Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

THe Z is DEad

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:56 AM
nicolaycastro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well IMO if you park in front of the dealer with a with a blown engine in a 350z, people would hesitate to buy, I know I would. May be it hasnt even being reported to nissan, sometimes dealers just dont want to deal with warranty jobs.

For instance in my regular dealer, they wouldnt change my feathered tires, they would find excuses everywhere, they even gave me the same **** abut my rear tires being all worn. I went to another dealer I just bearly said feather and they order new tires.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:09 AM
BigMike

Default Engine Price

Just for grins, I sent off a query to a used parts dealer in NY. They sourced a 350Z engine from a car that had 20k miles on it. I gave them a build date of 04/04. The price is $3650 delivered to Miami, FL.

I'd estimate $200 in misc parts, gaskets, etc., and maybe $800-$1000 labor on the swap. That's just my guess though.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:03 AM
350zbiturbo

thats awesome how do you source that, I def and going to have to consider that, 3650 really isnt that bad and my mechanic will install it for around 600 to 1000 so, thank you very very much for that might need that, Alot of people were asking this earlier but they did contact nissan and it is on file thats why it wouldnt do me any good to move it to another dealership. The lady i talked to at nissan says she will be faxing me a letter stating why nissan voided my warranty, when i get that i will scan it if my scanner doesnt crap out and post it up hopefully thatll give me an edge on something. Oh this nissan i thought was mod friendly but I mean they just str8 out took pictures of all my mods and didnt even bother explaining the warranty work they had done theyre previously on my car with my mods.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:07 AM
350zbiturbo

by the way guys just for a fun fact how much crap the dealer talks, dont remember if i have mentioned this but the service manager told my dad that my transmissions were going b/c of my mods but the idiot doesnt realize that the car had 500 miles on it and was BONE STOCK when the first tranny went so thats just so you guys know how full of it they are
Old 06-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Qbrozen

I agree with a previous post. They HAVE to PROVE that your mods caused the failure. The burden is not on you, its on them! Do not let them do this to you and force you to fix it yourself! Looking at your mod list, I don't know what they could possibly accuse of causing this. As far as the engine goes, you have an intake, exhaust, and flywheel. None of those would do jack.

I would definitely offer to pay for the teardown .... BUT, I would be paranoid that they would fudge the answers .... maybe another dealer that seems sympathetic... maybe one from this board.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:22 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
by the way guys just for a fun fact how much crap the dealer talks, dont remember if i have mentioned this but the service manager told my dad that my transmissions were going b/c of my mods but the idiot doesnt realize that the car had 500 miles on it and was BONE STOCK when the first tranny went so thats just so you guys know how full of it they are
You have pm.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:19 AM
PureXTZ

I don't understand how the dealer wouldn't be pressurized in to doing anything on the car if it's been sitting they're affecting sales. I would imagine the district service manager would easily approve of doing the tear down and replacement (if not due to mods) of a new motor when the dealer starts complaining about the loss of sales. People would hesitate to buy anything they know wouldn't last past warranty. We already know it's oil starvation that killed your motor. Now you just need to convince the dealer to find out what caused it instead of them coping out.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 AM
BigMike

Default Engine Sources and Prices

The place I got the price for $3650 is Premier Parts Locator (877) 231-9908

I just had a voice mail from another place in Texas. He has an 04 350Z engine with a 1000 miles on it and a 6 month warranty for $3k but there is probably shipping.
Call Chico Garica at Dakota Auto Parts in Grand Prarie Texas (800) 460-2787 (214) 876-2861 (cell)
Old 06-14-2005, 03:53 PM
dvines

Default Tranny too?...

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
You mean this same car has also been through 1 or more trannies? This will not look good in your case. Or maybe it will further prove that you may have received a real lemon of a Z.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:06 PM
joust75

*subscribing*

go get em man!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:39 PM
VTECHURT

If your on the second tranny then the dealer may be extra sketchy... One expensive warranty claim is normally not an issue for most decent dealers... A return customer raises a flag...

1)solid documentation
2)progressive outlook
3)research
4)HONESTY (if your in the right, just keep pushing)
5)Professional attitude

All of these things will get you through this... and in the end, it's just a car. This situation will not ruin your life, you will learn a lot though... I'm a young guy still, 27.. and I am a true believer that if you want a faster car, buy a faster car unless you can afford to replace whatever may come about... First rule of racing... The car must be 100% expendable. Keep your chin up, be steadfast.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:12 AM
350zbiturbo

im calling the rep again today b/c she left a message on my fone saying she was sending the fax saying what voided my warranty, heres my question for you guys, im gonna call her today should I suggest to her that look i understand your voiding the warranty, should i ask for her to tear down the motor and see what really caused the problem, or just wait for an answer from them, im thinking ill ask her to tear down the motor and if it is something of my fault ill pay for the tear down but if its not they cover it and that is it, so should I ask her for a tear down or no, if any wants to throw out exactly how i should word it that would be nice too
Old 06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
350zbiturbo

Ok guys here it is the letter i feel you should all read it bear with me as i type the full thing:

Dear Mr. Quintana:

Thank you for allowing us an opportunity to review your conerns regarding your 2004 Nissan 350z.

Nissan realizes situations occur with your Nissan vehicle that unfortunately fall outside of the parameters of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty provided with your vehicle. As a company interested in winning lifetime customers, Nissan apologizes for any inconveniences that you may have experienced and we are pleased you took the time to contact us regarding your situation.

A Nissan dealer conducted a detailed inspection of your 2004 350z and found evidence of misuse and modification. As Nissan determined that the cause of failure was not due to a manufactoring defect but rather the result of misuse and modification, the repair to the engine is not covered under warranty.

If you believe NIssan has still been unable to satisfactorily address the issue with your vehicle, Nissan participates in a special automotive third party complaint resolution program called Auto Line. The Auto Line program is independently operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.; 4200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite #800; Arlington, VA 22203-1838, or you may call at 1800-955-5100. Additional information can be found in either your New Vehicle Limited Warranty Booklet or the Supplement to the New Vehicle Warranty Information Booklet.

We realize this may not be the answer you were looking for bt hope you understand our position.

Sincerely,

Michelle Ogawa
Consumer Relations Representative
Nissan Consumer Affairs
Old 06-15-2005, 02:04 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at least they've spelled out the next step for you. Work the process. Good luck man. Get familiar with Magnusson-Moss and prepare to pay for further inspection.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a lawyer to ask "which mod caused the failure." Clearly they have not met their burden of proof, and you are still in the right side of the law.

If they cannot answer the above question, you should win the case.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
350zbiturbo

cant they say like all of the mods caused it and if they say which mod caused it should i get a lawyer to fight it further?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
350zbiturbo

or if they saw that that mod caused it, is this the time for me to ask for them to prove that that specific mod made the motor blow?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

they said they found "evidence" of misuse...

Like what, dirty oil? Burnt clutch? If they had real evidence, they could be more specific don't you think?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:42 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z2000Maximaguy
they said they found "evidence" of misuse...

Like what, dirty oil? Burnt clutch? If they had real evidence, they could be more specific don't you think?
I would think they are required to be. When you're talking about denying a customer thousands of dollars worth of coverage, they should be obligated to state that "based on the following findings during physical inspection of the engine, it has been determined that the failure was not due to Manufacturing defect on the part of Nissan. 1) Brake fluid was used in place of engine-oil. 2) The ECU recorded an air/fuel ratio in excess of 47:1, which is a condition not possible with factory provided components...etc.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:15 PM
nicolaycastro

Yeah and how did they even come with that answer if they didnt even take appart the engine.

Quick Reply: THe Z is DEad