Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z mechanical quality > G35's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:57 PM
chingwithbling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z mechanical quality > G35's?

I compared the Z and G35C on Yahoo autos, because I want the Z but my dad wants me to get a G35, and I noticed the JD Power reliability ratings, which said that the mechanical quality of the Z is much better than that of the G35(4 stars as opposed to 2)! Is this really the case, because in that case, I might have him sold on the Z (once I show my mom the crash test ratings, she wants me to drive a monster truck or something). I was under the impression that they were basically the same car, except the G had 2 more seats and was Infiniti, which, if you take Toyota/Lexus as an example, should have better quality than Nissan.

Link here
Old 05-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Side and curtain airbags aren't enough to convince your parents?

I have heard that the G has fewer instances of the tire feathering problem. Mechanically, Infiniti and Nissan are very similar though. Most times you can interchange parts between them, I can't imagine why the Nissan would be rated at a significantly higher mech. quality.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:11 AM
afr0puff

I question the validity of those ratings. With it's stiffer suspension how exactly did the Z score higher in comfort than the G, considering the G does feature more creature comforts than the Z. Not to mention the Z beat out the G in terms of features and accessories. A significant amount of features and accessories that you can "order" on the Z, come standard on the G.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 AM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afr0puff
I question the validity of those ratings. With it's stiffer suspension how exactly did the Z score higher in comfort than the G, considering the G does feature more creature comforts than the Z. Not to mention the Z beat out the G in terms of features and accessories. A significant amount of features and accessories that you can "order" on the Z, come standard on the G.

+1
Old 05-17-2005, 07:42 AM
barthelb
Master

1 thing might be the amount of controllers and semiconductors in the car. The more stuff in a car the more likely you might have problems. Maybe thats where they got these ratings from.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:05 AM
The Tourist

i dont like the look of the G's . the front grille looks like a grasshopper. LOL
no wonder ur dad wants u to get the G . G is more for older peeps by the way it looks .
Old 05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
SB Track

The G is built with higher production standards, supposedly. I would say it is only put together slightly better than the Z. The super complicated dual climate control center console might break earlier, haha.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
mrZeee

better materials - better dealer service with Infiniti? - with my limited experience with two Nissan dealerships, neither has impressed me
Old 05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned both, it's pretty much the same car. Had feathering problems on both, rattles in both and grease streaks on both.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you need to look at the target buyer too. The Infiniti buyer will tend to be older and more into a GT car than a sports car. This being the case they'd probably be more pissy when they first review the car. The older person probably wants the automatic nose picker and is disappointed when it is not included.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:57 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GZire
I think you need to look at the target buyer too. The Infiniti buyer will tend to be older and more into a GT car than a sports car. This being the case they'd probably be more pissy when they first review the car. The older person probably wants the automatic nose picker and is disappointed when it is not included.
Agreed. I would think it's higher expectations from the target buyer.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 PM
barthelb
Master

Good Point!!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 AM
r4z0r3cK

sorry to bring this topic out of the blue but ive been trolling for awhile and plannin on getting an 04 350z. from the trolling ive heard some ppl say harsh things about the many problems the z has had even with the 04. dunno much about the 05 since nobody has really put a lot of mileage on it. the question i want to know is if getting an 04 g35c would be a smarter decision reliability wise? or r the z and g35 so similar itll be no difference either way.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 AM
FairladyZ

Repair costs for the nissan in the furture are going to be half of what it would cost to repair an infiniti.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by FairladyZ
Repair costs for the nissan in the furture are going to be half of what it would cost to repair an infiniti.
+1
Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
tware

how is that? I've seen the parts price list for both, they arent that different. You can get wholesale parts pricing just like Nissan. The labor price is the same locally.

The ratings are purely an expectations issue.

I'd have gotten a 350z if I didnt have to service it at a Nissan dealer. Thats all the G is to me, a Z with decent service.

If you have a good dealer in your area, I see no reason to purchase a G over a Z, if the seats arent an issue. Insurance is a tad lower on the G, but if youre young, I doubt one will be much cheaper than the other.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
hypeiv

wow this is an interesting situation. Nothing against the G but I personally chose the Z so obviously I favor it's style more. But if someone was going to be buying the car for me and I had to pick between the two that brings in a whole new deminsion. As far as safety goes I don't see how the G could be that much more safe than the Z. In fact, I am sure the back seat of the G is not that safe... whereas in the Z you don't have to worry about that. (lame point I know). As far as service goes my Nissan dealership sucks... you may have better dealers in your area. I am about to start trying to take my car to the infiniti dealership even though I know it won't work (my friend takes his honda to the acura dealership all the time so we'll see).

Since this is a Z forum we don't get to hear about all the G problems even though I am sure they are similar since it is basicly the same car. G has a longer warranty and keeps it's value a little better, but if you want the Z that is not w/o some value.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:36 AM
tware

depends on the shop. I've talked to SM's at Infiniti shops who would do scheduled MX and out of warranty work on our Nissans (like our Pathfinder). They act like its on the sly and I dont think I get any service entries on the service records. But they are outstanding compared to our Nissan place. SO much less hassle. Not perfect, but much less drama.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
EZZ

You also get a 70k mile powertrain warranty with Infiniti and a 60k bumper to bumper which is significantly better than the Nissan warranty. Also, Consumer Reports (which blows away JD powers in reliability surveys) gives the G35 an above average rating compared to the Zs average. Now that being said, I think people tend to beat on the Zs more so sample bias is always a factor that can never be eliminated in the statistical calculations.

My G35 coupe has had 2 TSB (compression rod and axle creak) and never had a problem since (happened in the first couple months). My Infiniti dealer is a bit better than my Nissan dealer but both are very very good.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
woj666

Originally Posted by afr0puff
The G35C has a very uncomfortable back seat.

Quick Reply: Z mechanical quality > G35's?