Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 08:59 AM
jmac48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool track tire pressures

I am planning on running my Z at Roebling Road track in August of this year and was wondering if the recommended pressures of 35 psi for everyday use, is called for. Roebling Road is in Savanna, Georgia so it will probably be high 80's to mid 90's ambient air temperature there. I think there are 8 or 9 turns on about a 2.5 mile course. Suggestions for tire pressures at the track?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-27-2005, 09:38 AM
roark

The right track tire pressure for any given vehicle depends on a lot of factors, including tire type, track conditions, and most importantly, driver style. If this is your first track event, and you have OEM tires, I'd suggest 31-32 psi cold for your first session, and chalk your tires. At the end of each session, inspect your chalk marks, and measure your air pressure to see how they're behaving. Rechalk your tires and reset your tire pressure before each run accordingly.

For example, if after your first run, you see that you are not using all the outer tread blocks (still a bit of chalk there) then just before your next run, set tire pressure a few lbs less than your first. If however, you see chalk getting scuffed over onto the sidewall, start the next session with a few more lbs.
Remember, however, that you will tend to get a bit more aggressive each session, so take that into consideration. Also keep in mind that the track will tend to warm up during the day. It takes quite a few track weekends to get comfortable with predicting how to set your tire pressures for a given session at a given event. Have fun!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:53 AM
The Black Z

I ran at 30PSI with 75degrees out. worked well, but I have BFgoodrich G-force KWD's.... I had fun at the track, plan on going when it opens up back up in 3 wks