Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little Current Insight on NISSAN by TXSTYLE...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:14 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A Little Current Insight on NISSAN by TXSTYLE...

NISSAN currently offers more "eye-catching" and more "performance oriented" products (including Infiniti of course) out of Japan... PERIOD! Anyone who can't or doesn't see that is obviously biased. Now I am a "AUTOMOBILE ENTHUSIAST" and I'm also a "BANG 4 THE BUCK" consumer. There is absolutely no question that no current manufacturer here or abroad is giving both of the TWO (2) things described above across the board or in such a broad range. Now let me repeat that for those who might try and take my words out of context: Damn near EVERY car maker out there has products described above, BUT not in such a broad range as Nissan/Infiniti. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Most power/performance and often times room, in the majority of it's competition in both cars & trucks!

Oh and by the way for my "fiscal peeps" out there trying to preach about Toyota and it's "financial prowess" ... not so fast:
Nissan maintained an operating margin of 10% for the year. That means that before taxes, Nissan makes 10 cents in profit for every $1 in sales. That number is currently the highest in the automobile industry, even beating its other Japanese competitors. Toyota Motor Corp.'s (7203.TO) profit margins are currently roughly 9% while Honda Motor Co. (7267.TO) weighs in at just under 8%.

Nissan posts record earnings!

Japanese automaker also unveils three-year plan to boost growth.
April 25, 2005: 6:52 AM EDT

TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Nissan Motor Co. (7201.TO), announcing record earnings for its fiscal year ended March 31, disclosed an ambitious new three-year plan that seeks to boost growth while establishing Nissan as one of the world's most financially disciplined car producers.

More intriguing information as to why NISSAN is waaaay on top of it's game: http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/25/news...nal/nissan.dj/

Ahhhhh... And what can I say about one of the GREATEST engines on EARTH that hasn't already been said:

Originally Posted by WARD'S AUTO WORLD
Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s sublime 3.5L “VQ” V-6 needs no introduction, being that it's won a 10 Best Engines award each and every year since the competition's inception in 1995. That the VQ has cemented itself as the dominant V-6 benchmark is without question — a decade after its introduction, the VQ, amazingly, remains the admitted development target of rivals who will discuss such details.

“No doubt about it, the Nissan V-6 is the 600-lb. gorilla of V-6s,” says a competing powertrain engineer. “No need to bring in a lot of different engines (for comparison), either. Power, torque, brake-specific fuel consumption, just about any attribute you're looking at, the Nissan's at the top of the list.”
Rarely has the industry seen such a seminal design. Equally extraordinary, subsequent generations have not lost the edge that made the original VQ variant, which displaced 3L, stand head and shoulders above its contemporaries.

Only now are competitors beginning to approach the alluring combination of power and refinement that have been VQ bywords since its launch. Continual upgrades and detail refinements have kept the VQ at the top of the heap, particularly in terms of power and torque. Honda's 3L V-6 — also a 10 Best Engines award winner for 2004 — surpasses some variants of Nissan's VQ in specific output, but the VQ's demonstrated flexibility means there are so many variants, in such a variety of vehicle applications, that the VQ's power and specific output figures now are widely spaced.

When the VQ was enlarged to 3.5L in 2002, its story became one not only of power and refinement, but torque as well. In almost any iteration, Nissan's VQ is a torque monster, and it generates a tidal wave of torque no other normally aspirated 6-cyl. can rival.

“The VQ absolutely hauls when you want it to,” says one Best Engines tester. “Still the best torque sensation all the way through the range.”

Indeed, one of the VQ's most notable attributes — apart from its precise, linear and crisp throttle response — is its brawny torque production at just about any rpm. The VQ V-6 is the stoutest V-6 around — but it's one of the most flexible, too. Regardless of what you ask of it, the VQ V-6 responds immediately. “There isn't a hitch or hole anywhere in the powerband. The VQ V-6 generates so much torque it seems there's always more than you need,” says another judge.

If power is the ultimate aphrodisiac, Nissan's VQ has given us all a decade's worth of satisfaction.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

awesome.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:46 PM
lane myers

no doubt.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:25 PM
longbowe

It's why we're all here, right?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:58 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...maybe I'll be the first to go out on a limb here. I work for a company that is a distributor for Toyota/Lexus/Scion and I get a decent discount when buying any of their vehicles. that aside, I ended up buying a Z for the same 2 reasons mentioned, decent performance and great looks. there was just nothing currently in the toyota/lexus lineup that you could really consider a sports car. I didn't even bother with the celica, the mr2 was just too small and underpowered and the is300 felt like any other sedan. now if the supra was still around I wouldn't have even given another car a thought. I would've gladly paid another 5-10G's more for a TT 2JZ 6spd Supra. that thing was engineered from top to bottom for speed....even the carpet was selectively choosen. and forget about trying to squeeze a couple horsepower out for a couple grand, you could easily free up 50-70 horses with a few bolt ons costing the same amount. now thats not to say that the VQ isn't a great engine, it definately is, and its also a great money saver for nissan since they use it in so many of their front-midship platform vehicles. but if your talking about performance in terms of power you won't see the VQ in most of nissan big power players like the skyline R34 GTR which uses the RB26DETT or the Silvia S15 which uses the SR20DET. the VQ is their meat and potatos engine. most tuner/race companies who want to optimize the Z for a specific racing venue end up pulling out the VQ in favor of either the RB or SR series engines. thats the genius thing about the FM platform....you can do engine swaps with so many of nissans other engines. as far as nissan being better financially than toyota...you better check your numbers. sure nissan just exceeded the 1 million mark for car sales in the US for 2004 and they also just hit 3.2 million sales globally. but does that 1% higher per dollar profit margin mean more than toyota's 2.27 million annual US car sales and 7.4 million annual global car sales? I agree that they definately don't have the most edgy looking vehicles nor do they have the highest power performance vehicles, but what they do have are some of the best selling, most reliable and egologically sound vehicles out there. toyota currently has the largest market share of the hottest selling segment of the automotive market which are hybrids. I could be wrong, but I don't think nissan even has a hybrid vehicle on deck. so from what I can tell more ppl are interested in reliable, ecological, high resale value vehicles......but thats just an opinion....
Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then why won't they give us an ecu fix?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:07 AM
longbowe

showstopper, nobody disputes Toyota's financial success. Where Nissan does well is in their profit margin. Toyota's profit margin is great, and with their volume, it's okay if the margin's a close second anyway. But the point was that Nissan is doing pretty well, and in terms of profit margin, it's spectacular. Of course, the whole Nissan package isn't for everybody, which is one reason volume's not as high as Toyota. But those who like the package are willing to pay for it. So there you go.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:48 AM
2003z

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
I could be wrong, but I don't think nissan even has a hybrid vehicle on deck. so from what I can tell more ppl are interested in reliable, ecological, high resale value vehicles......but thats just an opinion....
But they do. Alas, its a joint venture using toyota's system, but they do have a hybrid coming out in a year or 2.