Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 03:21 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Yeah it's gettin' cold again

Originally Posted by SandMan
Hey how is everything? I remember that meet, how could i forget freezing my nuts off with a bunch of car guys lol.

Yeah I guess i should have just gone with FI instead of a body kit. But who knows maybe with my luck my engine would have blown. Good hearing from ya, maybe we can check out some local meets, the weather is getting cold so it will be like last time.
I'm glad that you stopped by this GREAT thread.

There are some great performance MODS out there, but unfortunately very few of them come cheap. And after you separate the good from the bad, for the most part, much of what's available doesn't greatly enhance nor provide truly significant HP gain.

I loved your adjustable suspension demo. Now that seemed like a great investment. Still diggin' it?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM
SandMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one mod I love. The TEIN flex rocks, and the EDFC really helps it keep it's versatility. People who ride in my Z love it to, especially when I do some spirited driving. They don't realize what the EDFC is, until I set it stiff, then they realize "wow that is freakin sweet". I highly recommend it for coilovers. I think JIC is coming out with their own EDFC, so it gives more options for us enthusiasts.

I got the Nismo LSD, and people who don't know what it is hate it when they ride the Z. They get scared when it starts popping. But to me the performance outweighs the annoyance of tight turns while in gear.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:26 PM
frankmusic

That is one mod I love. The TEIN flex rocks, and the EDFC really helps it keep it's versatility. People who ride in my Z love it to, especially when I do some spirited driving. They don't realize what the EDFC is, until I set it stiff, then they realize "wow that is freakin sweet". I highly recommend it for coilovers. I think JIC is coming out with their own EDFC, so it gives more options for us enthusiasts.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I would simply LOVE that set-up in my Z. Selecting (and getting) the right feel for the right moment .............Man, that really is KILLER!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM
beastie

I regret the NOS because I went APS ST and I regret that because after 3 months I still have issues! I also hate my MOMO shifter. It keeps rattling.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
AParshall04

Did you pay $2500 just to have your body kit painted to match your car? Or was this for the entire car? $2500 is pretty rediculous for just a body kit.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Oleg

Sandman, I spoke to the guys at the PM a few times myself. I couldn't help but to laugh when they stated that they are "involving you in the disicion making process". I spoke to them a couple of times when I was looking in to PE TT. I inquired them about upgrading the motor, they have quickly gave me a choice between a 20G longblock and a 12G shorblock (G=$1000, I did not mistype). When speaking to them I felt like they think that know better then me what I need and unless I shell out what they tell me to, my car will destroy itself. I was under an impression that they are pricey and arrogant, but skilled and competent and can afford to have egos. Your story.... What a bunch of jackasses. But oh well, that's what the forums are for right? Sorry this happened to you though....

BTW, these 350Z meets on LI, I live in Brooklyn, if at any point you guys are going to have one, let me know
I have a hard time meeting people who are as obsessed about their Z's as I am.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:58 AM
SandMan

It was $2500 for show quality work on the bodykit. I was willing to shell out money for a really nice paintjob. What they gave me was a kick in my sac.

Yeah performance motorsport is insanely expensive, but they don't care for anyone but themselves. It's sad because they used to give a crap. They used to be good. Times change I guess.

I dunno when the Z meets are, but it would be nice to have one soon.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
eat rice z33

sorry to hear about your body kit problems bro!!! i myself used to have bad luck with paint on my old honda. but with my z i got the rear kit painted by a friend of my fathers. anyways im located on the ct nyc border if you are ever forming a meet please let us know! i will love to come down and join!!

i would like to also add to this thread. i bought some test pipes and upon arrival i soon realized that they were horrible quality and horrible fitment. i belive these were "tuning pros test pipes". anyways story goes i sold them for a lot less than i spent and learned my lesson.

My body kit was pain in the *** to install as its mounting system was non existent! Lucky for me i have a metal shop etc at my house, so i went on to fabricate custom brackets and mounts for the diffuser etc! be careful with what you buy guys!!

Last edited by eat rice z33; 12-11-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:30 PM
dovla

I regret CrafordZ cats. I already had MD ½” spacer and after cats were installed I felt no gain. Dyno showed loss of power and my A/F went up 1 rate to 15+. 2nd dyno – added cats - G35Driver
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice thread... well i regret buying a G35 sedan a year ago, i bought it for a nice 4 door luxury car and got the racing bug again. nitrous and a few mods later it was pretty fast. trapping a decient 110. the 5AT gearing is weak though. so i traded it in for a 6MT 03 touring. cant wait to put the N20 on tomorrow.

should be a lot more fun!!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 AM
MoodDude

I think I will most regret when I have nothing else to modify

One mod that I pulled out was the Aluminum Interior, looked great - yet it would reflect sun right into my eyes, and it would reflect off of the windows. Made it hell to drive.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 AM
CESAROTORRES

Default Force induction on a 5AT

Force induction on a 5AT, Sorry but on my own PERSONAL opinion nobody (SGP, STILLEN, Level10 or Edge, etc....) has a true kit for the 350Z 5AT equip with F/I. I have faith that they will soon, for now we all are guinea pigs.

I also believe bumping the rev limiter to 7200 rpm is just sugar coating the problems.

What the f.u.c.k I was thinking when I bought a sport car automatic. (it is also my fault)

Let’s hear more.

Happy Holidays
Cesar

PS.
NO Offence TO ANY OF THE COMPANIES MEATION ABOVE, THEY ALL ARE GREAT COMPAYS AND I AM SURE THEY WILL COME WITH A THRUE SOLUTION FOR THE 5AT.

Last edited by CESAROTORRES; 12-18-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Zendem

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes Sandman.It seemed in the story that you were pretty patient with the price and all the extra taxes and all, I kept seeing you quote the "ok no problem i can deal with that" line a few times.

As far as myself is concerned i have no regrets, actually my only regret is not having enough money for more mods to feed this animal.

My mods are a pop charger, hotchkis springs, Hankook k104 rubber, hp design wheels.Veilside side skirts and C-west Bumper and finished of with some window tint for the exterior.
and i'm very happy with all of these mods and i recommend them to everyone
Old 12-22-2005, 06:07 PM
lunartick13

I am thinking about getting a set of Rays Wheels like the ones on the 35th Ann. or the 2006 models, I think they look great! but not sure just how much they weight per wheel as compared to my 17" wheels and I hear the Rays will run me about 1700.0 not sure if it`l be worth it..
Old 12-23-2005, 09:00 AM
froggy

Originally Posted by chimmike
keeping the pop charger in the stillen box is probably killing what gains you might have been getting....the pop charger needs freer air flow...and more air to suck in. Also as was suggested, unplug the battery.
I track my Z. The JWT was just sucking hot air from the engine bay. Even my plastic plenum was too hot. Now it's better when I touch it.Still no HP gain/loss. The Varis air duct should be sold with the JWT.

I did test the reset...Conclusion: NA mods aren't appropriate for performance (unless you tune your Z with UTEC or something). Those mods will give you some... different sensations,sometimes you may even loose power...
Don't believe the hype !
Old 12-23-2005, 09:18 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I regret reading these forums all the time

always some new better part coming out to make me want to sell the parts I just put on my car and upgrade
Old 12-25-2005, 05:31 PM
UrbanTacticZ

here is my story:

I had a bad feeling when I ordered the INGS +1 Hybrid Full bumper kit for the Z. I had nightmares of overspray, damaged rims, ****ing up my bumpers on speed bumps and potholes. But I never imagined what actually happened. I bought the kit from Peformance motorsport (Westbury, NY), it took 3 months to get, that was understandable. Once I got the kit Andrew Rubio told me they had to charge me extra because of frieght charges, they had to send it by truck. But I noticed on the box it was shipped by air and was in JFK. I didn’t know JFK flew trucks around. And I thought the price was final, I guess not. Hidden fees start to begin to show up, plus they tax these hidden fees. Ok whatever I am not complaining I got my kit.

Now I need it to get painted. I went with the place the Rubios owned, Performance Autobody in Smithtown, NY. I am guessing that since they own it they will know exactly what is going on in there. The guy in charge Oscar Rubio said he personally will keep an eye on it. So I feel less anxious, ok the boss will keep an eye on it, should be immaculate. They charge me $2500 dollars for the job, I am expecting show quality work. They even told me they will put their best guy on the job, the guy who did the paint on their Pro Car. They told me it would take a week, ok no problem I can deal with a week. The week goes by and I call to pick up. They told me they were “massaging the kit on” and needed more time for the “TLC” they were giving it. Ok no problem I won’t rush work, I give them another week. The time comes for me to pick up the car. The exhaust wasn’t mounted on the car, they told me the angled tips wouldn’t fit the kit. Ok no problem I will see what Performance motorsport can do to fix it. The rear bumper was uneven, they told me they didn’t mount the brackets because they didn’t want to mess it up before the exhaust went back on. That is total bull**** because it was mounted on an uneven bracket they made. The paintjob was hard to see because the rain on the car. But once I got it back home I checked the paint again. The whole kit was a couple shades lighter and lumpier than burnt homemade gravy. They gave me the excuse that it was the kits fault because the molding is bad. Yeah, a $3000 kit is to be at fault because of their “****ty molding”. The original paintjob was chipped in a bunch of places with hairline scratched all over. How is it I go get a kit put on and end up with more damage than when I went in?

Ok I went to Performance motorsport to get the exhaust put on. This is the Injen SES angled tip exhaust I had before the kit was bought. Vinny Ten told me they will cut the piping and refabricate it. Ok I left my car with them for a week. Come back and the exhaust is put on the same way I had it before the kit was put on. Not only that but the paint was chipped where the exhaust was touching the kit. I was like what the ****? And not only that, they wanted to charge me for the work the bodyshop should have done in the beginning. Ok can we get a lil bit lazier? I argued with them and they dropped the cost. I drove the car back to my house, and my brother looked at the kit and told me my paint melted off the rear bumper where the exhaust was pointing at. WHAT THE HELL, ok do their lazy shortcut backfired on them. The paint just blew off in sheets. It looked like total ****. I had to drive around like that for 2 weeks. I spoke with Nick, their secretary, I told him I needed them to fix what they caused. He wasn’t being cooperative, they were racing so they couldn’t take me in. I was furious to be the least, but I lost it when Nick told me “The race team comes first and customers come second.” I lost my temper and started to get loud. (Why have a speedshop when customers come second? Why not just stick with racing?) Who is this secretary to tell me this? I was a customer of Peformance motorsport 2 years before this clown even stepped foot in to work for them. I was their first customer and I am now treated like a second hand *****. I went to the shop myself and explained myself to Vinny and how Nick told me “The race team comes first and customers second.” I finally got them to take me in, they said they would fabricate it for real this time. I left the car there for a few days.

I call to pick up my car, Nick picks up (hmm he still has his job there?) and tells me I have to come to the shop RIGHT AWAY. I felt sick to my stomach, and I felt sick the whole drive there. Vinny tells me “Ok we will include me in the decision making process now.” WHAT?? OH thanks SOOO MUCH to include me in the decision making process now. He told me they tried to put a heat shield on the bumper. Once they used the rivot gun to put it on, the bumper just cracked and were full of holes. Wait, why the hell did you try and put a heat shield on without my say? Frankie (mechanic) told me “he tried to put on the heatshield on then thought to himself wait the exhaust pointing at the heatshield would melt the paint and cause more paint to melt.” Ok, after your put 5 craters on my bumper did you think of this. I always thought good mechanics measured twice and cut once. Wow everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. I went to a new body shop they dropped it off at. I was ready to kill someone when I saw what they did. I have pictures of it but its kind of crappy because it’s a cell phone picture. Ok here is where my part of “decision making comes in.” Frankie tells me ok what they have planned is to keep my Injen SES on there and refabricate the bumper and charge me for it. I was like, OH hell no, I will end up with a bumper in 20 different pieces. I told them to put my STOCK exhaust on and just cover up the holes. At least Vinny took care of the cost of the repaint. The repaint was not too bad, althought the paint feels like sandpaper. At least the holes were covered up. I just didn’t want them to **** it up even more than they already ****ed it up. Now I am with less horsepower because I had to go back to stock exhaust. And now I am with a $3000 bodykit and $2500 dollar paint job, and it looks like I spent a total of $500 on a replica with a paintjob a 5 year old put on.

Performance Autobody and Performance motorsport lost their faithful customer, their first customer they had. I am just so angry how they half assed everything and wanted top dollar for it. What is a customer to do when they are not top priority? I think my gut feeling in the beginning was right, something was going to go wrong. Wait no EVERYTHING is going to go wrong. I am now looking to sell my Injen and maybe invest in a new exhaust system. I just had to get this off my chest, it hurts me everytime I look at my Z and see a botched operation. It’s like looking at a model who had Texas chainsaw as her plastic surgeon. Such a pity.
sorry to hear about your unfortunate situations with these people. its funny how a lot of people get screwed over when it comes to bodywork. i had problems like these with a bodyshop on my old car too. but, live and learn right?

one thing for sure, i always pay with a credit card now. if the shop doesnt take card, then screw it unless you really know their work and/or they are close friends of yours. if you dont want to pay interest, then pay the bill at the end of the month, pretty simple. using card just acts as extra insurance, if they hussle you around and try to screw you over, just mention "dispute charges" or "charge back" and im sure they will pay attention to you. if not then its as simple as a call to your credit card company and they can assist you with reversing the charges so atleast you're not out any money from your pocket.

obviously there is nothing wrong with the kit you have, ings is great quality. they didnt do their job correctly so the paint started to chip and flake off. probably in the stages of preping i think. the wait for the kit was correct, i import things from japan all the time and it takes me about 3 months.

the freight charges, might be correct as well. when i ship things up from southern california, to northern california they ship it by air freight to a terminal and then truck it to my business.

hopefully those guys get what's coming to them though. it is those kind of people that ruin this industry and make honest venders look bad.

----

as far as regrets? i dont have any i dont think. all i have on my car is test pipes and my audio system. we're building the car up for a company car within the next 6 months and im making sure i research all the mods first =p

this thread was very helpful too, thanks to everyone who provided helpful information!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:26 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
I regret reading these forums all the time

always some new better part coming out to make me want to sell the parts I just put on my car and upgrade
I have to agree with that!

In our own little worlds, where this forum doesn't exist, our Z's are king. Until you come on here and realize how much better it can be.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:22 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Yo, Mods. How about pinning this thread; lots of good stuff here.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:41 AM
05-Z

Great thread. I've definitely learned over the past 10 years to choose yours mods carefully; sometimes you'll only make things worse. And you wallet lighter.

While I don't have many mods, each one has truly made me happy and I have no regrets.

BBK or Sirius Radio is next.

Quick Reply: REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?