Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone replace the windshield yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 09:10 PM
chicago_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone replace the windshield yet?

Hi all - on one of my incredibly pleasurable drives on the expressway the other day a car kicked up a rock into my windshield. Loud as hell and scared the crap out of me.

When I got home and got it under the garage lights I saw that I now have a quarter inch hairline crack in the windshield on the passenger side.

Its not spreading yet but I suppose it might. I AM glad that it was the windshield instead of the paint - but I'm kinda sadned nonetheless.

Has anyone out there had to replace the windshield? I'm going to obviously have to replace it but I'm nervous about some of these questions...

- Does it take a long time to get a new windshield for this somewhat rare care we have?
- Does the new windshield have the dot pattern over the mirror
- Was the mirror properly reinstalled?
- any seal problems?

THANKS
Old 11-25-2002, 01:48 PM
themyst

a 1/4 inch ding on your windshield can be repaired easily for 50 bucks. In my case, I now have a 10 inch crack across the windshield due to a stray airborne rock on the freeway. I will be getting it replaced tomorrow and I will let you know. But from what I am told, it is an OEM windshield /w auto dimming mirror. Make sure they don't replace your windshield with a base-model windshield which doesn't have an autodimming mirror.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:14 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can have that repaired, but do so quickly, the crack will spider if left untreated, and then it wont be repairable.

itll be about a 10th of the price to have it repaired vs replaced.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:46 PM
k2we

I've had a number of windshields replaced over the years and they always popped the original mirror off and re-installed it on the new windshield.. While I've not had to replace my "Z " windshield, I see no reason why they won't do the same thing.. The mount for the mirror should be on the new glass. The windshield is normally not sold with a mirror.. It's very easy to pop your mirror off..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Last edited by k2we; 11-25-2002 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:57 PM
ares
Veteran

I believe its mainly the dot matrix and the mount for the mirror that is the consideration. tho I have no clue what that dot matrix is for, I think you need it. and also, for a 3 month old car, I know I would want OEM equipment... I donno, just sorta in my head, but the car is so new, it sucks that it broke, but if you get OEM its good as new.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:19 PM
chicago_z

Thanks for the tips so far - keep me posted on developments or good advice.

I talked to the parts department at a nissan dealership and he gave me a price, for windshield alone of $860.00 plus service dept says about 150 to install.

That price is for OEM windshield. He also said it could take a long time to get because they dont stock them and it might have to come all the way from Japan.

I could save a ton of money getting non-oem glass replacement. Either way, I have a $250 deductable for this on isurance.

BUT - I'm much happier to hear that I can probably just have it repaired. Thanks for that info. I was under the (uneducated) impression that if there was an actual CRACK of any size they could not repair it completely.

I'm going to call some glass repair places and get an idea of what I can do and what it will cost. I'll also call non-oem glass places and see what the story there.

I'll post whatever I find here.

thanks again - Z owners are truly in a class all by themselves.

john
chicago_z
Old 11-26-2002, 06:35 PM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by chicago_z
I talked to the parts department at a nissan dealership and he gave me a price, for windshield alone of $860.00 plus service dept says about 150 to install.

That price is for OEM windshield. He also said it could take a long time to get because they dont stock them and it might have to come all the way from Japan.

Interesting feedback here. My Nissan dealer quoted me $965 for an OEM windshield.

BTW, the dot matrix is intended to provide some measure of window shading as the sun visors do not rotate down to cover the dot matrixed area of the glass.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:12 AM
themyst

that 960-something quote is on target with what i got quoted. Luckily I have zero-deductible on my glass, and i got it replaced with an OEM windshield. The guys at the glass place were bitching about how tough it was to replace, took them 3 hours. You have to take off the roof pillars which have like 12 screws each or something of that nature. But it was a very nice clean job and I would use that autoglass repair again... Safelite glass was the name of the company.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:06 PM
chicago_z

Since it was OEM - maybe Safelight marked it up from the dealer? The price I got was from a Nissan parts dept. at a dealership. It was the windshield only, no trim or sealer.

I went through my insurance and they actually put me in touch with Safelight (sp?) the person there I talked to said that if the crack is smaller than a dollar bill and depending on the location they could make it look as if it never happened.

Since it is not a replacement, there is no deductable and they are just going to come over to my house on Saturday and fix it. If it just goes away and I dont have to mess with replacing the whole windshield I'll be happy.

then on Monday I take it into the dealership and have the AMP replaced finally.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:27 PM
chicago_z

Default UPDATE

Had my windshield fixed with no deductible. As I mentioned, the mark was very small, but after the fix it is even smaller. It no longer looks like a mark or crack but it actually looks like a tiny water drop. I can't see it at night and can only spot it during the day because I know where it is.

If I get a few more window dings I'll eventually replace the whole windshield with an OEM. No sense in replacing it now when, with such a low car, it will likely happen again.

thanks for the tips and info...

regards,
john

p.s. after my amp replacement my stereo sounds great - even for a Bose.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:23 PM
sage

Anyone else since December have to replace the windshield?

If not, I might be number 2 then. A loud rock hit my windshield last weekend, and it wasn't until the next afternoon that my wife heard a pop and then an 8 inch long crack appeared. Insurance co. set an appointment for Safelight to come repair it tomarrow. Should be interesting to see if they have the right glass in stock. The GEICO claims woman said it wouldn't be a problem bit I doubt it.

I don't really care if its OEM glass or not, as long as the dots are replicated and they take care of the mirror.

This is the first real issue I have had with the Z and it's 2 1/2 months old now with a bit over 6K miles. No dings on the hood or bumper yet, so I am just making a point of not stressing over this.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:36 PM
k2we

I had my windshield replaced about 4 weeks ago. It was a stress crack. The guy at the glass place said mine was the 4th 350Z he has had come thru his shop. They replaced it with a PPG windshield and it looks exactly like the factory one and is much better made.. My old one had several factory imperfections.. I have 100% glass coverage so it didn't cost a dime..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 6854 miles since Sept 17th....
Old 04-21-2003, 08:02 PM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

I had mine replaced a while back. Those prices sound about right. Nissan was able to get the glass within a week. No problem with the mirror. It's not a fun thing to watch though. The installer has to remove lots of stuff.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 PM
ChinaClipper

Had my windshield glass replaced in January. Replacement was a LOF (Libby Owens Ford) part - perfect reproduction of the mirror dots and all!
Old 04-21-2003, 10:30 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got hit with a rock last week- hit mid windshield drivers side right next to the pillar- I wish i was lucky enough to get just a ding- but ended up with a 4 inch crack instantly- It's now expanded to about 7 inches.
My dealer quoted $870 + 70 labor. My insurance deductible is $500 . I was quoted $350 by a glass installer but I'm pretty sure this is non-OEM, I'd rather ante up the extra $150 and get an OEM replacement just to be safe.
With my luck I'll get it replaced and it will happen again within two weeks
Old 04-21-2003, 11:19 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i paid 200 bucks to have my replaced with PPG glass which is as good if not better than stock, they came to me and installed it, it was 200 installed and everything