Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Which Z coupe model is best for racing etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
nightfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Z coupe model is best for racing etc?

Hey i'm new and I'm don't really know a whole lot about Z's but I've always loved them. I see there are 5 or 6 different Z models out there for the coupe and I was wondering which one is the best for racing? If I do get a Z I want it to be an everyday car but also be a sick track car. Would it be better to go without traction control with the base model and save weight or go full blown track model which is heavier?
Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 Track model (only comes in 6mt).
Old 04-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by nightfire
Hey i'm new and I'm don't really know a whole lot about Z's but I've always loved them. I see there are 5 or 6 different Z models out there for the coupe and I was wondering which one is the best for racing? If I do get a Z I want it to be an everyday car but also be a sick track car. Would it be better to go without traction control with the base model and save weight or go full blown track model which is heavier?

Hi nightfire....welcome to the forum.

I also think the Track model is a good choice if you're going to race/track it often, as it has those nice & lightweight Rays wheels and Brembo brakes, not to mention 300hp (but less torgue). Plus, the track model isn't that much heavier than the base (+ 35lbs?). Still waiting for professional tests of the '05 Track model though....
Old 04-11-2005, 04:52 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you plan on any sort of heavy tracking with hardcore mods, you might look into a base model - and really, it probably doesn't even matter what year it is, you'll be replacing everything anyway
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM
uplz4588

ya i say get a base, put in some coilovers, a nice LSD, and a sick stoptech BBK
Old 04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
16YOWithA350z

i posted this question yesterday but a bunch of jealous fools got it shut down. i bought a base and i think it is the fastest because the brembos are heavy and the shocks are tighter also my headlights are brighter than any other z on the road. my friend says track is best i say hes wrong because i will have vortech intake hit me up sometime if you want to take a ride in my vortech base you can reach me at yowitha350z@yahoo.com thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 05:40 PM
nightfire

hmm so either base or track. Is the track model truely worth the extra money? Does the base model come in 6 speed? Would it be worth it getting something better then the base just to have traction control or no?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:49 PM
16YOWithA350z

i just told you that base is the best wait until you put on the vortech intake you dont need that other stuff. auto is slow because it only has 4 gears dont do that or you will regret it brembo are to heavy slow down thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
nightfire

No I would definitly never go auto. However I'm just wondering if the traction control might be worth the extra weight if I put more power into the car. For instance all the other models have traction control also if i'm not mistaken, would it be worth while getting any of the other ones because they don't have as much stuff as the track but they have more neccesaties then the base?

Last edited by nightfire; 04-11-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
del105
15 f125

Since you;re asking I'd say the slowest thing on either model is going to be you. So you don't need the best of everything you just need enough to make it fun while you learn.

IMO the track model is not worth it. No matter which model you buy you are going to need an adjustable shock. As LSD is also going to be important. I would say the enthusiat is the best option. TC is excellent for street driving and useless for track driving. Since this vechile is duel use I'd say get it. there are better after market LSDs but a mechanical diff is only going to make a marginal amount of difference.
Enthusiast + Konis + r-comps + carbotech panther brake pads = a very desent track/ street car. for less than 30k total.
Give the stock brakes a try at the track if after changing the fluid to a higher temp fluid you are still overheating then upgrade. You will still have spent less than the track model.
I've done several track days on brembos and stock brakes and there is only the slightest difference in fade. The brembos that are on the Z IMO are for looks more than anythhing else.

Last edited by del105; 04-11-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 PM
bryants95240sx

Originally Posted by 16YOWithA350z
i just told you that base is the best wait until you put on the vortech intake you dont need that other stuff. auto is slow because it only has 4 gears dont do that or you will regret it brembo are to heavy slow down thanks
dude your freaking ignorant and just need to shut up. You havent had anything helpful/usefull to say since you joined.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:57 PM
nightfire

Is the traction control on the Z the kind that can be totally turned off however or is it the kind that when you push the button it turns most of the settings off put leaves the basic ones still in place. What is the true difference between all of the models exactly? If I was going to go with a straight track car would you still say enthusiast would be the best? JW
Old 04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Amnbex

The Auto in the Z has 5 gears and I guarantee that an Auto equipped Z will waste 90% of 6MT equipped Z's on the track.

(Although I myself prefer the 6MT for the pure enjoyment it offers)

Second of all, and lightened Rays-wheels(they're Rays, right?) in the Track version will give you a much lower unsprung weight and therefore more acceleration response.

And the Brembos will give you the best stopping power bar none (short of a big brake kit from someone like StopTech).

Want a track car that drives on the street? Get the track Z.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:05 PM
16YOWithA350z

Originally Posted by Amnbex
The Auto in the Z has 5 gears and I guarantee that an Auto equipped Z will waste 90% of 6MT equipped Z's on the track.

(Although I myself prefer the 6MT for the pure enjoyment it offers)

Second of all, and lightened Rays-wheels(they're Rays, right?) in the Track version will give you a much lower unsprung weight and therefore more acceleration response.

And the Brembos will give you the best stopping power bar none (short of a big brake kit from someone like StopTech).

Want a track car that drives on the street? Get the track Z.
brembo good for heat base breaks best for breaking
Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
jun14scr

i posted this question yesterday but a bunch of jealous fools got it shut down. i bought a base and i think it is the fastest because the brembos are heavy and the shocks are tighter also my headlights are brighter than any other z on the road. my friend says track is best i say hes wrong because i will have vortech intake hit me up sometime if you want to take a ride in my vortech base you can reach me at yowitha350z@yahoo.com thanks
wow you really have no idea what your talking about..

both of your responses. woow. no wonder it was shut down? 4spd auto.. brembos are heavy.. hahaha. vortech intake..
Old 04-11-2005, 06:18 PM
del105
15 f125

Originally Posted by nightfire
Is the traction control on the Z the kind that can be totally turned off however or is it the kind that when you push the button it turns most of the settings off put leaves the basic ones still in place. What is the true difference between all of the models exactly? If I was going to go with a straight track car would you still say enthusiast would be the best? JW
TC will turn completely off when you press the button. If I where building a track only car I would go base, quaife dif, DA Konis, roll cage, r comps for the most basic track car. Obviously sky is the limit nd you could drop 100k into it and still have stuff you want.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

bottom line is what do you want to keep stock? LSD? BBK? Forged wheels? Or will you going aftermarket for those things?

If you going to get new LSD, Wheels, and BBK I suggest going base. If you want to keep stock LSD go Enthus. Everything else is wast of money
Old 04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
nicolaycastro

I like to have TCS, tahts why I went with the enthusiast, also eventhough not that necessary HIDs, which the 16 year old guy with the Z says arent as bright LOL
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
16YOWithA350z

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro
I like to have TCS, tahts why I went with the enthusiast, also eventhough not that necessary HIDs, which the 16 year old guy with the Z says arent as bright LOL
brembo only good for heat tho thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
del105
15 f125

Actually let me start over. If I was build ing a track only car I would go 91 mazda miata, Quaife dif, DA konis, rollbar.

Quick Reply: Which Z coupe model is best for racing etc?