Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stick vs auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stick vs auto

We've all heard of problems with the early Z's tranny but I was wondering were there any less or more problems with the auto trannys? I haven't heard anything bad said about the auto.

All of the issues I heard were mostly about grinding, which means stick, so what about you auto guys?

I imagine not many people get the auto but I'm sure there are a few of you guys.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:47 AM
SteveZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68
We've all heard of problems with the early Z's tranny but I was wondering were there any less or more problems with the auto trannys? I haven't heard anything bad said about the auto.

All of the issues I heard were mostly about grinding, which means stick, so what about you auto guys?

I imagine not many people get the auto but I'm sure there are a few of you guys.
No problem here my auto tranny shifts just fine with no grinding at all I have been driving manual trannys for 30 years. Will be driving manual trannys for the next 30 years (I hope I live that long). Anyway, I'm really impressed with the 5AT in the 350Z, I love it. BTW, I love the 6MT 350Z too.........
Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Sisko99

No extraneous noises in either mode on my 5AT....
Old 07-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Zcarboy

Think the auto trans won't have as much problem as the 6sp only depends on how you drive it.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:07 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 5AT and 2 Friends have the 6MT.

In my honest oppinion the 5AT is a great option for stop and go traffic or long trips where you get fatigued. It is a very performance oriented auto that does not dissapoint when driving agressivly or competing on the street. Full down on the gass immediatly finds the right gear and winds it out. When the tranny shifts it always winds out that gear. The 5 Speed seems to be quicker off the line IMO.

The Down Side;

The Auto will not do a stand still burn out or the ever popular fishtail off the line.

The 5 Speed has a real issue with climbing hills in the 70-90 mph range when driving agressivly; 3rd will be wound out and 4 will have no pull. The 6 Speed will always have more ump on the climb due to better gearing.

Although the Manual mode in the 5AT is very fun and shifts very quickly, you do not have a clutch to feather when cornering, its all or nothing for each gear.

As a sports car lover and driving fan, if i had it to do all over again;
I would have told my wife she will have to make due with a Manual again. (last two cars were 5 speed)
Old 07-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Aggro_Al

This is the first AT that I've owned that I feel performs just as well as an MT. No problems with it yet. Sometimes in traffic or at stops you have to feather the throttle lightly or allow the car in front some extra room depending on how fast traffic is moving because it will want to jump if you give it too much throttle.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:54 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

I was one of the first pre orders for the 350 so I've had my car awhile now. I chose the 5AT because of L.A. traffic that I find myself in constantly. Zero problems so far and when I can have fun with it the manual mode is there.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Sisko99

Yeah..the AT does jump when you first give it gas. I have a lot of speed bumps in my apartment complex, so I'm trying to figure out how to cross the distance between them smoothly before slowing down to roll over.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Sensation350Z

No real problems with my 5AT either.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
This is the first AT that I've owned that I feel performs just as well as an MT........
+1.......

Chad68, I love this AT and would not change my decision at all.....it will allow you to do just about anything you could do with a manual(sensibly).....and it probably has more intelligence/capability than the average driver you run across........

"The Auto will not do a stand still burn out or the ever popular fishtail off the line."....have not tried the standing burnout(leads to maintenance issues)....but have fishtailed off the line, and can lose the back end when I desire.

"....... you do not have a clutch to feather when cornering, its all or nothing for each gear.".......I was always all or nothing into a corner...and my AT can always find the right spot on the torque curve.

"When the tranny shifts it always winds out that gear....".......yes I can wind out the gear if I desire.....I can also induce my AT to shift when I want to.

"The 5 Speed has a real issue with climbing hills in the 70-90 mph range when driving agressivly; 3rd will be wound out and 4 will have no pull. The 6 Speed will always have more ump on the climb due to better gearing.".......never ran across a hill that gave me this problem(My Z loves the Pa Turnpike!!!).

Now.....I may be just a little biased.....but I will say it again......the 5AT probably has more intelligence/capability than the average driver you run across........

Oh yes....and no problems either.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
Now.....I may be just a little biased.....but I will say it again......the 5AT probably has more intelligence/capability than the average driver you run across........

The Z is a sports car........automatics do not belong........the 6MT is there because the people driving this are supposed to experienced drivers who know what gear they are supposed to use. If you want a car to do the thinking for you, buy an SUV.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Low J.
The Z is a sports car........automatics do not belong........the 6MT is there because the people driving this are supposed to experienced drivers who know what gear they are supposed to use. If you want a car to do the thinking for you, buy an SUV.
(awaits Aggro_Al's response to this one... )
Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by yobri
(awaits Aggro_Al's response to this one... )
It's just an opinion ... Don't see anything wrong with it.

Yobri, how's the job search going?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
kpiskin

I've posted on this topic before. Originally I was looking for a 6MT becuase that's what real sports cars should have. When I found a great deal on a 5AT I bought it and haven't looked back. You get extra versatility since you still have a choice of shifting or not, there's no clutch, and the shift program is adaptable to your driving.

Has anyone noticed that when you go from full automatic to tiptronic, the transmission automatically downshifts? I guess it knows you want to drive aggressively:-)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
JoneZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
......the 5AT probably has more intelligence/capability than the average driver you run across........

Originally Posted by Low J.

I rest my case.........
Old 07-20-2005, 10:48 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
Yobri, how's the job search going?
It's going... it's been very overdue...

Thanks for asking bro.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by kpiskin
Has anyone noticed that when you go from full automatic to tiptronic, the transmission automatically downshifts? I guess it knows you want to drive aggressively:-)
When you switch over fron auto-mode to manual-mode it will only downshift to 4th if you are currently in 5th. Otherwise, it just holds the same gear during the switch. The reason it downshifts on 5th gear switch is because the tranny automatically assumes that you wanted to downshift if you were already in top gear. If you were in 5th gear already in auto-mode it wouldn't be necessary to switch to manual-mode to be in 5th. You are already there. Also, you can do the 5-3 shift in two movements instead of three. You might also notice that there is no Overdrive Off Button on the shift lever like there is on a regular AT. Moving the shifter to manual-mode is the way you would prevent the tranny from going into overdrive.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:07 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems with my 03 manny tranny.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 AM
B-Unit

My car exploded cuz i bought a manual and i am now seriously deformed, get the auto...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
superdave2626

My auto tranny works fine and the car is very enjoyable. 31k miles and counting

Quick Reply: Stick vs auto