Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should you have to pay shipping charges on a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should you have to pay shipping charges on a new car.

If the dealer is having to ship a new car from another state is it customary for me to pay for the shipping charges.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:10 AM
need Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I remember reading somewhere (possibly edmunds.com) that it is a BS charge. I wouldn't pay it, or at least get the price down another 500 for it.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 AM
mgk65

Forget that.

Make the deal for yourself and go there and get it.

I bought my Z from a dealer 350 miles away. We rented a car, drove there and enjoyed the drive back in the Z.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:15 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

All a matter of negociation.

It is not unusual.

I paid $250 to have my Brick driven 300 miles to me. I was willing to do it because it was the only Z in NorCali at the time meeting the specs I wanted.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
510dat

Where was it? There's not much of Nor Cal that's 300 miles away from Sac.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
350zRat

I wasnt charged, it was about 250+ miles away from the dealer.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
ZBoater

Guys, you ALWAYS pay for it, whether they list it out on an invoice or not. Think about it - the transportation company needs to get paid - the dealer is going to pay them no matter what. So, where does the money come from? Your pocket eventually, of course. The dealer is going to try to get as much money from you as possible, and your job is to give them as little as possible that they will accept. You can stand firm and say you wont pay the charge, and they can either not charge you extra or tell you to buy the car somewhere else. Competition between dealers is your friend.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
phile

Originally Posted by ZBoater
Guys, you ALWAYS pay for it, whether they list it out on an invoice or not. Think about it - the transportation company needs to get paid - the dealer is going to pay them no matter what. So, where does the money come from? Your pocket eventually, of course. The dealer is going to try to get as much money from you as possible, and your job is to give them as little as possible that they will accept. You can stand firm and say you wont pay the charge, and they can either not charge you extra or tell you to buy the car somewhere else. Competition between dealers is your friend.
Dude, you're not right at all. :P It's called a DESTINATION CHARGE. SO yes you're right, but only by default (which doesn't count). Because in fact it is not a hidden cost at all. Anything over and above that destination charge is merely a way for the dealer to squeeze more money out.

Last edited by phile; 04-28-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Sensation350Z

it`s a BS charge, 100%. Some dealers will even admit that.

Don`t pay it.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:15 PM
ZBoater

Originally Posted by phile
Dude, you're not right at all. :P It's called a DESTINATION CHARGE. SO yes you're right, but only by default (which doesn't count). Because in fact it is not a hidden cost at all. Anything over and above that destination charge is merely a way for the dealer to squeeze more money out.
Hey, even stuff on the sticker is bs, like $100 for splashguards, etc. Depending on the car and the situation, some people will negotiate the overall price lower, thus not paying those bs charges, and others wont. When I got my Roadster, it was HOT HOT HOT, and some dealers were charging OVER sticker, and getting it too. I was lucky to pay ONLY sticker, since it was the only Roadster 6MT in the Tampa area that weekend, and boy did I want one bad!!! Some had those dealer add on stickers and charged like $500 for some bs paint treatment - seen those? That the most expensive wax job on the planet. If I were buying today, they have Roadster coming out of their ... ears ... and I bet I could not only not pay any of those bs charged, but a heck of a lot closer to the supposed "invoice" number. Its all supply and demand, and you have to watch out cause they will try to get as much money from you as they can.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM
350G

You shouldn't have to pay for it . . . my dealer traveled about 200 miles to trailer my Z back to KY. I wanted it since the odometer only had 11 miles on it, whereas, the vehicle on the lot had 220 miles of test driving. I test drove the one on the lot and needless to say, I gave her hell. Can't imagine what everyone else did to it

If you have another dealer in the area, just have them war over the price. That usually knocks off hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

G
Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
phile

Hey, even stuff on the sticker is bs, like $100 for splashguards, etc. Depending on the car and the situation, some people will negotiate the overall price lower, thus not paying those bs charges, and others wont. When I got my Roadster, it was HOT HOT HOT, and some dealers were charging OVER sticker, and getting it too. I was lucky to pay ONLY sticker, since it was the only Roadster 6MT in the Tampa area that weekend, and boy did I want one bad!!! Some had those dealer add on stickers and charged like $500 for some bs paint treatment - seen those? That the most expensive wax job on the planet. If I were buying today, they have Roadster coming out of their ... ears ... and I bet I could not only not pay any of those bs charged, but a heck of a lot closer to the supposed "invoice" number. Its all supply and demand, and you have to watch out cause they will try to get as much money from you as they can.
I agree, it's all BS :P But what I emant was the destination charge is right on the invoice. Any other shipping charges are called D&H fees. Stands for delivery and handling, which is basically a double charge.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 AM
ZBoater

Yeah, most factory stickers include a destination charge. I dont know if its "right" or not, but its there. The hanky panky comes with those "add on" stickers, a sticker they put on the side of the factory sticker. It put on at the dealer and includes "dealer installed" options like - pinstripes, alarm, paint treatment, and sometimes custom wheels or leather or things like that. Some just come out and say "market adjustment" and add $5,000. That their way of saying the car is too hot to let go at sticker. I remember when the PT Cruisers came out they had these $5K market adjustment stickers on them. Now they cant give them away. The market is a beautiful thing for those who are patient and willing to wait. For those of US who are freaking impatient bratty fools (that be me), we pay the sticker when the car is hot hot hot cause even though we know better, well, we just gotta have it.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:20 AM
rxtrom

Tell the dealer you are not going to pay for the transportaion costs. Be FIRM and say I will get it myself and give that dealership the sale. Be nice about it though so they would be willing to work with you, and not hate you. IF they wont work with you then just get it yourself. How far is it?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 AM
phile

Yeah, most factory stickers include a destination charge. I dont know if its "right" or not, but its there. The hanky panky comes with those "add on" stickers, a sticker they put on the side of the factory sticker. It put on at the dealer and includes "dealer installed" options like - pinstripes, alarm, paint treatment, and sometimes custom wheels or leather or things like that. Some just come out and say "market adjustment" and add $5,000. That their way of saying the car is too hot to let go at sticker. I remember when the PT Cruisers came out they had these $5K market adjustment stickers on them. Now they cant give them away. The market is a beautiful thing for those who are patient and willing to wait. For those of US who are freaking impatient bratty fools (that be me), we pay the sticker when the car is hot hot hot cause even though we know better, well, we just gotta have it.
I paid sticker in '03 :P The destination charge is a real charge though. Everyone has to deal with that. The lucky few that don't are the people who actually buy their car for under invoice.