THe Z is DEad

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:57 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

read this:

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

go down there.. be polite.. ask what happened to the motor and what the cause was?.. If they can't link a mod to the cracked block or don't make sense, tell them you are aware of the magnuson-moss act and to please reconsider.. if not then unfortunately you'll have to find a lawyer and build your case..

good luck,
--mike
Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 AM
350zbiturbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just read that and i called performance nissan of west palm beach, theyre gonna see if they want to handle it, do you guys know if insurance companys cover it b/c the mechanic said something bout me filing a claim that water got into my motor and they would cover it, does that make sense??
Old 06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Machupo

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
i just read that and i called performance nissan of west palm beach, theyre gonna see if they want to handle it, do you guys know if insurance companys cover it b/c the mechanic said something bout me filing a claim that water got into my motor and they would cover it, does that make sense??
that would only work if water actually got into the engine and hydrolocked it... otherwise you could be charged (and found guilty of) insurance fraud (and that's federal-pound-you-in-the-***-prison, not white-collar-resort-prison).

just make sure you get any diagnosis / writeups the dealer does in writing. start keeping records of EVERYTHING...

and like everyone is saying, they must specifically link a mod to the cause of engine failure. i'd lawyer up if I were you.

EDIT: A brand new shortblock is only $2500 or so and a new engine is only $5500 or so... make sure you get a complete list of all the problems the engine has (whether it's contained to the bottom end or if the heads are gone as well)... if fighting this legally is going to cost you more than that, you might as well just get the new engine (unless you're one of those "money means nothing when fighting for principles" types)

good luck!!!

Last edited by Machupo; 06-09-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Machupo
just make sure you get any diagnosis / writeups the dealer does in writing. start keeping records of EVERYTHING...
+1,000,000

Anytime someone tells you ANYTHING, get them to put it in writing on the service department's letterhead or stationary. Tell them if they aren't willing to do this, then what they're telling you is BS.

If water is the problem, to think that water could've gotten into the engine through a JWT popcharger, that would be very hard to prove. Unless it was somehow very wet before starting the car?

If they can pin it on one single mod, say the intake, then they must be able to show or explain how they know that the mod caused the failure. If they just generally blame it on "your mods" in general, that's when you know you have a good case against them. A lawyer could definitely help in any case. Don't THREATEN legal action to the dealership. What you do is TRY TO WORK IT OUT yourself, and if they aren't cooperating, just get a lawyer to do the talking.

And what is your insurance company doing about all this?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

EDIT: A brand new shortblock is only $2500 or so and a new engine is only $5500 or so...
That can't be including installation / labor... is it?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:41 AM
JisNis

keep us updated
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Machupo

Originally Posted by Z2000Maximaguy
That can't be including installation / labor... is it?
nope, that's just parts...

figure about $1k for installation of a shortblock a maybe a little cheaper for the longblock (no tear-down / accessory PITA to deal with).

as to a Popcharger swallowing enough water to cause hydrolock... that's absurd... you'd either have to drive through Hurricane Andrew or submerge the Z up to the top of the headlight housing (because unlike CAI's and the stock intake, the pop charger is all the way to the top of the engine bay)... not to mention that you would have to submerge the pop-charger to get hydrolock at any rate (complete column of water replaces the column of air... anyone who's put SeaFoam in their car (or some other engine cleaner) by using the intake manifold vacuum port knows that it take a crapload of liquid to drown an engine).
Old 06-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

nope, that's just parts...

figure about $1k for installation of a shortblock a maybe a little cheaper for the longblock (no tear-down / accessory PITA to deal with).

as to a Popcharger swallowing enough water to cause hydrolock... that's absurd... you'd either have to drive through Hurricane Andrew or submerge the Z up to the top of the headlight housing (because unlike CAI's and the stock intake, the pop charger is all the way to the top of the engine bay)... not to mention that you would have to submerge the pop-charger to get hydrolock at any rate (complete column of water replaces the column of air... anyone who's put SeaFoam in their car (or some other engine cleaner) by using the intake manifold vacuum port knows that it take a crapload of liquid to drown an engine).
Yeah, I know it's absurd, that's why I think he has a case. If they think it's water in the engine, the intake would be the first place water could come in.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
pimp1911

He has a popcharger. Unless he drove his Z into the Gulf of Mexico and backed it out of the ocean. I dont see how water got in his engine.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Machupo

lol, i think we're all agreeing here -- basic story, don't take BS from the dealer, if they can't give you a real reason as to why your mods caused the engine to break, they should replace it
Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 PM
BigMike

Plus, all of the mods he has on his car are offered as Nismo parts except the pop charger. But the Nismo CAI has a bigger chance of sucking water into the engine that a pop charger. They will need to show explicit evidence if they're trying to say its because of the pop charger.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Do a search for the word "modification"
http://www.nissanusa.com/m/cma/i/200/2004_Wrnty.pdf

The first reference does say:
Do not cover Fialure directly as a result of misuse, accident or modifcation.

Second Reference:
Owner's warranty responsibilities: you should also be aware that Nissan may deny you warranty coverage if your vehical or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.
They fail to qualify what an unapproved modification is though.

I would agree that you've got a fight on your hands if the dealership won't approve it. You need to get on the phone with Nissan HQ if your lawyer doesn't scare the dealership into submission.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 PM
captj3

Talk with mike at palm beach performance see if he can do anything for you.They are located across from the main dealership behind the toyota used car dealership on military and sunny lane.Good luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
JisNis

I would have taken off my mods. No need to give dealerships a reason to void your warranty. Although I know the cost of labor for taking off ur mods is expensive. Im sure its cheaper than replacing your block w/ labor.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Paul_BB_Guy
Do a search for the word "modification"
http://www.nissanusa.com/m/cma/i/200/2004_Wrnty.pdf

The first reference does say:
Do not cover Fialure directly as a result of misuse, accident or modifcation.

Second Reference:
Owner's warranty responsibilities: you should also be aware that Nissan may deny you warranty coverage if your vehical or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.
They fail to qualify what an unapproved modification is though.

I would agree that you've got a fight on your hands if the dealership won't approve it. You need to get on the phone with Nissan HQ if your lawyer doesn't scare the dealership into submission.
The point is, they can SAY whatever they want to in their "warranty" but the LAW is the mod must be shown to have caused the problem.

Law > warranty.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Kray Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us informed but this is a great case for the moss magnason. If it were me i would be the one that money doesn't matter its all about principal.

Get the lawyer figure out all the costs of going both ways buying a new engine or fighting.
Prior to that I know you'll do your best to work it out with the dealer. Honestly in a case like this what dealer wouldn't try the void mod warranty BS especially on a younger individual. Its only the begining
Old 06-09-2005, 06:17 PM
JRinTXrog

There has been a lot of talk about what if. The main question is, what happened?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:21 PM
350zbiturbo

im gonna give you guys a update tomm im going into the dealer, with a paper explaining the magnusson law, anything they say i will try and get on paper, but knowing them they wont put anything on paper b/c they know they are wrong, i will have more info for you guys tomm afternoon so get ready the fight begins tomm and i know its not going to be a fun one, ive got 2 lawyers one to start the fight and one just in case it gets to court, theirs no water for sure i honestly think my oil pump or something failed, but lets see what they say but i called performance nissan and they said to call back tomm also and see if they can ttake the car thats all mike could do for me, hes gonna see if the service manager will say yes to bringing my car over there and taking care of me but i got a feeling the guy is not going to want too so let the games begin, everyone cross their fingers i choose not to lose this one, and i am basically fighting for everyone that ever has a future problem so wish my luck guys pray if you have too i dont care but wish me luck thanx guys for everything keep posting thanx
Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by leemik
read this:

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

go down there.. be polite.. ask what happened to the motor and what the cause was?.. If they can't link a mod to the cracked block or don't make sense, tell them you are aware of the magnuson-moss act and to please reconsider.. if not then unfortunately you'll have to find a lawyer and build your case..

good luck,
--mike

+1....also mention that you are a member of all the 350z boards and you are posting this as it unfolds. Let know if they don't cover the warranty that they are going to lose a lot of business.....word travels fast on the internet.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:31 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

~crossing fingers for ya~

Quick Reply: THe Z is DEad