Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 08:44 PM
HighwaySpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy An '06 Z!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:58 AM
ryanhartnett

I think those mustangs look pretty cool. Different strokes for different folks.

However, I have to add that you had to know the answer to this question before you posted it when you logged onto a Z site and asked this question?

I wonder that those guys/gals over in the mustang forum (wherever it may be) would say if you asked them? nuk nuk
Old 07-05-2005, 08:12 AM
arlingtonz

Originally Posted by itburns
If you buy a Mustang, just remember to disconnect the cruise control. You don't want your new investment to spontaneously go up in flames when it's parked in your garage.

That might be the funniest thing i have ever read on this board!
Old 07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Fletch69z

I definitely vote for Nissan. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, it's nicer, handles better and will definitely last longer.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 AM
DSGMach714

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
I definitely vote for Nissan. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, it's nicer, handles better and will definitely last longer.
Are we still perpetuating this myth today? American cars if serviced correctly will be just as reliable and/or last as long as a Japanese car. The 4.6 motor is a solid motor used in police and taxi cabs, the Mustang's is a bit more tuned for performance but those motors are rock solid. I've owned 2 4.6 equip'd Mustangs and never had one problem nor have it spill one drop of oil.

Both are great cars, however Mustangs will be everywhere. Already I see more 05 stangs than the Z.

Mustang - 4 seats (I am missing 4 seats about now), more power and torque, exhaust note and rumble of a V8, decent looks, easy to mod for big power (a mere tune is giving these cars near 290-300 RWHP), fun cars to drive with gobs of pavement ripping torque. American icon.

Z - More refined and sophisticated, more attention from others (good and bad), better handling out of the box, decent power but feels kinda anemic after my Mach 1, fit and finish is better, resale value is much higher.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
RPM_204

Originally Posted by DSGMach714
Are we still perpetuating this myth today? American cars if serviced correctly will be just as reliable and/or last as long as a Japanese car.
It's not a myth, it's fact. That's not to say that certain domestic cars aren't reliable, but it's foolish and ignorant to say that they would be equal in reliability to Japanese built cars. Take a look at any of the reputable sources and you'll see that there is still a decent gap in quality/reliability between import and domestic vehicles. Again, this isn't referring to all domestic vehicles, and the Stangs actually seem to be one of them that hold up well especially considering how most of them are treated.

As for the topic at hand, my vote goes to the Z. I just couldn't stand coming across the same car at every second traffic light...
Old 07-05-2005, 09:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think if you take care of a car, no matter what it is, it'll run well. This means some basic car knowledge and regular oil and fluid changes etc

Otherwise, the mustang will be a better drag car and easier to mod - as in you'll get better gains for your money as far as NA

it'll never handle like the Z, but the Z will never launch as hard as a mustang with a solid rear axel

Z is a little more exclusive and expensive

some think the Z looks exotic, like a porsche, like a cheap porsche wannabe, all show and no go, looks boring, looks really fast, think 350Z owners are arrogant, think the Z owner is rich, etc

some think the 05 mustang looks awesome, tough, vintage, common, unoriginal, boring, think the driver is a redneck/has a mullet, thinks owners are street tough blue collar americans, etc

those are your general stereotypes anyway....
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive owned both, a 2001 ford SVT cobra and now an 05 Z. Get the Z hands down. No matter what you want the Z outdoes ford. If you want power then you want a capable suspension to put the power down right? Not with ford you get the same old 70s solid rear axle (yes solid rear will do better in a smooth drag racing environment but anywhere else it loses big time). Want a car that looks common as hell 2 months out of being brand new? Mustangs will do it everytime. Yeah its cheap to mod, so? Better hope you live in a place with no turns bc everyone and their dog will be passing you as your crapstang slides and bites all over the place. The only thing i would give the stang is engine sound, nothing beats a throaty V8. I can also go on and on about how ford vehicles are just plain cheap. Oh and dont even get me started on resale lol. Look at a 1990 TT Z and compare it to a 1997 mustang GT, they arent too far apart in resale are they? Ford will undercut the proice of your new car by 5 grand in a year to move more units, you will lose your behind big time with the stang. Also ford ALWAYS screws its owners with yearly power increases in its sports cars so odds are you wont have your car 1 year before someone who paid less than you is driving a faster version of your own car lol. Save yourself and buy the Z, hell just test drive the two its as easy as that. Oh and yes i know my car had an indepenent rear suspension but ive driven stangs all my life until i could afford better.

Last edited by gatti-man; 07-05-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

v6 mustang easy, lighter car so you can out handle a Z without much trouble
Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
350fairladyZ

V6 mustangs are a discrase to the mustang culture and the only mustang i would ever think of getting is there highest model the SVT Mustang Cobra. My brother raced a mustang V6 in his RSX and he actually killed it i could have been running and beat it it was that slow. And i was an extra passenger in his car too. Overall 350z's are ALOT more impressive becasue your making almost as much horsepower as a stock mustang GT V8 in a V6
Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
zownz

Originally Posted by Peteman
I think thats a pretty silly statement. The current Mustang uses just about all the modern features present on the Z.
Oh does it really, explain a v6 300hp vs a v8 300+??
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 AM
King56

If you have to go with the mustang, wait til the 06 comes out, Almost every first year/first gen car has issues. Wait 'til any kinks get worked out.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by DSGMach714
Are we still perpetuating this myth today? American cars if serviced correctly will be just as reliable and/or last as long as a Japanese car. The 4.6 motor is a solid motor used in police and taxi cabs, the Mustang's is a bit more tuned for performance but those motors are rock solid. I've owned 2 4.6 equip'd Mustangs and never had one problem nor have it spill one drop of oil.

Both are great cars, however Mustangs will be everywhere. Already I see more 05 stangs than the Z.

Mustang - 4 seats (I am missing 4 seats about now), more power and torque, exhaust note and rumble of a V8, decent looks, easy to mod for big power (a mere tune is giving these cars near 290-300 RWHP), fun cars to drive with gobs of pavement ripping torque. American icon.

Z - More refined and sophisticated, more attention from others (good and bad), better handling out of the box, decent power but feels kinda anemic after my Mach 1, fit and finish is better, resale value is much higher.
I'm sorry, it's not a myth. I've seen and owned several Fords and the product is much cheaper and less reliable than any Japanese cars I've ever owned. I've owned a Pontiac and a Dodge as well and when I bought my first Japanese car (Spec V) it ran circles around all the rest I've ever owned quality wise, fun wise and performance wise. There just wasn't a comparison. Just after owning it for 1 and a half years I was sold on Nissan and have become a die hard Nissan fan. That's how good the product is. It makes you excited everytime you walk out and get behind the wheel of your car. And that's why I own a Z.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mc350z
being that i have both i would have to say Z hands down!

ive had the mustang since january and ive put about 3k miles on it so far , so i ve got a pretty good feel for it

their is no comparison in the build quality or handling! and if you like the Z interior the 06 looks even better. the interior of my mustang is ok i mean the retro look is neat but everything feels too blocky and made with cheap materials(thats how ford puts you in a 300hp car for 25K).

i havent raced the mustang like i have the Z or C6 but while it does handle fairly good the Z just feels nimble and nuetral in all situations. the mustang does feel heavy and even with the improvments its still got body roll

now off the line its really fast and fun(although the 1/8mile times i turned in with it wernt any better than my s-tune Z)

so really it depends if you want a muscle car or a sports car. while im happy to be able to drive both i wouldnt take the mustang and $5K for my beloved Z

if you have any specific questions about the 2 let me know
I have been waiting for your review. Thanks for the update !!

(mc350z owns a Vette, Z, AND a 05 Mustang)
Old 07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
s3fddiZ

Just sit and think about what you want out of a car. Torque and oggles from teenagers, or handles and oggles from most other people. The stang will lose value fast, but you dont buy a car to make money. The Z feels and looks alot nicer on the inside, but if you want a race car, that shouldnt matter. I have had a 66 stang, a 97 v6, and an 05 GT (and my crappy 03 civic). The Z is by far the most fun to drive. Go drive both, see which feels better, which one you want to spend the next few years in. If you want a few biased opinions like you have been getting here, except for the mustang, head to mustangworld.com. They have lots of pics of 05's plus a message board to talk about the 05.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
LBCz33

Good luck with your decision! It would be interesting to see what the Mustang folks say. Definitely take what you want from a car into account before you make your decision.

As for me, I was very close to buying a Cobra (used) from a friend but decided against it and purchased a G35 coupe. The Mustang was impressive, but was not as refined when it came to handling and road manners. For crazy burnouts and straight line power it was great! The G and now my Z handle much better, very responsive, very confident. From what i've heard about the new mustang, its handling (while improved) has not changed by leaps and bounds... If you are looking for brute power for cheap... the Mustang is probably the way to go... for a more refinement and all around performance, I would go with the Z ...
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 PM
NocaCrawl

Unbias opinion? Like one person said...This is a Z site. With that said Why narrow your options to just 2 cars. I mean if I were you I would toss in the GTO as well? 400HP???
Like EVERYONE is saying you have to make the decision to best fit your needs.
The majority of the people on this site wouldnt take a c6 vette even if it was free delievered and detailed. (Not me, I would take the vette)
Old 07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
lane myers

Originally Posted by zownz
Oh does it really, explain a v6 300hp vs a v8 300+??
lol!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:01 PM
JimmyT

Thx for all the great replies. I knew this question was going to recieve biased replies, but that is what I was looking for. For everyone on this site to sell their car by giving me the reasons why the Z is the way to go. I posted this same question on a mustang forum, and surprise surprise they vote for the stang. But by doing this a recieve great information to consider in the future.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 PM
MADDOG`

Two different cars with different approaches to motoring joy. The Z has less horsepower but handles better, is lighter and, depending on model, probably has better brakes.

The Mustang is HP all the way although Furd has made some strides in the suspension area. It's heaver, but has a V-8 with good torque values to move that weight.

Guess ya have to decide what ya want in a car, then go for it. Of course, the Mustang has a rear seat if you need to haul small people (read infants) and small dogs.

Quick Reply: Z or mustang