Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

track model uncomfortable, huh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
anotheraznguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, you stated that they changed the shock/springs on the 05.. do you have any more details on that?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:39 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Neo105
* Sports car
Not in the 350Z's case. Sports cars are usually stiff, yes, but that's not the problem with the 2003 and early 2004 models. Basically, the rear shocks are improperly damped for the springs. If you get on a certain type of freeway or roadway at a certain speed, the thing can get a sort of harmonic/cyclic bouncing going on that can get quite bad. This has nothing to do with stiff suspension. It's simply bad design on Nissan's part. I've owned and ridden in numerous cars with mildly stiff to extremely stiff suspensions, and none of them (when properly configured) had any of this sort of harmonic bouncing that happens. They were stiff and rough, of course, but that's different than what we're talking about here.

It sounds like Nissan fixed this problem in the late 2004 models and 2005 models by correcting the damping rate of the oem shocks. For those with the older models, though, it can be corrected by any of the following:

1) Springs that more correctly match the oem shocks' damping rates (such as the Hotchkis springs).

2) Shocks that more correctly match the oem spring rates (such as the Koni shocks).

3) Both.

I started with #2, and it was fantastic. The porpoising was gone, and being able to easily mess with the rebound damping on the Konis was fun. The adjustability ended up not being necessary, as I actually prefer them set to the softest setting, which is where they come from the factory and is where Koni recommends you set them when used with the oem springs. I later went with option #3 and added aftermarket springs simply because I wanted to get rid of some of the understeer the Z has.

Lots of people choose option #1 because a set of springs is usually much cheaper than a set of good shocks. I didn't want to go that route, however, since the Hotchkis springs are actually *softer* in the rear than stock, that wouldn't help the understeer. If you don't mind the handling of a stock Z and just want to get rid of the bounce and that's it, try out the Hotchkis springs. If you are a bit more hardcore and want to really change the handling, go for option #3. I only did #2 first since I initially wasn't sure where I was going to do aftermarket springs. Otherwise I would've just started with option #3.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:45 PM
blazinZ

damn not those ugly seats on here again.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
cwalker

Originally Posted by Alonjar
This is a known issue. The commonly recommended fix is to get the following seat covers:

Can I get those seat covers in vinyl? -heh... who recommends these?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Master4846

I don't know if there are any bigger guys in the Z. But for me the seats sides dig into my back. I am getting used to it but man for the first couple hundred miles my sides hurt.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Master4846
I don't know if there are any bigger guys in the Z. But for me the seats sides dig into my back. I am getting used to it but man for the first couple hundred miles my sides hurt.
Yeah, that's a problem for a lot of folks. The seats in the Z are not really sized for wide guys. I'm probably borderline, so it's not *too* bad. But some of my coworkers are pretty overweight, and they don't like riding in my car for any extended length of time. A trip to lunch is fine, but a road trip would be unacceptable. Of course, they all drive big trucks and SUVs with giant couch-like seats, so maybe they just aren't used to sport seats.

But in relation to the top of this thread, the Track seats are the same cloth seats the other models have, so they are all equally uncomfortable.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I noticed.

Driver gansta' style will not be confortable in a Z. I drive with the seat pretty straight and I love these seats.

I'm 6'1" and 200lb...
Old 04-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Built2shredZ

Nissan should of put the Nismo Suspension on the Track Model, Makes a huge difference in ride and handling.... Well worth the $$$ in my opinion..
Old 04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
Nissan should of put the Nismo Suspension on the Track Model, Makes a huge difference in ride and handling.... Well worth the $$$ in my opinion..
I believe the Nismo suspension is progressive, which will make it ride better on the street. Definitely a good idea for a street car, in my opinion. Hardcore track guys will tell you progressive springs are bad for handling, but they're hardcore track guys talking about hardcore track use.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just drove 730 miles straight (about 12 hours) and franckly, I love these seats for long distances!

Just loose weight
Old 04-30-2005, 10:24 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Kolia
Well, I just drove 730 miles straight (about 12 hours) and franckly, I love these seats for long distances!
Just loose weight
Heh, yeah, a bit easier said than done, though.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:42 PM
forgeur

It's very easy to lose weight, stop eating anything that tastes, smells or looks good.

I made a deal with my wife, if I dropped 35 pounds I could get the Z since I could then fit in the seats, now I am working on the last 20 pounds to get very comfortable in the seats.

I am average height at 5'9" and weigh 200 pounds now and I think the seats are just a bit to tight on the side where the supports are. I hope the next 20 pounds makes it a bit easier sit all the way back in the seat. The azz is comfortable, the back can be a pain after 50 miles if I am not careful about how I sit.

R
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
time4aspliff

This has always confused me a bit. Most of the publications report that that all the suspensions are indentical but if you go back and read the initial road test reviews, (i.e. Car & Driver, Motor Trend) they actually mention that the Track edition runs a slightly stiffer suspension independent of the wheels/tires.

I don't get it...
Old 05-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^Typical car mag. No idea what they are talking about.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:43 PM
arejohn

Buying a sports car and expecting a comfy ride....where was your head?