Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z or mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paragraph indentations would be good...sorry for the eyesore guys.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:23 PM
KingOfV6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just edit your post you can add them
Old 07-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Mr_Q

Myself, I love my Z. However I am going to picking up a 2005 Mustang GT convertible as a weekend family cruise, going on long drives, car. Automatic tranny even! But that's just me. I already have a Z for my sporty, attention grabbing, fun to drive, and track needs.

So if it's just for yourself, get the Z!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:25 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

I have a 03 Z and a 05 Mustang GT Ragtop. Both are M/T cars. Yestaerday was the Mustangs day to be driven todays is the Z. The Z loves to be driven fast. The Mustang likes to cruse. The only looks I get in the Z is, well none. The Mustangs gets the thumbs up and lots of smiles. The butt dyno say the Z is quicker and I know the top end is much higher. The Mustang power comes on hard at @3k where as the Z keeps pulling from the start. One of my coworkers just bought a Viper. I get more comments from the ladies at work about the Mustang than he gets about the Viper ( or Z ). Must admt he gets a lot of comments from the guys though. Bottom line is I am enjoying both. The Z is fun for short day trips, The Mustang is good for overnighters. Just keep this is your thoughts. Do you want to be like a Bruce Lee or Muhammand Ali? Both fought well but in different ways.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 AM
Chad68

Hahaha.

A 350Z forum will tell you to get a 350Z.

A Mustang Forum will tell you to get a Stang.

And a Corvette forum will tell you they are both junk:-P

I've never been much of caring too much about what others say to buy or not to buy. I buy what I want. If you buy what YOU want, you won't make a bad choice.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by Chad68
Hahaha.

A 350Z forum will tell you to get a 350Z.

A Mustang Forum will tell you to get a Stang.

And a Corvette forum will tell you they are both junk:-P

I've never been much of caring too much about what others say to buy or not to buy. I buy what I want. If you buy what YOU want, you won't make a bad choice.
Amen. And the Porsche forum would say the Z lacks refinement, sophistication and finesse, while the Ferrari folks no doubt would say the same of the quaint little cars made by Porsche.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 AM
lightforce18

ID get a Z
Old 07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Timmy_boy188

uhhgg! mustangs are so sick, the insides are as about as boring as watching paint dry, the backseats are worthless because there is no room, the shifter looks like the same shifters they put in there 1985 f150s, they get about 15 miles to the gallon down a hill with the wind to your back, there is no comparision here, your comparing apples to a chicken sandwich, if you want american power get a firebird, the z is no perfect car either as any other car but cmon, why would you ever buy a car that rental companys rent out, how boring. just my perspective

Tim
Old 07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
RadioManJ

I did my domestic duty twice. 97 GT, lemon lawed it. The dealer gave me a 97 COBRA for the same price, I jazzed it out with all the suspension goodies, it finally handled well, but even after four years and only 22Kmi, it was beginning to show it's age. Now the new GT is "obviously better in chassis and suspension geometry. I'd say... Buy a GT, drive it for about two years, then come back to the real thing... Z.
That way you have done your domestic Duty and served your country well.

DUH... Z all the way!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 PM
wireben

Originally Posted by MovingViolation
My '03 was built in 2002 and guess what....no problems. Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

I own one...I know first hand...

Last edited by wireben; 07-19-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
I have a 03 Z and a 05 Mustang GT Ragtop. Both are M/T cars. Yestaerday was the Mustangs day to be driven todays is the Z. The Z loves to be driven fast. The Mustang likes to cruse. The only looks I get in the Z is, well none. The Mustangs gets the thumbs up and lots of smiles. The butt dyno say the Z is quicker and I know the top end is much higher. The Mustang power comes on hard at @3k where as the Z keeps pulling from the start. One of my coworkers just bought a Viper. I get more comments from the ladies at work about the Mustang than he gets about the Viper ( or Z ). Must admt he gets a lot of comments from the guys though. Bottom line is I am enjoying both. The Z is fun for short day trips, The Mustang is good for overnighters. Just keep this is your thoughts. Do you want to be like a Bruce Lee or Muhammand Ali? Both fought well but in different ways.

.....Just keep this is your thoughts. Do you want to be like a Bruce Lee or Muhammand Ali? Both fought well but in different ways.......

So which one is Bruce Lee, the Z or the Mustang? Cuz everybody knows when both were in their prime and or alive in Bruce's case, Bruce Lee could kick Ali's a$$ all day long:-D
Old 07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> V6 mustangs are a discrase to the mustang culture and the only mustang i would ever think of getting is there highest model the SVT Mustang Cobra.

Yeah, but that gets you into the area of spending disgraceful amounts of money.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Zoro

I have both cars, but my stang is an older model not the new one. I have test driven the new one and thought it looked below class inside. But I love the exterior of the new stang. I was actually in the process of buying one but found the waiting list much to long. The stang seats give me shoulder problems after extended driving, the Z seats are great. The handling is Z hands down not even close. General everyday driving confort goes to the stang a much smoother old fart type ride. Both cars are lousy in winter weather and should be kept in the garage.

The back seat of the stang is a plus if you have infants or midget friends.

Last edited by Zoro; 07-21-2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:37 AM
RadioManJ

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...24_38_full.jpg

I had a 97 COBRA. After extensive suspension parts I got it to handle well and ride smooth, yet take a hard turn with out too much DRAMA. The coolest thing about the COBRA was the thrill factor. The off the line punch and how well it pulled to 7K redline. All those 32 valves chattering and the exhaust note, not to mention the attention form everyone in the world. However when the thrill was gone, the car did not offer much in refinement. I guess a mustang is not supposed to have refinement though. Who knows. I have the following...

Eibach sway bars and Pro-kit springs
solid steering rack bushings
Full urethane bushings on all suspension parts
Tubular lower control arms (greasable)
4:30 motorsport gears
Steeda Pulleys
K&N offroad intake with Ram Air
BBK offraod H pipe
Magnaflow catback
COBRA R 17X9 wheels (the real SVT ones)
Pro 5.0 shifter

13.4s @105mph - heavy car!

I like mustangs. I don't think they compare to the Z.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:06 AM
jfranci3

2000 Mustang GT owner chiming in here -

2005 Mustang vs. Z

Power - The 3-valve 4.6 hands down. I've driven several 03 and 04 z's and my 2000 4.6 has significantly more pull than the Z's motor. They may have similar numbers, but the 4.6 kills it off-peak, part throttle. I'm really not too impressed with the Z's motor, which is why I haven't bought one.

Looks - To each his own. These cars in two different genres

Ride and handling - Both cars have a significant amount of understeer from the factory. Put a spring/shock kit on both, and the 350 will aways handle better. I think you'll find the Mustang isn't too bad though. The rear-axle, which everyone points too, isn't as weak as everyone thinks. The Panhard bar/ 3-link rear end they put in this year is exactly what the aftermarket has been putting on roadracing pre-2005 mustangs for years. It will also be manageable on bumpy roads as the panhard bar stabilizes the rear significantly. The Z will be better here. On drag launches, the Mustang will out perform the Z hands down. IRS isn't great as managing launch traction. They are both sporty cars so the ride will be firm.

Quality - Both cars have their issues. I think you'll find the Mustang is very underrated here. I've been autocrossing, daily driving, opentracking my car for 5 years now, and I haven't had a SINGLE problem. Mustangs are built to be beat on. Though the Z's have been fairly reliable, you can't say the same for the Z.

Dealers - Ford dealers suck. Thankfully, you'll be able to work on your Mustang yourself as everything is easily accessible.

Aftermarket - If you want to do opentracks or drag race, the aftermarket support is HUGE for mustangs. Parts are CHEAP. The 05 aftermarket is building, but coming. Let's compare sample items on a 350z vs. an 05's Mustang, and you'll find the Mustang parts are 1/2 the cost. Plus the mustang has a LOT more room to grow. Example: If you want more power the Z can get 350rwhp for $5000, 450 for $10000. The Mustang will reach 450 for $4500, 600 for about $10000. The Mustang is just a more moldable platform.

Versatility - Mustang has a rear seat.

Anyway, I've said my piece. DRIVE BOTH - these cars are in two close, but separate genres. DON'T LISTEN TO FOOLS WHO JUDGE BY STEREOTYPES AND HERESAY - they are dumb****s, and their advice should be ignored.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:16 PM
tmb

Originally Posted by jfranci3
2000 Mustang GT owner chiming in here -

2005 Mustang vs. Z

Dealers - Ford dealers suck. Thankfully, you'll be able to work on your Mustang yourself as everything is easily accessible.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything but I can not imagine you meant that comment to be taken as serious.
If I take your comment literally, then I would RUN not walk from this car.

Cars today are so complicated today that you can not work on them yourself ,beyond oil changes and the simple PM stuff.

Plus why would I buy a particular car if I thought I had to fix it instead of the dealer? I have ZERO desire to work on my car and could not if I wanted to.

You have all the tools and the $30,000 diagnostic computer?
How about the Warranty issues?
How about the TSB's that a dealer gets?

We are not talking about a '64 stang here after all

Your comment does bring up a VERY valid thing to consider when buying a car. When you drop that kind of money on a car, you should get excellent dealer service. If that is not the case then look for another brand.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Jason021174

I can't speak about the '05 Mustang, but I can speak about the '03, and '98. I have been a Mustang fanatic since I was 15, now 31. I recently traded in the '03 GT for an '05 Z. I do not regret trading one bit. I love the way the Z handles. The Z is a hell of a lot more fun to drive on a daily basis. Put it like this, I spent way too much money on the GT to get the same performance a Z has from stock. Plus, the GT will not last nearly as long as a Z, or any import for that matter.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
FairLady32

Originally Posted by mrhammer
Ford vs Nissan?
Thats a no brainer, Nissan hands down.

^ hahaha maybe the z vs mustang = a hands down.. if u bring the 2 companies head to head... im sorry but nissan will get their face crapped on !!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:40 AM
jenna350z

NO Not a ****stang
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
NeoRacer_106

THe new Stangs are everywhere, I've seen more of them in the past week than I see Z's in a month

Quick Reply: Z or mustang