Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z IS NOT HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 03:47 PM
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the Z33 IS heavy. Here's why...

Originally posted by meinserboy

The Z is a sporty coupe. not a sports car. [/B]
Not a coupe but maybe a GT sports car. Also the SL500 has a dedicated platform and it is like 1000 lbs heavier than the Z so look at it that way.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:03 PM
sdpearso

Default Re: Re: 350z IS NOT HEAVY

Originally posted by jasonintoronto
a 911
I understand you answered the question but how much do those 911s cost again?
Old 12-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Boomer

Default Re: the Z33 IS heavy. Here's why...

It's built on the Infinity G35s platform.

The G35s is a sedan not a sports car. I suppose Nissan did this as a compromise. Maybe they didn't have another sports car platform.

But it is heavy. It weighes more than a P.T. cruiser.

It is not like the 240Zs or 280Zs which were light. Nissan calls this the rebirth of the Z but that is a weak marketing ploy.

IF the Z was built in the MR-2, Miata, CRX weight range (2000-2400Lbs.) with a 300hp 3.5 it could challenge vettes and 996s (like the first Z's could in it's day)

The Z is a sporty coupe. not a sports car.
Your kind of late with your info, meinserboy. Everyone knows how theZ platform was derived from the new FM chassis. The P.T, Cruiser is built on a Neon chassis and has the Neon engine, but you can get a turbo now.

Did you ever own a 240 or 280? The 240 was weighed in at 2238lbs by Road and Track in 1970 and the 280 came out in 1977 with 26-2800 lbs. I owned a 240 for 7 years and the 350Z is a worthy successor to the early cars.

I wouldn't buy a 300hp 2000lb car as a daily driver since it would have little enough weight to support the engine, much less a driver and passenger.

The 2002 Porsche Turbo weighs over 3200 lbs. Would you call it a sporty coupe?

Boomer--I'm with you, Rai, this is the most useless thread on the site, 8-9 pages of, "Is the Z Heavy?" is ludicrous.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Boomer

is 3200 pounds enough to support the 450+ hp/torque of the 996 GT-2?

The idea that a heavy car is a more stable car or a car capable of supprting more power is rediculous.

If that idea wasn't crazy then why can the porsche support almost twice the power at slightly less weight than the Z???

You want to add more power to a car? Beef up it's drivetrain and clutch and that's all. You don't have to make it a thousand pounds heavier.

If toyota or mazda got smart and stuck in 300hp 3.5s, the MR-2s and Miatas would dominate.

Now tell me - because I honestly don't know - why can't this be done as a daily driver???
I'll try. I owned a 91 MRT Turbo for 7 yrs and 128,000 miles. It had 200hp at 6000rpm and 200lbs of torque at 3200rpm, redline was 7300rpm. I used it as my company car for all of those 7 yrs and drove all over Oklahoma. It was a very quick car and it weighed 2860lbs, btw, R&T has a used car classic story on it in the Jan issue, back to my point, the Turbo was already fast at 2860lbs and I weighed another 250lbs.

OK, increase the HP by 100 and lose 860lbs, and you couldn't keep it on the road if you really let it loose. It wouldn't have any comforts at all, you would have to throw away everything in the car to get down to 2000 lbs, it would be good for nothing but a race car. It would be crazy to drive it on the street and every cop in your town would have your number because you could break most of the traffic laws in a couple of blocks. Cars with that kind of power to weight ratio would be dangerous on the racetrack, much less a public road of any kind.

Last weekend, my Sister-in-law and her husband were in town and I let him drive the Z. I had just finished breaking it in. He drove it out of town, toward the Canadian river bridge, south on I35 at the edge of the OKC Metro. It's a long bridge across the river, maybe 3/4s of a mile. I have the 5AT Touring model, I weigh 285 and he weighs 235. At the last entrance south onto the bridge, he floors it at 50mph and we hit 110-115mph 1/2 way across the bridge and he starts slowing down for the end of the bridge and the exit which will take us back north. I told him he could go farther, but he says no, this will do. We crossed the bridge and I got back into the Driver's seat, he doesn't say, let me drive on home, he has had enough. I accelerate onto the bridge in manual mode, 5AT remember, and hit the redline with each shift, 1st through 3rd and part of 4th before we exit the bridge with my foot hard on the brake to avoid entering the city limits running over 100+mph.

The point of the story is my brother-in-law knew he was overdriving a car which was too powerful for him. His wife has a 2000 BMWiL with a 282HP V8 but it weighs 1000lbs more than the Z. He has run it up to 130-150mph, on the Autobahn when they picked it up in Munich, but not even close to how fast he got to 110mph in the 350Z crossing a bridge in Oklahoma.

Now, you go to driving school and gut a 350Z, put in a roll cage, and go racing on a track with the HP to WT ratio you are talking about and Ill cheer you on, but you drive a monster like that in town and you will go to jail, if you don't kill yourself and somebody else.

One last point, how much does the 911 cost? 4 or 5 times as much as the Z; you want to go really fast? How much money do you have? Why does the Porsche 911 GT2 cost so much? It costs a hell of a lot of money to build a car so fast and make it safe enough to drive it on the street without killing somebody. Every car has limits and so does every driver, you or me need to know any performance car's limits and make sure we are as good as the car.

Boomer babble--use it or lose it, I don't care.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-18-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:50 AM
daSchtick

The Z weighs 3200 lbs, who cares? The real question is how does it feel? I will admit that I do not own a Z, or have even test driven one, but I do have an interest in it, and it's cousin the G35.

I fully understand that platform sharing was necessary to keep the price at its current level, but I would like to know if the Z has been compromised too much to meet the cost target. Is the Enthusiast worth $28,000? The performance is a little lower than expected, and the weight is a little higher, but it still looks like a bargain to me. Am I wrong?

BTW, I am coming from an '01 Celica GT-S, and although it is a front driver, I find the handling and braking to be excellent, but it also weighs 700+ lbs less (2500 lbs). I realize that some of the nimbleness would be lost, but I am in search of more refinement, but I don't want to lose all of the FEEL that I love in the Celica. In fact, I question the whole idea of even trading the Celica, as I still love it.

Thoughts? (BTW - Steve, I am not interested in a BMW ).

-Nick
Old 12-19-2002, 07:01 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?? My Performance is supposed to weight 3217 lbs (per specs I've seen in print) - - Question is, why does the sticker inside the drivers door on my Z say 3815 lbs - - check your doors too, what is up with this??
Old 12-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Sz28r
?? My Performance is supposed to weight 3217 lbs (per specs I've seen in print) - - Question is, why does the sticker inside the drivers door on my Z say 3815 lbs - - check your doors too, what is up with this??
Look at Rai's comments earlier in this thread about Gross Vehicle Weights(GVW).
Old 12-19-2002, 07:21 AM
SiGGy

Originally posted by rai
That's a common mistake. The GVW is the curb weight (all fluids) plus all the cargo (people and stuff)

My S2000 weighs like 2800lbs and has a max cargo of 400 lbs so the gvw might say 3200lbs. The prelude is a 2+2 so it has to be able to carry more weight than 400 lbs. So I think it might be like 3000 + 750 (cargo + passangers) = 3750 lbs.
Yup

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating):
The Maximum permissible weight of the unit, including the UVW plus all fluids, cargo, optional equipment and accessories. For safety and product performance, do not exceed the GVWR.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/definitions.htm

I believe they account 150lbs per person in vehicle. Meaning 300lbs of the GVWR is passengers for the 350z.

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29...comtainf04.pdf

- snip - snip - snip - snip -

The 350z is most certainly a sports car. I can't believe this thread is still going.

350z weighs as much as it does because of cost. They can't produce a 2500lb car with 287hp starting at $27k. It would be challenging without cutting some major corners.

Look how $$ the titanium exhaust is on the Z06 corvette. It it drops like what 17lbs?

Last edited by SiGGy; 12-19-2002 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool - - Thanks, sorry I missed that "gross" thang - - at least I can answer co-workers comments accurately now.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by daSchtick
The Z weighs 3200 lbs, who cares? The real question is how does it feel? I will admit that I do not own a Z, or have even test driven one, but I do have an interest in it, and it's cousin the G35.

I fully understand that platform sharing was necessary to keep the price at its current level, but I would like to know if the Z has been compromised too much to meet the cost target. Is the Enthusiast worth $28,000? The performance is a little lower than expected, and the weight is a little higher, but it still looks like a bargain to me. Am I wrong?

BTW, I am coming from an '01 Celica GT-S, and although it is a front driver, I find the handling and braking to be excellent, but it also weighs 700+ lbs less (2500 lbs). I realize that some of the nimbleness would be lost, but I am in search of more refinement, but I don't want to lose all of the FEEL that I love in the Celica. In fact, I question the whole idea of even trading the Celica, as I still love it.

Thoughts? (BTW - Steve, I am not interested in a BMW ).

-Nick
My choice before ordering tHe Z was an Acura RSX-S; I had already rejected the M3, 330Ci, AudiTT, Corvette, etc. for various reasons and I wanted something that was quick and comfortable. I'm 6'5" and 285, I don't fit everything and I hate SUVs, practicalilty aside. I drove a RSX w/5AT and liked they way you could throw it around and how nimble it was and I FIT w/comfort. I was ready to order an RSX-S, had it all planned out when Nissan started the preorder process.

I started spending more time at NissanDriven.com more than the Acura website. My wife walked by in eary Feb. and saw me looking at the Z. She asked me why didn't I get a Z, we had a 1972 240Z, so I thought about it for about ten minutes and told her we could preorder one, she had already heard about the program and a friend told her if we didn't like it we could sell it for a profit. I ordered the next day.

My point is, I really liked the RSX, even w/160HP; 200hp and a 6spd was just gravy. But the Z is a different animal, its quick and responsive without being ponderous. The S2000's steering, lock to lock, is 2.4 turns, the 350Zs is 2.6 turns lock to lock, pretty close and the Z feels lighter than it is when you drive it. It was like my sister-in-law's 740iL, it drove smaller and lighter than it was at 4200lbs+.

You really have to drive a Z to understand just what I am talking about because you can't just say its 6 or 7 or 800 lbs heavier. It is very nimble and very powerful and that is where the difference lies; the RSX was nimble, quick and fun, but not powerful. Your Toyota is quite similar, I would guess, because its like the RSX, the power comes on late in the powerband, like a 4 wheeled motorcycle almost.

The Z comes into the powerband at 1200rpm w/200lbs of torque and really hits at 5500 to 6600rpms, hard. 3.5 liters of V6 feels more like a V8 at those rpms, its intoxicating and I love it. However, my tastes are not necessarily yours and you need to find out for yourself if the Z is nimble enough for you. It is for me.

Boomer--good hunting.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:54 PM
vshin

One last point, how much does the 911 cost? 4 or 5 times as much as the Z; you want to go really fast? How much money do you have? Why does the Porsche 911 GT2 cost so much? It costs a hell of a lot of money to build a car so fast and make it safe enough to drive it on the street without killing somebody. Every car has limits and so does every driver, you or me need to know any performance car's limits and make sure we are as good as the car.
On a side note, Porsche had serious problems with the GT2 because it's too unstable. The car is so powerful, the company's lead test driver had difficulty controlling the car and refused to approve it due to safety concerns.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Michael-Dallas

If my 300 married my SE-R and had kids, their child would be a 350.

IMO, the 350 has the good qualities that are found in both those cars and then some.

Michael.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Boomer

Default ?

Originally posted by vshin
On a side note, Porsche had serious problems with the GT2 because it's too unstable. The car is so powerful, the company's lead test driver had difficulty controlling the car and refused to approve it due to safety concerns.
This some info I was unaware of, but not really surprised. The handful of articles I read about testing the GT2 were exciting, to say the least, and the drivers said right out front how difficult the car was to drive fast, safely.

They all said novices should not test the GT2's limits because they were so high as to be very dangerous if you made a mistake. No VDC to save you, incredible acceleration and always close to the limit of adhesion at speed and if you lost it, recovery was unlikely.

I am surprised by your info, since they are selling it here now, aren't they? Maybe not. Did Porsche ignore the test driver's conclusions? In reading the tests, I got the feeling only a pro or a very well trained and highly skilled amateur driver could drive the car safely.

Boomer--any reference you could remember would be appreciated. Thanks for the news, one of those choice tidbits of automotive lore that are so intriguing.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:31 PM
integrate

Guys, let's not involve the Porsche here. Don't forget that Porsches are all mid-engine cars and have much better balance. Plus suspension is just simply better.

Last edited by integrate; 12-20-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by integrate
Guys, let's not involve the Porsche here. Don't forget that Porsches are all mid-engine cars and have much better balance. Plus suspension is just simply better.
911's are rear-engine. And when they oversteer, they REALLY oversteer. Imagine a pendulum swinging...

They are harder to drive and require a different kind of driver to be driven effectively.

Michael.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:23 AM
integrate

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
911's are rear-engine. And when they oversteer, they REALLY oversteer. Imagine a pendulum swinging...

They are harder to drive and require a different kind of driver to be driven effectively.

Michael.
They may require a different type of driver...even though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that...driving technique maybe? But, stock for stock, they still handle better than a 350z...there's no doubt about that.

I wouldn't go as far as they REALLY oversteer, but what would you want in a race? Oversteer or understeer?
Old 12-21-2002, 07:36 AM
Elistan

Originally posted by vshin
Actually - not quite. The car you're talking about is actually the Carrera GT, not the 911 GT2. The Carrera GT has a mid-mounted 5.5L V10 engine, with 550hp and a 2800lbs curb weight. To me, it sounds like the driver is simply asking for traction control.

from http://www.drive.com.au
Here's a superhuman sportster
By Joshua Dowling

The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday November 15 2002

The release of Porsche's Carrera GT, which will challenge the $2 million Ferrari Enzo for the title of the world's fastest car, has been delayed because one of its most experienced test drivers says it is too powerful for mere mortals.

Former world rally champion and Porsche test driver Walter Rohrl told Drive the new Porsche supercar is "the first car in my life that I drive and I feel scared".

Despite the awesome performance -- and an expected $1 million pricetag -- most Carrera GTs are said to be spoken for.
Just three Australians have ordered one, but they have told Porsche their cars will be garaged in Europe because the Carrera GT cannot be registered here.

Rohrl, who has been testing the Carrera GT in prototype form for the past three years, said it is so powerful that it spins the rear wheels in each gear up to fifth in its six-ratio box.

Power and acceleration figures are yet to be announced but Rohrl gave a clue to the engine's awesome performance, saying that the 5.5-litre V10 produces 450Nm of torque from as little as 2000rpm.

Overseas reports claim that the engine has a maximum of 450kW and 600Nm and that the engine revs to 9000rpm.

Earlier this year, Rohrl said, the engineering team was about to cancel a day's testing at the famous Nurburgring circuit because of wet weather. But, Rohrl said, when he insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions, he discovered the car's daunting performance.

"I came back into the pits and I was white," Rohrl said. "I immediately said to the engineers that we need one button for the wet and one button for the dry", referring to the need for a traction control switch.

Originally, he said, there were no plans to fit electronic traction control to the Carrera GT but his insistence has forced Porsche to develop a system at late notice.

Porsche is also trying to refine the gearbox -- but getting so many heavy-duty parts to move smoothly and quickly has proved challenging for engineers.

Rohrl says the car will not be released "until it is perfect" and that the maker is under no time pressure to deliver the Carrera GT.

"That is one of the good things about projects like this," he says. "Everyone wants the best and we will do what it takes, as long as it takes, to build the best.

"The car will sell whenever we bring it out."

Since its unveiling in concept car form at the 2000 Paris motor show, the Carrera GT has been on the road frequently as part of Porsche's rigorous testing program and accordingly has often been caught wearing little disguise (above).
The Carrera GT was at the Estoril F1 race track in Portugal last week for dry-weather testing. Rohrl, who was attending a media release for the new Porsche Cayenne 4WD at the time, was on the phone each night to check on the progress of his "baby".

At the Nurburgring, Rohrl tested the car with several tyre combinations and found that the 20-inch Michelin tyres, while excellent in the dry, were more of a handful in the wet than the equivalent Pirellis, on which he was 20 seconds a lap quicker around the 22km circuit.

Porsche has yet to make top speed claims about the Carrera GT but it has been reported that its tyres will be rated to 400kmh because the car is likely to exceed 350kmh.

The current benchmark is the three-seater McLaren F1 road car which recorded a top speed of 386.7kmh set in 1999. But this model has not been in production for four years, leaving the fight open for Porsche and Ferrari.
On paper, an acceleration time of 3.7 seconds for the 0-100kmh sprint is likely for the Carerra GT. Rohrl would not give an estimate.

"We develop the car to be the best we can possibly build and then put a stop watch on it," he said. "We don't come up with a time and say 'this is what we must achieve' because then you have a limit." Porsche plans to build no more than 1000 Carerra GTs (Ferrari is building 399 Enzos) over three years starting from mid-2003, assembling them by hand at the company's Leipzig plant alongside the Cayenne 4WD.

Quick Reply: 350z IS NOT HEAVY