Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Z coupe model is best for racing etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:49 AM
nicolaycastro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned about the VDC not being able to be completly off, because I saw a japanesse video, with different modiffied Z's and they mentioned that. i dont know if it is a fact or not.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Alonjar

If my memory serves me correctly, the VDC does not completely disable when you turn it off, but theres a fuse somewhere that you just have to pull out which will completely disable it? Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone is correct. I read that when you push the button, one of the functions is not completely disabled. I thought it was TCS, maybe its VDC. But I do know that one of them is not completely turned off.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control cannot be turned all the way off without a modification: http://kptechnologies.com/
Old 04-14-2005, 11:51 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I permanently disabled my VDC

wish I could turn it on when it's raining though...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Lerxst

+1 for an Enthusiast and spend the bucks on a BBK and some suspension mods.

I got my Track for a smok'n deal... When I hit the button, I don't seem to have any TCS or VDC, but still have the ABS.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by Skrill
The best Z for tracking is the Performance Nissan race car.

The 6 speed will be faster than the 5MT on any track.

The Brembros do not stop from a cold 60-0 distance than the non-Brembros. Braking distance is a function of vehicle weight and tire grip.

However, the Brembros (or another BBK -- I bought Stoptechs) are necessary for track purposes as the non-Brembro will fade to oblivion on the track (the 16 year old idiot was right in that respect -- the BBK advantage is heat/fade resistance).

While the stock Brembros may be heavier than regular brakes -- this is because of the heavy rotor used. Replace the stock rotor with the Stoptech direct replacements and you will cut unsprung weight dramatically (this is because of the aluminum hat and 2-piece design of the Stoptech rotor).

I made a track car by taking the Enthusiast model (I wanted Xenons, Cruise, Homelink and VLSD -- at least until I do the Nismo) -- adding SSR Comps with massive tires (265/35 front - 295/35 rear), Stoptechs, and 350Evo Sways. Since then I have also added a Koyo Radiator, Nismo P/S cooler and Nissan Motorsport Oil Cooler -- the track temps at my local Socal tracks get very excessive -- you will overheat the stock radiator if you run your hard.

There is no real need to a lot of power adders until you can take the Z to its absolute limit. Even then you will get better times by putting on R-comp tires versus stuff like intake and exhaust.

Here is my writeup on my track makeover stage one:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/97150-the-diy-track-model-stoptechs-installed.html

Good luck and have fun.

Listen to this guy, this setup is superior to the track 350z and marginally more expensive. And warranty to drivetrain is not compromised.

Last edited by Nano; 04-15-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by Kolia
Plus, you can't put an after-market LSD on a VDC equiped car.
Who told you that? That is false. Any LSD will work on any MT 350Z, vdc equipped or not.

The problem is only for automatic cars.

Last edited by Nano; 04-15-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Nano
Who told you that? That is false. Any LSD will work on any MT 350Z, vdc equipped or not.

The problem is only for automatic cars.

What's different with automatic cars then?

Anyways, I was quoting NISMO on that...
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Where did you see that? I don't see anything about that on the Nissan->NISMO page.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Kolia

I read that on some printed document I got from my dealership.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:50 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're looking to buy a car and go straight to the track then by far the track model would be the best.

If you're going to go racing often and jump into it with both feet then get the base. You WILL replace most of the extra options the base Z doesnt offer. I've never heard anything great about the stock LSD unit even the nismo one has cought some crap from track guys.

Plus the base weighs the least out of all the Zs by a few lbs.

Bottem line if you want a turn key track car buy the track model.
If you want to build a nice all around car go for the base becuase its pointless to waste money on things you will only ebay/trash later on.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Tex Willer

I wish we had a base model in Canada

would have saved quite some money on useless stuff...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:55 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the Track Model, of course that's what I have anyway. It's everybody to their own taste. And I like having the Brembo Brakes. I will be building it up also, but I wouldn't have it no other way.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Nano

I do not know what is different with automatic cars. I was quoting nismo website.

What I know, is that Nissan-Nismo writes a lot of poo-poo. (they say same thing about nismo wheels and nismo suspension).

I also know that people have been running aftermarket LSD, Nismo wheels and suspensions on VDC equipped car for quite some time now without any issue. (kaaz, nismo and co.)
Old 04-16-2005, 04:25 AM
zillinois

I track my car 13 or so times a year and if I had to do it over, I only see three choices. BTW, I have a Performance model.

( Track Model ) will need new pads, lines and fluid and it will be ready for a few track days. However, if you gain the skill to drive fast, or drive more than just a few track days, you will need to upgrade the brakes, tires and swaybars, and possibly suspension.

Plusses - Brembos, Lighter/wider rims, LSD. Minuses - Brembos, LSD, 18" tires expensive and smaller selection

( Enthusiast Model ) will need a brake kit, pads, lines, fluid immediately to be safely trackable. I drove probably 8 track days on the stock brakes and it was unsafe after 2 track days. After your skill develops, add all the stuff from above.

Plusses- Has LSD, HID's, TCS, 17" rims equals cheaper tires and bigger selection, good compromise, add brakes and you are still cheaper than a track model with same results. 17" rims are probably better than 18's at the track. Minuses - Immediate brake upgrade required. You will eventually run into the limits of your car and have to replace everything anyway. 50 series tires will have to go immediately.

( Base Model ) This choice is really only for people who have a ton of money and know exactly how they want to prep their car for the track.

Plusses - Blank canvas, No VDC/TCS, Possible to do minimum prep and still be cheaper than a track. Minuses - Need LSD, Brakes before you can do anything. Expensive up front to get trackable. No HID's

If I had to pick one to go to a shootout against other cars without any prep, I'd pick the Track. If I was going to race prep the car I'd pick the Base and if I was just going to take it to the track on occasion or even regularly, I'd pick the Enthusiast.

In short;
Best value is the Enthusiast
Best out of the box is the Track
Best place to start if you have money the Base

Last edited by zillinois; 04-16-2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:57 AM
nicolaycastro

Originally Posted by zillinois
Best place to start if you have money the Base

Ironic but logic.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 AM
WayneHill

Default New 350 z owner

Originally Posted by Tex Willer
I wish we had a base model in Canada

would have saved quite some money on useless stuff...
i just purchased a mint 07 350z what id like to find out is what model it is.its got a ton of neat options ex.heated burnt orange power seats,vtc, xenon lites,power heated mirrors and lots more but the brakes appear not to be brembro as they are alumimum colored with 4 piston front and 2 piston rear the car is a roadster but like i said it says nothing about being base or enthusiast or touring on any paperwork i have.can anyone tell me which model it may or may not be thanks.
Wayne
Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneHill
i just purchased a mint 07 350z what id like to find out is what model it is.its got a ton of neat options ex.heated burnt orange power seats,vtc, xenon lites,power heated mirrors and lots more but the brakes appear not to be brembro as they are alumimum colored with 4 piston front and 2 piston rear the car is a roadster but like i said it says nothing about being base or enthusiast or touring on any paperwork i have.can anyone tell me which model it may or may not be thanks.
Wayne
Use the VIN decoder under the Tools bar.