Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z or mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:42 PM
JimmyT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z or mustang

Hey folks, I was hoping that I could get some help in making a decision. I have been planning on purchasing a new car for some time now. I have changed my mind so many times. To make a long story short, I finnally decided on the new mustang gt. I studied it for hours and finnally ordered one a couple of months ago. Problem is a just recently stumbled upon the nissan Z. I test drove one and loved it. Now I have alot on my mind. I know nothing of the Z. I have read some reviews on the car and was surprised by what I read. Mostly of what was said about the interior. After my experience with the car, I loved the interior, with the Bose speakers, tilting gauges, everything. I thought the interior was very upscale. Lots of leather, lots less hard plastic. More so the the mustang with all it's hard plastic. So I was surprised to read that the interior is cheap. Any comments on what all of you who own one think? This car would be my daily driver, I read the thread on this subject and most people commented on the trunk space. I'm more concerned on the drive. Is it fun to drive? Motor Trend said it was difficult for a simple daily commute. Do the leather seats get uncomfortable or are they fine. Should I get the Z or stick with the mustang? Thx for all the help.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:49 PM
The Liu Man

Let's put it this way.

Do you have a mullet?

If no, get the Z.

edit: seriously though, if it's only about performance for you, get the stang because they can be heavily modified FOR CHEAP. if you like getting more attention, get the Z.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Forrest80

i had to make the same choice. I was between a Mustang GT or a 350z but the 30k sticker on a enthuisast version kept me from being with a 350z.

But guess what heres the quote from my dealer. "$30,230, an invoice of $28,001, your month end blowout price is only $26,761!"

Base Mustang GT $25,815.00
With Anti Theft $26,070.00
With Automatic $27,065.00

So this is how i made my choice, what did i get with my 350z?
Better Gas milage.
Automatic + Manual
Anti Theft.
Im pretty positive better handling.
WAY better looks, chicks see the car and have to ask what it is!
I am about 100 miles north of San Fransico, i have only seen one Z on the highway where i live besides my self, i see many mustangs. Feels good to be unique.

What did i lose? a trunk, and back seats.

Did i ever use those things? i used the trunk for shopping but guess what i use the back of my Z for shopping too.

4 seats? well i dunno out of like 8 years of driveing i rarely have more than 2 people in my car, i usely drive alone becuase it is my daily driver too. If i need 4 seats i guess i will have to buy a used civic.

what ever makes you happyest is what you should go with, for me i am so dam happy with my z, its like my baby now.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
s3fddiZ

I have driven both a new 05 Gt and the 05 Z as daily drivers and here are my thoughts.

Mustang:
More Torque - quick getup from stop lights
Looks - more uninformed spectators will look at the GT more then the Z, but only for another couple months.

350Z
HP - the Z will take the stang from a roll
Handles - the Z out performs lots of other cars on the road
Interior - the Z is alot more comfotable. It feels like you sit in the seats, the GT feels like you sit on the seats.
Elite - 35,000 Z's made a year vs. 350,000 mustangs made a year

I have been a stang guy all my life. I love both cars, both are fun, both are fast. My end decision came down to not wanting to drive a car every other person on the road had.

EDIT:
about the backseat. The backseat of a mustang is pointless. You might as well get the Z so people wont scam you into driving them around.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 PM
josephchihweilu

all i can say is one thing: Japanese Ingenuity > American Muscle
Old 07-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Peteman

Originally Posted by josephchihweilu
all i can say is one thing: Japanese Ingenuity > American Muscle
I think thats a pretty silly statement. The current Mustang uses just about all the modern features present on the Z.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:53 PM
wireben

Get a stang...I love the Z, but it has issues...a lot of them.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:56 AM
ken350z

I love the looks of the Mustang but bought a Z for it's looks and it's superior handling.

Besides... FORD = Found On Road Dead
Old 07-04-2005, 05:26 AM
vladsstuff

Strictly from a performance POV:

Z:
3200lbs
287hp
274lb' torque

Stang GT:
3500lbs
300hp
320lb' torque

Z
Old 07-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by ken350z
I love the looks of the Mustang but bought a Z for it's looks and it's superior handling.

Besides... FORD = Found On Road Dead
Indeed, and as the age old Ford v. Chevy debaters will tell you, it also = Fixed Or Repaired Daily but First On Race Day.

The Z v. a 'stang is an interesting cross-shop.

As others have said, exclusivity goes to the Z (but if some of you guys can afford BOTH a new GT AND a Z and you want exclusivity, just buy a well-preserved previous-generation 911 for the same price).

I can't help but mention again my amazement with all the concern over the FEEL of an interior (in terms of "sophistication, refinement, more upscale feel to the plastics," yada, yada yada) instead of PRACTICAL EXECUTION of the interior (seats comfy for long drives, yet well bolstered for canyon carving; gauges legible and well placed, w/tach front and center; and audio system quality). I never cease to be amazed at how many people claim, anyway, to want either a pure sports car or muscle car but also want the freakin' interior of an Audi or Lexus. Those people need to just buy an Audi or Lexus and forget about driving a real sports car. *rant over* Sorry.

Anyway, I can tell you that I have raced several new manual GTs from a roll w/my 5AT Z, which only has simple bolt-on intake/exh. performance mods, and could slowly walk away from the 'stangs. That said, the performance aftermarket, as others posted above, is WAY cheaper for the Mustang. Of course, it's all relative when it comes to mod costs (I recently inquired for a friend as to the cost of a supercharger for a new M-B SLK AMG, and I was quoted a price of "only" $19,500.00 for just the SC, w/o install! ).

One thing I am surprised no one mentioned above that should factor into anyone's decision is how rough the roads are where you live. With the new improved live rear axle setup in the GT, it may not matter when you're headed in a straight line, but take it from someone who lives in an area with a lot of bumpy roads: ANY car with a solid rear axle is gonna have HUGE cornering problems due to wheel hop if the pavement is bumpy, has pothole patches or undulates. If this is an issue where you live, go with the Z.

edit: FWIW, my Z is a daily driver w/over 25k miles in the first year. No significant complaints so far. Good luck with your choice, Jimmy.

Last edited by Darthvol; 07-04-2005 at 06:55 AM. Reason: daily driver issue
Old 07-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Risk

Originally Posted by mc350z
cant agree 100% on the Z taking the mustang from a role. to me i believe its even with a marginal advantage to the mustang. the only test i have to back this up is near even 1/8 mile runs and published 0-60 times

Ive done a few....ahem...real world tests with this one and its true the Z can and will take a mustang from a roll (either that or the guy REALLY didnt know how to shift).
Old 07-04-2005, 10:56 AM
lgreene

Get the car that fits YOUR lifestyle and taste. As far as other peoples opinion, take them into to consideration but dont allow yourself to be swayed by them. I would go for the Z mainly because it fits MY lifestyle and it's alot fun to drive! Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Pastapuck

No more Mustangs!

Get a Z man, get a Z.

Only Mustang I'd get is a Cobra, Saleen, or Roush.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:46 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by wireben
Get a stang...I love the Z, but it has issues...a lot of them.

Most of those issues were the 03's. Tell me a car that does not have issues!

And the Mustang doesn't have issues? Please!

One thing for sure that will kill you on the Mustang is resale value.

Z hands down.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:54 AM
itburns

I think this depends on how you intend to mod the Mustang. Stock for stock, the Z is a better ride in looks, comfort and handling. With the money you save buying a Mustang, you can do some street damage. The Z will always have a greater Cool coefficient, or cC.

If you want a better car than the Z, then wait for the Mustang Shelby GT500 that comes out next year. 500 HP and 450 TQ that will stomp on C6's and M5's. You can get one for the price of a loaded 35th Anniversary Z, and it will get more attention, I guarantee it.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
itburns

If you buy a Mustang, just remember to disconnect the cruise control. You don't want your new investment to spontaneously go up in flames when it's parked in your garage.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
wireben

Originally Posted by zand02max
Most of those issues were the 03's. Tell me a car that does not have issues!

And the Mustang doesn't have issues? Please!

One thing for sure that will kill you on the Mustang is resale value.

Z hands down.

So you telling me the 04 & 05 have no issues the 03 have? Please!
And the Z has a great resale value? Please!

Old 07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
mrhammer

Ford vs Nissan?
Thats a no brainer, Nissan hands down.

Quick Reply: Z or mustang