2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lets be nice to new forum members

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 02:20 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Lets be nice to new forum members

It has been maybe one week that I have joined this forum and I have had a very good experience with the amount of help that I have had from other members, however one particular post really tweaked at me alittle. I asked a simple question about a part that I just learned about. I am a new Z owner and with all of the new modifications and problems and parts that can be taken off and put back on, it is impossible to read everything on these subjects. Am I right? I know that there is a search engine on this site, however being new I am still learning how to navigate this site. And when you are checking one item there is always a post that you read that brings up another question.
We've all been there. We are not at all born with the inate knowlege of mechanics or modification on these highly sophisticated cars or at least Im not. It is something that we all learn with experience and being mentored by those who have done the same thing and who have the love and passion.
I remember getting this talk when I was in my, mmm let see, 15th year of being a paramedic and it was my job to mentor new medics. There is a virtue called patience and when someone asks a question, i feel it is my job not to scald them for it because i "think" they should know it but to educate them on it. Not to belittle them because they are not up to my level of knowledge or experience.
The same goes here. Everyone has a large amount of love for there cars. And this forum is basically a brother/sisterhood and when new members come in and asked a question that has probably been answered more than a few times, just educate them on how to navigate the website, or if you dont have the patience, just skip the question and go to the next thread. Dont belittle them on their own threads.
Well that is all I have to say. I hope I stepped on a few toes.
And for the one who belittled me because i didnt do a thorough enough search, its because Im sitting here in Iraq and dont have all day to search through the hundreds of threads that pop up on a search.

Thanks guys. I hope you all have a great day. And thanks for being my sound board. I just hope the monitors dont delete this thread..lol.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same difficulty searching when i was new. try the "search titles only" option. it will help eliminate non-pertinent info.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:07 AM
zzz350

**** off, we hate new members (just kidding)
Old 05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by zzz350
**** off, we hate new members (just kidding)
its cool..its just something I had to bring up and get off my chest...
Old 05-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya I know which thread you are talking about. I was the same way at first... There are some parts on the Z that my previous cars never had, or had a different name for...such as the plenum, test pipes, y-pipe, etc... Anyways I learned by reading a lot. I spent the first month or so after registering, just reading all the posts. And after that, I started posting some questions.

Don't think that we are belittling you. I know some people are like that including myself sometimes, but we don't mean any harm. But I do agree with you that there is just wayyyyy too much info on this board that its hard to search for exactly what you want sometimes. We should have a "librarian" for this site...a hot one...in a mini-skirt...with sohpisticated glasses...and a white half see-thru shirt...unbuttoned to see the pink laced bra...*drool.............................*

Anyways hope you understand and I hope we all can improve from this also. Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta jump in the cold shower for a bit.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:52 AM
ZBoater

I think there are some replies to newbies that should best be left unposted. As a general rule, I think that unless you will post something useful and respectful, even if it is to suggest using the Search function, you shouldnt post at all. Some replies to noob questions are cynical, mocking, disrespectful and outright nasty, especially if the noob asking is under 21. This somehow turns the whole thread into an internet version of a high-school cafeteria food fight.

Sad.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:14 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I guess sometimes we get short tempered, after being on here for 3 years sometimes you can't control yourself after seeing the same question being asked for the umpteenth time the same week, I know I usually keep going past them but sometimes I can't help it, also sometimes we don't know if it is for real, or the guy is really dense. But I will try grasshopper.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
ZBoater

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I'm over at a technical forum posting on the new Treo 650, and it is amazing how many times people ask the same question over and over and over again. I gave up. I took the time and did 2 or 3 good posts with the most basic info and answers, and every time a noob asks the question, I just post a link to my post. I even have links to those posts in my sig. That answers like 50% of the noob questions. But I have been known to lose it ocassionally....
Old 05-01-2005, 10:24 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Hey nitrouz..how bout the chic in your avatar..that would keep me coming back for more..lol
Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

and while im asking..how do i get this da*n avatar function to work..I looked in the faq section and it didnt tell me anything. I tried double clicking on the avatar on my profile and still to no avail..WTH am i doing wrong????
Old 05-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
and while im asking..how do i get this da*n avatar function to work..I looked in the faq section and it didnt tell me anything. I tried double clicking on the avatar on my profile and still to no avail..WTH am i doing wrong????
OMG DO A SEARCH YOU NEWB!!! j/k

lol, I think there is a sticky for that It's only available to "premier members" unless you had one before it was a premier member only thing. If I were to change mine now it would be blank. Unless I paid $
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 AM
bstansbu

Default search

It has been maybe one week that I have joined this forum and I have had a very good experience with the amount of help that I have had from other members, however one particular post really tweaked at me alittle. I asked a simple question about a part that I just learned about. I am a new Z owner and with all of the new modifications and problems and parts that can be taken off and put back on, it is impossible to read everything on these subjects. Am I right? I know that there is a search engine on this site, however being new I am still learning how to navigate this site. And when you are checking one item there is always a post that you read that brings up another question.
We've all been there. We are not at all born with the inate knowlege of mechanics or modification on these highly sophisticated cars or at least Im not. It is something that we all learn with experience and being mentored by those who have done the same thing and who have the love and passion.
I remember getting this talk when I was in my, mmm let see, 15th year of being a paramedic and it was my job to mentor new medics. There is a virtue called patience and when someone asks a question, i feel it is my job not to scald them for it because i "think" they should know it but to educate them on it. Not to belittle them because they are not up to my level of knowledge or experience.
The same goes here. Everyone has a large amount of love for there cars. And this forum is basically a brother/sisterhood and when new members come in and asked a question that has probably been answered more than a few times, just educate them on how to navigate the website, or if you dont have the patience, just skip the question and go to the next thread. Dont belittle them on their own threads.
And for the one who belittled me because i didnt do a thorough enough search, its because Im sitting here in Iraq and dont have all day to search through the hundreds of threads that pop up on a search.

Thanks guys. I hope you all have a great day. And thanks for being my sound board. I just hope the monitors dont delete this thread..lol.
Come on man!! If you would have used the search function you would have found that there are already post about beeing nice to newbies, you just wasted a post. hahaha just joking. Welcome to this site, it rocks. Ive been about a year and I still get people telling me to search, especially my best friend Pilot Z, YOU ******!! hahahah peace. BEN
Old 05-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Hey nitrouz..how bout the chic in your avatar..that would keep me coming back for more..lol
really? even if I ask noob questions?? u won't mind cuz I have that avatar right??

I'm just wondering...there's an extra bolt to my front rotors...and I can't get my volks on! What should I do??

how do I put the tps in my aftermarket wheels??

what makes the new track and 35th anniversary models have 300hp??

what's the best sounding exhaust out there??

why are my front tires roaring?

anyone have 19" rims? how's the ride quality?

okok...sorry just feel like being an a*s cuz I'm studying too much...finals are in 2 weeks... here's a pic for you ncparamedic to represent my apology...
Attached Thumbnails Lets be nice to new forum members-volk-chick.jpg  
Old 05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
bstansbu

Originally Posted by nitrouz
really? even if I ask noob questions?? u won't mind cuz I have that avatar right??

I'm just wondering...there's an extra bolt to my front rotors...and I can't get my volks on! What should I do??

how do I put the tps in my aftermarket wheels??

what makes the new track and 35th anniversary models have 300hp??

what's the best sounding exhaust out there??

why are my front tires roaring?

anyone have 19" rims? how's the ride quality?

okok...sorry just feel like being an a*s cuz I'm studying too much...finals are in 2 weeks... here's a pic for you ncparamedic to represent my apology...

Is that chic in your picture a "little people" or is that rim just huge?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by bstansbu

Is that chic in your picture a "little people" or is that rim just huge?
I think its a 20 incher...

either way, I'd still hit it. The chick I mean...
Old 05-01-2005, 11:43 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wats the badest exhaust?
Wat radar detector should i by?
Turbo or supercharger?
Brakes, which brand ?
Wats the widest tire i can...?

Sorry, my head is spinning.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by jcn30127
Wats the badest exhaust?
Wat radar detector should i by?
Turbo or supercharger?
Brakes, which brand ?
Wats the widest tire i can...?

Sorry, my head is spinning.
man...you really need to learn how to search! Don't make me tell you again u noob!!

j/k
Old 05-01-2005, 10:12 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

ok ok ok...lol...point verrryy well taken....I will be more efficient in my searching technique....Hope you guys have a great day..you guys really do kill me..lol ----------
Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 AM
dan-14

nicely put, and i agree.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

People have already written several "Let's be nice to new forum members" posts. Next time try searching before you post!

Quick Reply: Lets be nice to new forum members