Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

s2k vs the Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:24 AM
Juno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Miata before my Z, so naturally I considered an S2000 when it was time to trade it in. The Z won hands down. To me, the S2000 felt like a slightly bigger Miata, and I liked the Miata's interior better. The Vtec is fun, but I like having power whenever I want it instead of having to rev my car like crazy. So for me, no regrets with the Z.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 AM
cobrasak

ive had both cars, first i had a track z for a year and traded that in for a 03 s2k, and never looked back. I liked the z for what it was but i love the s2k even more so. The quality is a lot better, a lot less problems and i feel like i am driving a race car with this car opposed to a sedan type feel of the z. Thats just mainly due to the bigger size of the z. Also the s2k may feel slow at some points, but take it around some twisties and open her up with the top down, there is not a feeling like it short of a ferrari. If you are looking for a power monster though this car is not for you, this is more of a drivers involvment car if that makes any sense. The one thing i did love about the z is the fact that you can put huge rims on there
Old 06-30-2005, 10:14 AM
ocbeta

How can the s2000 be less common than the z? I think they are about the same.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
daede

Originally Posted by ocbeta
Last I heard, they only produce roughly 4500 S2000's a year.

Having owned an S2000 and now currently owning a Z, if you could take the shifter, the high RPMs, the handling, and the weight of the S2000 and put it into the Z, you'd have the perfect car, IMHO.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:42 PM
coo69foo

all this stuff ! makes it hard to choose the car want now haha... both cars are great cars... i enjoy the s2k... and the Z has its ups doo. i love that xtra torque an power in the low rpms.. and then i love the high revin V tec on the s2000... damnn haha ...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
King56

Damn, seems like most people who consider 350's look at S2k's too, I was about 60/40 towards the s2k when I bought my Z, ended up with the Z though. I love both cars, just didn't want to deal with the whole convertible/roadster thing I guess.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I was either going to get an S2k or MR2 spyder. Both were underpower so both would have been boosted within one month or I would go nuts for SUVs passing me. I never even considered a Z. Then the roadsters came out and test drove one and never looked back.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by ocbeta
S2k is only available in manual. And we all know automatics sell more to the common public.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 PM
cobrasak

ya i think there have only been 30k s2ks sold in the past 5 years maybe less, compared to the z's numbers which was in one year
Old 06-30-2005, 03:22 PM
NeoRacer_106

Man your lucky, I swear when girls see mine coming from a distance, they turn away and pretend their doin something (nothing) happens all the time..never had a woman say much about my Z..

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Where I live, S2K are everywhere. When I first saw them, I thought they were just another new generation miatas and quickly looked away. I won't go into performance because I believe they are even and it's all about the drivers. So I'll just go to the looks...

I have a Lemans sunset and man, does it ever get attention. This car is a chick magnet. My co-worker has a S2K and when we go for lunch in his car, we get no reactions. When we go in my car, we get:

1. cat calls from girls
2. "holy ****", and "Sweet car!", etc. comments from guys.
3. The lingering stares.
4. The Head following looks.
5. The many questions at the stop lights.
6. The looks from all sides when you are in front at intersections.
9. The shark-like way cars swim around you to look at your car.
10. The awsome feeling you get when the girlfriend of a guy in an M3, etc. is staring at your car while her boyfriend driver is trying hard not to look like he saw you (lol).
11. And guys, all you Z owners should know by now, the awe that you feel the people have when you do a left turn in a big intersection, when all cars feel like they stopped to see you parade yourself by them. Guys, I don't know if it's the Leman's Sunset paint job or what, but If you want attention, It's the Z. Let's give it up for this awesome car
Old 06-30-2005, 06:36 PM
ZRA

Cool

I love the exotic lines of the Z. That's just one of the things that sold me.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:54 AM
krgs2k

I own both, a 01 s2k and a 04z. They are totally different cars. If you want a fast car with a better ride pick the z. If you want a fast car with a racecar feel pick the s.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 PM
sna66

go for the Z, i had an acura before and the lack of low end really sucked, well i dunno about the s2k being rwd if it makes a difference but if u gonna get the s2k think about getting FI
Old 07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
coo69foo

Originally Posted by krgs2k
I own both, a 01 s2k and a 04z. They are totally different cars. If you want a fast car with a better ride pick the z. If you want a fast car with a racecar feel pick the s.
definitly the s2k feels more like a race car feeel.... the high rpms takin it too vtec in first an then continuein through all the gears is awesome.. espicially wit the top down on a nice day.. on a windy road!!!... i need too test drive the Z alil more...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
rickyj59

I too was set on the Z when I saw an Edmunds.com review stating the S2000 was an editors choice and consumers choice for sports car. I had never heard of an S2000 before this review. So I thought I better test drive the S2000 which I did (new 2005). The minute I got in I felt very cramped. I was not that impressed with the low end torque. If you were going to take this car on a long trip it would not be user friendly. I settled on the Z and have never looked back. Check out some of the test drive info on Edmunds.com and other sites.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this video out of this s2000 getting smoked, this might help you make a decision:

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....D7450&kw=9&p=8
Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 PM
imoz

Check out the Best Motoring video "The 350Z Shock".
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/best...e_350_z_shock/

Old 07-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Zmeflyby

They are both great cars, but where I used to live, there were a lot of hills. So, having a 4 cycl car would have required me to downshift on a daily basis.
I know one thing for sure, you sure cant get 50 hp from the Z just by screaming vtec.
In the s2000, you can scream vtec to get power, and you wont look dumb.
haha
just playing.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:38 AM
krgs2k

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Check this video out of this s2000 getting smoked, this might help you make a decision:

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....D7450&kw=9&p=8
Does the guy in the s know what vtec is? I don't think so. This video only shows the driver sucks.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Speedracer

Default Here's what you want to know......

Originally Posted by coo69foo
hey guys.. i m new to this forum... and i m doing research to find out if the Z is for me... right now for me its between the s2k and the Z... i have test drove both cars i am pleasee with the s2k... and the high revin engine siince i m used too driving hondas.. i was impressed with the Z too... but theres someting bout it.. i dunno maybe i need to test drive it again.. for some reason.. The Z felt alot heavier an alil slow.. but i coula not drove it right either.. i really feel like i need too test drive it again.. the s2k i had more fun with.. feels allot lighter an quick up in the high revs... con for that car is.. it dont come alive until after 3k revs... now i m jus relaly confused haha... but it seems like the Z is definitly worth it for that price compared to the s2k... which car would haul alot more ***.. an out handle eachother if they was to be side by side? n e help in makin my dicision would be great full.. n e of u Z owners raced s2k owners? or driven both cars..? aiite n e help would be great thanks!
First, keep in mind you are talking to people who bought the Z, and I'm sure some of them looked at the S. Also, I don't think comparing the Z coupe to the S2000 is completely valid. Open air driving has a thrill of it's own. That being said, I chose my Z roadster over an S2000. I have driven both extensively.

The S2000 is an absolute blast to drive. In stock form, it feels better and more agile than the Z in the handling department, the engine feels smoother. The gearbox is very slick, but I actually like the Z's better (more on that later)

here is why I chose the Z:

1. Looks. The Z roadster is simply drop-dead gorgeous. It has an ultra-modern unique sprots car design. I have never seen a car that turns heads like this car does. Side to side with the Z roadster, the S2000 looks like an econo-box.

2. Seats. The most comfortable and supportive seats of any car I've been in, and slightly better than the S2000.

3. Wind Noise/engine noise. This is a big one. After about 30 minutes at any kind cruising speed, the S2000 began to get painful to my ears. Both wind noise and engine buzz were bordering on intolerable. Sure you can put up the side windows, but then you lose some of the convertible fun. Wind management is FAR SUPERIOR in the Z roadster.

4. Torque.

5. Mod potential-much better in the Z and with a few tweaks the handling of the Z will surpass the S2000. The S2000 can be made to handle better, but the ride will be very punishing if you do this. They already had to soften the rear suspension from 2003 to 2004. With the Nismo suspension, sway bars, wheels and upgraded tires, the Z becomes a handling monster, while sacrificing almost nothing in terms of ride quality. With a grounding kit ($80), the Z motor feels as smooth as an S.

6. Comforts. the Z is a bit more of a real car in this regard. Power seats. Home-link. NAV. Heated seats for top-down driving in cooler weather, better interior storage space, all make for a better real driver.

7. Gearbox. As slick as the S2000's shifter is, it feels too light and "game-like" for my taste. I love the slightly heavier, mechanical feel of the Z shifter. The throws are still very short and I like the stubbier feel of the shifter.

You have to decide, ultimately, what you want the car for. If you don't take long trips, or do much highway driving, and have no interest in modding, and like the looks of the S2000, it is a great car to be sure, but the Z roadster is more of a real car, is a super head turner, far superior on long trips, will hold much better resale value, and is much more exclusive in terms of production numbers. It can also be EASILY modded with common parts to out perform the S2000. My advice, however, if to first decide whether of not you want a convertible, then go from there.

Last edited by Speedracer; 07-02-2005 at 05:02 AM.

Quick Reply: s2k vs the Z