my stock ones for the stock brembos I'll do it. If the do weight more belive me it is not as much as to make a difference.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
nightfire

I know convertibles never make as good of track cars but how is the coupe compaired to the convertible?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Sensation350Z

Originally Posted by 16YOWithA350z
i just told you that base is the best wait until you put on the vortech intake you dont need that other stuff. auto is slow because it only has 4 gears dont do that or you will regret it brembo are to heavy slow down thanks
You`re an idiot. Straight up, you know nothing about nothing. None of us are jelous of your low class Z, having a touring model myself with injen exhaust and nismo CAI, my Z would smoke yours to hell.

Automatic is maybe .3 seconds slower, and that`s only if you know how to drive a MT PERFECTLY. and it`d 5 speed, not 4, jackass. And even my automatic would beat 99% of Z`s on the road. You`re CAI wont make your car fly, just add a couple horses.

And btw, NAWZZZZ = Nos for n00bs such as yourself, it`s not an exhaust you ****ing idiot.

I`m starting to wonder if this kid is even old enough to drive.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Amnbex

brembo only good for heat tho thanks
Run 3 laps around any track with stock brakes and tell me how they feel. Assuming they don't fade on you as you're nailing them from 100 mph to make a sweeper.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:35 PM
16YOWithA350z

Originally Posted by Sensation350Z
You`re an idiot. Straight up, you know nothing about nothing. None of us are jelous of your low class Z, having a touring model myself with injen exhaust and nismo CAI, my Z would smoke yours to hell.

Automatic is maybe .3 seconds slower, and that`s only if you know how to drive a MT PERFECTLY. and it`d 5 speed, not 4, jackass.
auto good for drag stick is less gas money thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Amnbex

Originally Posted by nightfire
I know convertibles never make as good of track cars but how is the coupe compaired to the convertible?
Real roadsters (like Miatas, S2000's, Elises) don't even have a hardtop coupe version and are better on the track than most of the hardtop "sports cars" out there today.

For the Z however, you are correct, the coupe is better than the vert simply due to weight, although I'm sure a vert (especially a 35th with Brembos) could make a nice track car.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Amnbex

You're concerned with the gas mileage your sports-car gets?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
del105
15 f125

Originally Posted by Amnbex
Why a '91?

I was under the impression that the 1.8L was actually a better engine to mod.

Not to get to far off topic but the 91 is the lightest 1.6L I'd just choose it for its cheapness. The 1.8s are much more expensive. There are a million of them for sale for under 3k which is a good price for a car you're probably going to crash into a wall.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Sensation350Z

If you want good gas milage get yourself a civic with that paper route money of yours.

Oh and have fun with your NAWZZZ exhaust.

****ing idiot, I swear this kid`s like 12 years old.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Amnbex

Originally Posted by del105
Not to get to far off topic but the 91 is the lightest 1.6L I'd just choose it for its cheapness. The 1.8s are much more expensive. There are a million of them for sale for under 3k which is a good price for a car you're probably going to crash into a wall.
I've actually been considering picking up a Miata for the summer for AutoX and maybe some track duty.

Got a link to a guide for this kind of thing and an estimated price to build a Miata that can be fun and competetive (nothing too crazy, probably staying NA, no complete suspension revisions, etc...)?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:42 PM
nightfire

Besides the added weight does the 53/47 weight distribution change in the convertible? What's best for the track: VDC, traction control, both, or neither?

Last edited by nightfire; 04-11-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Amnbex

If you want good gas milage get yourself a civic with that paper route money of yours.

Oh and have fun with your NAWZZZ exhaust.

****ing idiot, I swear this kid`s like 12 years old.
You seem to get mad whenever someone insults the Auto.

Insecure about your choice?

I'm jus' kidding with you!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:46 PM
16YOWithA350z

Automatic is maybe .3 seconds slower, and that`s only if you know how to drive a MT PERFECTLY. and it`d 5 speed, not 4, jackass. And even my automatic would beat 99% of Z`s on the road. You`re CAI wont make your car fly, just add a couple horses.

And btw, NAWZZZZ = Nos for n00bs such as yourself, it`s not an exhaust you ****ing idiot.

I`m starting to wonder if this kid is even old enough to drive.
What is your problem with the Base model? It has the same exact engine and chassis as the Touring and the transmission (if so equipped with manual). They are the same cars, deal with it, only accessories are different. We're not talking about a 323ci and an M3, it's a Z and Z.

Amnbex, I clearly said the Brembos are only good for heat resistance. They do not out brake the OEM brakes found on Base to Touring models, that's a fact. And they do not have "the best stopping power bar none" like you said. They're not great brakes and they're just for namesake. You want nice brakes? Try AP Racing carbon disc when it's up to temperature with warm tires, they'll collapse your lungs thanks.

P.S. 6-speed is not the best option for drag cars, look at the high tq/hp cars out there, auto tranny. 6-speed has been taken over on road courses by F1 so only benefit for 6-speed is more driver input (if you want it, it's a benefit) and gas saving.

P.P.S. I will race for pink slips once I get my floor panel fixed and Vortech intake, haha.

Last edited by 16YOWithA350z; 04-11-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:48 PM
del105
15 f125

I've actually been considering picking up a Miata for the summer for AutoX and maybe some track duty.

Got a link to a guide for this kind of thing and an estimated price to build a Miata that can be fun and competetive (nothing too crazy, probably staying NA, no complete suspension revisions, etc...)?
for spec miata race this has some ok info and some people that know alot.

http://www.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

This is a good general miata forum

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 04-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Amnbex

What is your problem with the Base model? It has the same exact engine and chassis as the Touring and the transmission (if so equipped with manual). They are the same cars, deal with it, only accessories are different. We're not talking about a 323ci and an M3, it's a Z and Z.

Amnbex, I clearly said the Brembos are only good for heat resistance. They do not out brake the OEM brakes found on Base to Touring models, that's a fact. And they do not have "the best stopping power bar none" like you said. They're not great brakes and they're just for namesake. You want nice brakes? Try AP Racing carbon disc when it's up to temperature with warm tires, they'll collapse your lungs. one

P.S. 6-speed is not the best option for drag cars, look at the high tq/hp cars out there, auto tranny. 6-speed has been taken over on round courses by F1 so only benefit for 6-speed is more driver input (if you want it, it's a benefit) and gas saving.

P.P.S. I will race for pink slips once I get my floor panel fixed and Vortech intake, haha.
Well, the Base is missing an LSD and with an open diff you're wasting quite a bit of power lighting up the inside tire on a turn.

Yes, the Brembos don't outbrake the regular brakes in a single, linear stop, but again, as I said before, a track session isn't just one stop. That's what I meant by the Brembos being the best brakes bar none (I meant available on the Z OEM, sorry, wasn't clear).

6-speed are also cheaper and easier to service... well, until you need that new clutch that is!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:54 PM
del105
15 f125

for spec miata race this has some ok info and some people that know alot.

http://www.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

This is a good general miata forum with everything

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 04-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Sensation350Z

You seem to get mad whenever someone insults the Auto.

Insecure about your choice?

I'm jus' kidding with you!
My friend, I was forced into buying an auto. I`m not insecure, just angry with myself.

and 16 year old ***** who has a base Z and is getting NAWZZZ exhaust: your car will be gone once you come upon a supercharged Z or one with a TT kit. Your damn intake isn`t going to do THAT much for you.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
16YOWithA350z

My friend, I was forced into buying an auto. I`m not insecure, just angry with myself.

and 16 year old ***** who has a base Z and is getting NAWZZZ exhaust: your car will be gone once you come upon a supercharged Z or one with a TT kit. Your damn intake isn`t going to do THAT much for you.
Wow dude, just wow. Is it really as clear as mud for you? It's people like you who have degraded My350z over the years for the members like myself who have been here during the charter days (oh that's right, JmanZ doesn't ring a bell for you). You sir are Mr. Gullible.

BTW, get off your high horse with your Touring Z. We all have Zs and we all like talking about it with each other. You, for some odd reason, feel the need to have a higher status than the rest, grow up.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Sensation350Z

I don`t think my Z is greater than any other Z. Why I don`t like you:
1) look at your sn, you`re just asking to get flamed.
2) nawzzz exhaust? WTF n00b, enough said.
3) you show no respect to anyone, you can referr to your first post in the thread about the washed redline Z with pics
4) you talked **** about that guy`s car, saying it was slow and that your Z would "smoke" it just because you`re getting a little intake.

you say it`s people like me that have degraded my350z members? Newsflash buddy, I`ve been here longer than you. It`s people like YOU, who make this place seem like ****. People come here and see immature, ricer a$$holes like you and stereotype the forum as full of noobs, just because you`ve won the award for #1 n00b of the century.

You say I`M gullible? What was I gullible towards? Who`s the one looking for a NAWZZZ exhaust? Yeah, that`s what I thought.

PS a55hole, you`re sitting there saying you`ll race for slips. I honestly don`t even think you have a Z, or a license, or even a permit for that matter. Have your ***** even dropped yet? Doubtful. Come back in a couple years

EDIT: one more thing that I really think you need to know. NO ONE is jelous of your car. The reason I make fun of it for being a base model is to prove a point. It`s not to make myself seem higher than you in any way, rather just to make you see that I have several more options, leather seats, cruise control, vdc, better sound system, etc. etc. and you don`t have anything other than what`s needed to make the car go.

Last edited by Sensation350Z; 04-11-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Z coupe model is best for racing etc?