Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan Mechanics are Idiots!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 PM
kangol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Mechanics are Idiots!!

So I went to get my tires rotated today at the dealership where I bought my car and well, they rotated them alright......without Dismounted the tires!!! Now I have my rear tires with a 235/50/17 on the front and 225/50/17's on the rear!! Must be they've never heard of a 350z because I do believe all of them have wider rear tires.. what a bunch of morons.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 PM
nicolaycastro

the weird thing about this is that in the front there is a bolt (or a little pice of metal) that wont let you fit the rear tires on the front.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:29 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I would be VERY interested to see if they drilled out your rear wheels or removed the bolt to even be able to put the rears on the front.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Jaki

Did they replace it back?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

What's really idiotic is to imply that Nissan mechanics are idiots. While dealerships typically charge more for repairs, most Nissan techs are highly trained pros who understand complex systems and how they function. They do things everyday that the average shade tree mechanic can't come close to accomplishing.

Having said that, could it be that your dealership assigned the detail guy (or girl) to swap your wheels/tires? It's typical to assign those tasks to helpers in the shop that don't make a tech's salary. It's a dumb mistake and while they do happen, most dealerships will take care of them ASAP and give you a bonus for it. BTW- one of our members here in Colorado had the same thing happen when he took his Z to a local tire store. They also made good on their error (swapped wheels properly, refunded money and gave complimentary work in the future). Did you talk with the service manager? What did the dealership do in your case?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Bottom

Quick question, if you have a Touring, why do you have 17" wheels and tires?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Bottom
Quick question, if you have a Touring, why do you have 17" wheels and tires?
It must be an AT.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 AM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Originally Posted by dkmura
What's really idiotic is to imply that Nissan mechanics are idiots. While dealerships typically charge more for repairs, most Nissan techs are highly trained pros who understand complex systems and how they function. They do things everyday that the average shade tree mechanic can't come close to accomplishing.
+1

Really depends on the dealership. My experience with my dealership has been
positive from day 1. I'm also considering having them install my new exhaust
system after I purchase it. Makes sense since if something goes wrong I can
b*tch at them and if I'm not happy I can call Nissan NA. Sure, you will always
find a bad apple in the bunch, but I would say to search for a better dealership
if you aren't happy with your existing one. I know after purchasing our Honda
Odyssey from our initial dealer, we vowed never to go there again. So we are
just going to have it serviced at a different Honda dealership.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Bottom

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yobri
It must be an AT.
Cool thanks, I really had no idea that the automatics came with the 17" for touring. Learn something new everyday. I have a 6 speed Touring and I just assumed that they'd share the same type of wheels. Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:05 AM
TChachas

Sorry to hear about that, they do sound like a bunch of morons. I think it really depends on what dealership you go to. I know of some places in SoCal that I refuse to go to whereas I also know of some where I think they are the best.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:57 AM
kangol99

Originally Posted by Bottom
Cool thanks, I really had no idea that the automatics came with the 17" for touring. Learn something new everyday. I have a 6 speed Touring and I just assumed that they'd share the same type of wheels. Thanks again for the info.

For 2005 the touring models come with 17's standard and the only other option was chrome 18's for an extra 1500 bucks. I don't mind the 17's since I'll be upgrading to aftermarket 19's.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
kangol99

Originally Posted by Jaki
Did they replace it back?

Yeah they did put it back to normal. They were very embarassed about the whole thing
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the biggest problems is that dealerships put the new and inexperienced techs on "simple" jobs like oil changes, tire changes, etc. Unfortunately, my three encounters with my dealer have all involved oil changes and tires and they've manager to screw up all three times.

1) Oil change and inspection. Following morning, TPS warning goes off. Tech lowered pressure to 30psi in hot tire. Next morning it's down below 28psi - off goes the warning. BTW, the recommended pressure is 35psi.

2) Front tire swap to "fix" feathering. Both front wheels scratched.

3) Oil change. Tech can't get very hot NISMO cap off. Another one comes over with pliers to remove it. Scratches aluminum part of cap, tears protective covering on NISMO label when pliers slip off. Dealer owes me a new NIAMO cap.

The tech also asks ME what the tire pressure should be. I felt like telling him to step away from my car. If he didn't know to look on the door jam to find the recommended pressure or look it up on the computer, then maybe he doesn't need to be doing such high-tech, critical work like oil changes and tire pressure checks.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya Dave...seems a bit ridiculous that anyone working on cars doesn't have a least an interest in what they do from an enthusiast perspective to me. I guess to many people out there, it's just another job. If a dealership can't find anyone remotely interested in cars for these positions then they should at least train them in the basics.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
IM Z MAN

As a Nissan tech myself, who has almost 9 years of Nissan experience, I take offense to the fact that you imply all Nissan techs are idiots. I don't consider myself to be an idiot nor do I think that of the other techs I work with. We have all been well trained in the Nissan product line and know what we are doing. Some dealerships do have quick lube techs that get most of the smaller jobs but the other techs usually check over the work. Sometimes we are just to busy to check every car though. A bad experience on something so minor should not warrant a comment like that. I don't know what you do but I'd be willing to bet you've made a mistake or two at some point. I doubt that people post that everyone with your job is an idiot for it. You completely have the right to complain all you want but please don't imply that we are all idiots.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:57 PM
jackwhale

I've had positive experience with the work done at my dealer also. Service manager at Concord Nissan is haughty and rude so I don't know much about their techs.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Paris

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

The tech also asks ME what the tire pressure should be. I felt like telling him to step away from my car. If he didn't know to look on the door jam to find the recommended pressure or look it up on the computer, then maybe he doesn't need to be doing such high-tech, critical work like oil changes and tire pressure checks.
Sounds to me like the tech was being courteous. You do own a sports car and depending on how you would like your car to grip the road tire pressure counts. Factory recomended tire pressure is for max legnth of tire life most comfortable ride {safety is a given 50psi in a 35psi max is a no no). So if you ever go to the drag strip or track I wouldnt recommend going with a factory number because is written on your door.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I doubt he was being courteous. I think he was more concerned that I was watching him the whole time.

If I had aftermarket wheels or non-factory tires, then I could see him asking about tire pressures. Since everything was OEM, he, like me should be following the recommended settings.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've had similar problems on my first service at my dealership.

-Tire pressure was 29psi.
-Wheel nuts where impact torqued to 200lb.
-Oil drain plug and filter where supah tight.
-Car was washed and left dripping in the sun.

Wrote a nice letter to the service manager when they sent their service survey.

Never heard anything from them since...
Old 06-30-2005, 07:10 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Yup. I dinged them on the satisfaction survey and wrote a letter to the service manager and never heard a word on either account. I wrote another letter after last weeks bungle to the new service manager. I give it a week and see if anything comes of it before I raise a stink. What's funny is that they send out a nice form letter after each visit inviting you to let them know how they did. From the way it appears so far, they don't really care about what your experience was, they just want you to feel free to let them know about it.

Quick Reply: Nissan Mechanics are Idiots!!