Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A day at the Stoptech factory and test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 PM
jmcmorante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A day at the Stoptech factory and test drive!

Well, let me start by letting you know how I ended up there. I had a Stoptech big brake kit installed in the front @ around 4K miles. The brakes where wonderful and not a single issue until I hit 9K miles. Then I started to loose brake force pressure intermittently when coming to a stop. The pedal would just fall all the way to the back metal frame of the car (firewall) before starting to stop. After taking it to the dealer who did the install they where able to duplicate the problem but where puzzled as well as to what could be causing it. They bleed the lines several times and problem persisted. All parts also checked out as ok and in operational condition.

Stoptech themselves got involved after the car was at ther dealer for the same problem a second time. When I gave them a call I thought they where goign to be like most performance parts companies that once the product is sold they dont care. Well......................it was the contrary. They kept in touch with the dealer at all times for three days advising of different troubleshooting techniques. When all was unsuccesful............I thought.........thats it im screwed.........no one is going to do anything else. To my suprise, they called me at home and apologized for inconveniencing me but they would prefer for me to bring the car down to their factory for a look. Of course I accepted.

Today I arrived and was greeted by one of the owners, Matt. He took care of me the whole time. First we went for a 45 minute test drive around Palos Verdes and then he, himself, bleed the brakes again without caring of getting dirty or anything. I have nothing but compliments and thankfullness to Stoptech. They are a great company that goes out of their way for a customer. Just by having the owner do the work himself for you tolled me something. He even called one of the Nissan engineers at corporate himself.

My issue with the brakes still hasnt been resolved the pedal is still acting similar to what knockback would be but its not. I was advise by Stoptech to have the Brake master cylinder replaced and if not to give them a call.

My props to Stoptech and would suggest anyone to go with Stoptech. You get Excellent performance and a bonus in customer service.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Superhung

Isn't Stopetch located on Lomita Blvd. in Torrance? I just realized that they're like 10 minutes from my house (I live toward Redondo Beach). Maybe I should pay them a visit someday.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:24 AM
jmcmorante

Thats right. They are on Lomita. I would recommend their product anytime.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM
tekk

i am impressed...customer care like that is truly rare in this day...
Old 05-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Skrill

They are a great group. I bought my kit direct from them -- and I have gone back on several occasions to pick up track pads, fluid, and recently some titanium backing plates.

They are always the best -- and Jeff loves to take care of his Z bretheren.

This is the second Stoptech kit I have owned (I had one on my 2001 Audi S4) and I have always been very pleased with their quality and customer service.

If you intend to drop by -- I would encourage calling ahead. They are a very busy group over there.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:17 PM
jmcmorante

Why did u get the Titanium backing plates? Is it for the squeal?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Skrill

Originally Posted by jmcmorante
Why did u get the Titanium backing plates? Is it for the squeal?
No -- the Ti backing plates help insulate the pistons, dustboots, seals and brake fluid from the intense heat of track driving. I was doint 1 hours long sessions at Buttonwillow and I found my calipers were geting EXTREMELY hot. I did not boil by fluid (ATE Superblue) or experience fade -- but I figured that the heat was such that I would benefit form the extra protection of the backing plates (they are a small cost -- about $80).

Unless you are doing some hardcore track driving -- I would say they are not necessary.

If you are getting squeels on the street -- that probably means you just need to re-bed your pads (assuming you are using a street pad). I find that if I don't get the brakes hot for a while and I put a street miles on the car -- my Axxis Ultimates start squeel (this is a function of the Ultimate being a more agressive pad). I then just find a open stretch of road and do about 10 near stops from 60 mph to about 10 mph (don't actually stop the car) -- then drive around (again avoiding any long stops) and let the brakes cool. This should quiet the brakes down.

If you continue to have the problem -- consider trying a less agressive pad (like Axxis Deluxe). I don't think you will see any significant reduction in performance on the street, but the pads are supposedly silent. I plan to switch to Deluxe when the Ultimates wear out. Ultimates are good for street and AutoX -- but I never AutoX. They are no good as a track pad, and think they are a bit over agressive for pure street. I drive like a Nana on the street so I have no use for the more agressive street pad.

Now on the track -- different story altogether. There I use Performance Friction 01s (which causes me to go broke @ $300 a set).

Last edited by Skrill; 05-25-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

jmcmorante,

Please keep us informed on your progress in fixing this problem, as I wonder if I might have a similar one. I'm curious how the new master cylinder works out for you. Good luck!

Gary
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 PM
jmcmorante

Originally Posted by GaryM05
jmcmorante,

Please keep us informed on your progress in fixing this problem, as I wonder if I might have a similar one. I'm curious how the new master cylinder works out for you. Good luck!

Gary
I sure will. What similarities do you have? You see.........my problem is that sometimes the pedal falls to the floor. It doesnt feel like it has back resistance like it usually does. Its similar to knockback but I now know its not.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 AM
illZ

StopTech rocks!

I have the pleasure of working with one of the guys who works closely with ST. Very nice people all around.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure will. What similarities do you have? You see.........my problem is that sometimes the pedal falls to the floor. It doesnt feel like it has back resistance like it usually does. Its similar to knockback but I now know its not.
The problem I'm seeing is that after taking a turn at the track or on the street, the pedal often falls 2 - 3 inches before encountering any resistance, and before the car begins to slow. Multiple braking events in a straight line give me the high, hard, confident pedal I expect, but then after taking another turn, I encounter the soft pedal again.

This is after numerous bleeds, and the fact that I even encounter it on the street (where knockback shouldn't be a factor) tells me that it's probably not knockback.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 PM
jmcmorante

You have exactly what I have! I will keep you posted.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:08 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by GaryM05
The problem I'm seeing is that after taking a turn at the track or on the street, the pedal often falls 2 - 3 inches before encountering any resistance, and before the car begins to slow. Multiple braking events in a straight line give me the high, hard, confident pedal I expect, but then after taking another turn, I encounter the soft pedal again.

This is after numerous bleeds, and the fact that I even encounter it on the street (where knockback shouldn't be a factor) tells me that it's probably not knockback.
I have the same problem. Please do keep us informed if you figure this out. I experience this on the street with stock tires!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
jmcmorante

Default Help!!!!!!!

Ok.........Grrrr!!!! Where to start?

Nissan installed a new brake master cylinder 1 1/2 month ago and it solved my problem.................now however ITS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedal is florring even HARDER and FARTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IM I SUPPOSED TO DO. Im sure dealer will say what else can we do and stoptech will say its not us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:54 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Is there a sensor on the brake system that might be bad???
Old 07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
itburns

Well, let me start by letting you know how I ended up there. I had a Stoptech big brake kit installed in the front @ around 4K miles. The brakes where wonderful and not a single issue until I hit 9K miles. Then I started to loose brake force pressure intermittently when coming to a stop. The pedal would just fall all the way to the back metal frame of the car (firewall) before starting to stop. After taking it to the dealer who did the install they where able to duplicate the problem but where puzzled as well as to what could be causing it. They bleed the lines several times and problem persisted. All parts also checked out as ok and in operational condition.

Stoptech themselves got involved after the car was at ther dealer for the same problem a second time. When I gave them a call I thought they where goign to be like most performance parts companies that once the product is sold they dont care. Well......................it was the contrary. They kept in touch with the dealer at all times for three days advising of different troubleshooting techniques. When all was unsuccesful............I thought.........thats it im screwed.........no one is going to do anything else. To my suprise, they called me at home and apologized for inconveniencing me but they would prefer for me to bring the car down to their factory for a look. Of course I accepted.

Today I arrived and was greeted by one of the owners, Matt. He took care of me the whole time. First we went for a 45 minute test drive around Palos Verdes and then he, himself, bleed the brakes again without caring of getting dirty or anything. I have nothing but compliments and thankfullness to Stoptech. They are a great company that goes out of their way for a customer. Just by having the owner do the work himself for you tolled me something. He even called one of the Nissan engineers at corporate himself.

My issue with the brakes still hasnt been resolved the pedal is still acting similar to what knockback would be but its not. I was advise by Stoptech to have the Brake master cylinder replaced and if not to give them a call.

My props to Stoptech and would suggest anyone to go with Stoptech. You get Excellent performance and a bonus in customer service.
Man, it is exactly stories like these that keep me out of the aftermarket for the brakes and engine. Nismo is as far as I am willing to take it. I want to keep the car within the original engineers' intentions and specifications. It seems to me that a lot (not all, but a lot) of these aftermarket companies RUSH their products to the market without ample and adequate testing for quality and breaking points. There are too many stories of engine stalls (with CAI's), failed brakes, cracked heads and blown engines due to aftermarket parts like UR pulleys, FI, plenums and so forth. But never heard of any such problems with Nismo upgrades.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:41 PM
socalsean

Originally Posted by itburns
Man, it is exactly stories like these that keep me out of the aftermarket for the brakes and engine. Nismo is as far as I am willing to take it. I want to keep the car within the original engineers' intentions and specifications. It seems to me that a lot (not all, but a lot) of these aftermarket companies RUSH their products to the market without ample and adequate testing for quality and breaking points. There are too many stories of engine stalls (with CAI's), failed brakes, cracked heads and blown engines due to aftermarket parts like UR pulleys, FI, plenums and so forth. But never heard of any such problems with Nismo upgrades.
Nismo has other companies make their stuff so you're at risk just like everyone else.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
jmcmorante

Car back at the dealer as of today again. I was afraid that the problemwouldnt duplicate like before but since this time the problem is so persistent the pedal drop was felt by the manager test driving with me the minute he was coming out of the lot. I was glad since I didnt want them to think I was crazy. I got in touch with Stoptech again and showed their concern about this. Stoptech offered to call the dealer ASAP to try to figure out things again. Im hoping this time the issue is taken care off.

On another note, to step away from the stress, I forgot the wheel lock key so I have to come back tomorrow so they can remove the wheels. I felt so stupid but since I just got my rims last Friday Im still not used to having a wheel lock. I feel bad since the dealer is doing all they can and I forget the damn thing. I will be back in tomorrow morning again to drop of my wheels lock and my Stillen Sways to be installed.

At least my baby is at the hospital now (dealer), in intensive care but still with doctors around (techs). I miss her so much already.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Vertex350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you get this issue resolved bro. That way they can fix it so it doesn't happen in the future with other cars.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM
itburns

Originally Posted by socalsean
Nismo has other companies make their stuff so you're at risk just like everyone else.
I realize that, but the "badge of approval" is comforting. Nismo engineers will prolly run more tests on the Z with various parts than the manufacturers can afford to, and then select the best* ones to carry the Nismo badge. They got the big $$$ from Nissan to run thousands of hours of tests on their cars.

Therefore, I don't think I would be at the same risk by sticking with Nismo versus any other manufacturer for aftermarket parts. A lesser company with less rigid or strenuous or expensive quality control would simply duplicate the engineering specs for a specific part fitment. But, lacking the quality control, this lesser company fails time and time again to experience and resolve problems that only appear after hundreds or thousands of hours of testing. You need more than a good idea and a good fit and a pretty package and impressive performance numbers. It's simply a matter of how much money a company has to put into QC in order to retool a part's durability.

*in terms of a combination of reliability, quality, compatibility and performance.

Last edited by itburns; 07-07-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: A day at the Stoptech factory and test drive!