Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Latest Top Gear: 350z vs TT vs Crossfire (UK Version)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
afr0puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest Top Gear: 350z vs TT vs Crossfire (UK Version)

The newest Top Gear in the UK just had a comparison between the 350z, the audi TT, and the Crossfire. This episode should be available on the usual torrent sites. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll download it tonight. If it's any good, it might be worth hosting for someone with a huge file server.

I doubt this will make the US version of the show.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Mr_Q

maybe Racingflix.com will get it
Old 07-20-2005, 11:42 AM
backagain

if u download it, pm me , i'll host it for a while. the movie format that is.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Alang

Discovery Channel is carrying Top Gear now. It should be viewable stateside soon.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:03 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks for the heads up. i'll be watching it in oh.. a few hours
Old 07-20-2005, 04:17 PM
ppith

According to a few places online, it's supposed to be Wednesdays on the Discovery Channel at 10PM EST (8PM MST). Unfortunately, there's a special Myth Busters on tonight. But it looks like it will be back next week.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
afr0puff

The stuff on the discovery channel is not recent. They are editing bits and pieces from the past three years. And they only show the spectacular stuff. I doubt simple comparos like this will make it to the states. If it does, it won't be for several months.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Glex25

I got my version from NG and the file size is like 700mb.

hey afro i think we should all get together and write em an email asking them to test out a G35.
I still havent seen em test one.

I already sent em my email yesterday is enough people request i gues they would do it
Old 07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
afr0puff

I think they only test cars that you can drive in the UK. The G35 isn't availble. And Clarckson will probably go on and on about how its not a real "skyline" since it will probably be badged a nissan there.

It's quite a large segment on the comparison. I'll convert it to .wmv to get it to a smaller file size. Those that want the high quality version can just download the entire episode. Anyway, I'm sure the Z owners won't be too pleased by what they have to say... again. The comparison was almost retarded since the Z shouldn't be classified with those two cars.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already have it... don't bother unless you want to watch the superb Ferrari 430 (coupe & spyder) review.

The roadster comparison basically amounts to
1) Richard Hammond loves the Z
2) Jeremy Clarkson starts out loving the Audi, but determines the Crossfire is the best of this bunch because it is almost as good as the others for less money.
3) James May starts out liking the Crossfire (cushy ride and styling), but change his mind and decides he likes the Audi better even though more expensive.
4) Jeremy bashing heavily on the Z Roadster (including discounting it based on color... DUH... review the car, not the color... you can always buy one of the other 7 colors offered, moron!)
5) All three agree none of these roadsters are spectacular and, if you want a sports car roadster you should buy one that was designed as a roadster from the get-go (like an S2000).

Again, the Ferrari review is great, but the roadster comparison is rubbish. Seems like the 'news' portion had a few entertaining items as well, but I don't recall exactly what off the top of my head.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:42 AM
tekk

the news portion had the nismo 350z and a little chit chat about the r34.
the f430 review was great though... overall cinematography was good too.
i think it was a good episode... if youre into all kinds of cars you'll definitely be able to appreciate it
Old 07-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Maelstrom

Jeremy typically bashes Nissans because well... they're Nissan. Not much substance to it really so I don't really pay attention to him when he talks about a Nissan. Although I do agree with what he said in the news which was Nissan needs put more time into getting a new Skyline out. He actually said that the R34 was a great car which is completely out of character for him to do.

i typically get my episodes from mininova.org and they're up pretty fast
Old 07-21-2005, 09:16 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

5) All three agree none of these roadsters are spectacular and, if you want a sports car roadster you should buy one that was designed as a roadster from the get-go (like an S2000).
That's an ignorgant statement on their part...Almost every vehicle model that has a convertible counterpart designed in the last 10 years was done so "from the get-go" with that fact in mind, certainly including the Z and Audi.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Kaitain

For the most part I love this show but the constant America bashing gets old. It's funny that they now have a version especially made for us Yanks in which they don't spout their anti-American vitriol and they convert British pounds to American dollars.

Jeremy Clarkson, the lead presenter, seems to be the worst of the lot. While I find him hugely entertaining to watch; he just doesn't seem to have very good taste. He actually called the Crossfire beautiful and in an earlier review of the 350Z called the car ugly.

The 350 is ugly and the Crossfire is gorgeous? The dude is insane.

Speaking of that earlier review, he actually gets the 350Z out on a beautifully twisty road and then doesn't DRIVE the car. I mean he is in it and is holding the steering wheel while moving forward but he doesn't bother to DRIVE the car. He basically says, "I don't like this car so I'm not going to bother learning about the car's handling or power."

At one point he mashes the gas pedal down while in 6th gear and going maybe 30mph and says the car's engine is disappointing. It’s things like that that make me discount a lot of his opinions.

Regardless of that; I love the show.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Mr_Q

That's true about Jeremy not really driivng the car...but later the STIG threw it around the test track and recorded a pretty good score. Shut Jeremy up.

Besides, former Top Gear host and now 5th Gear host AND a former REAL racing driver, Tif Needle, LOVES the Z!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
afr0puff

So much for putting this online... Damn near 30 minutes long. You're better off just downloading the entire episode.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
mcduck

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Jeremy typically bashes Nissans because well... they're Nissan. Not much substance to it really so I don't really pay attention to him when he talks about a Nissan. Although I do agree with what he said in the news which was Nissan needs put more time into getting a new Skyline out. He actually said that the R34 was a great car which is completely out of character for him to do.

i typically get my episodes from mininova.org and they're up pretty fast
Actually, they did a review of the Murano recently and they all liked it (except from the chrome "toothy" looking grille). I'm not sure if Jeremey has something against the Z specifically, but from what I can tell he doesn't single out Nissans. I've seen good reviews for some, bad for others... the new Z has always fallen into the bad category for him.

On another note, they did a "drag race" and "rally race" as part of their deciding factors on this week's Top Gear. Of course, these were done on a beach and fine lava rock surfaces. So grip was a huge issue. Naturally, the Audi had a big advantage. Repeat these tests on pavement and the Z would have cleanly won all the performance tests.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
mcduck

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
That's an ignorgant statement on their part...Almost every vehicle model that has a convertible counterpart designed in the last 10 years was done so "from the get-go" with that fact in mind, certainly including the Z and Audi.
not really... while they may have been thinking a convertible model would be made, most cars (Z & Audi included) are designed as a hard top (in this case a coupe) and then that design is re-engineered to be a convertible.

For other cars (S2000, Porsche Boxter), the initial design is a convertible. In such cases, the body can be designed to be more rigid from the beginning, requiring less reinforcement of the car when the top is removed.

I don't agree with Top Gear's sweeping assessment for the car's examined, but I definitely agree a car designed as a roadster from the start has an advantage over a car created as a coupel with the option for a roadster model.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
mcduck

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
That's true about Jeremy not really driivng the car...but later the STIG threw it around the test track and recorded a pretty good score. Shut Jeremy up.

Besides, former Top Gear host and now 5th Gear host AND a former REAL racing driver, Tif Needle, LOVES the Z!
Tif is a better driver, but not as entertaining show host. I'd rather watch Top Gear over Fifth Gear every day of the week.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Kaitain

Oh yeah, I watched an episode of Fifth Gear, that Tif guy was blander than milk toast but I also noticed he could actually drive the cars and didn't need a "real" driver to get the best times out of the cars.

I did like how they had a hot woman drive one of the bad azz cars. She drove it so far over the limits the emergency roll bar popped up when she was going around a corner. Now that's a real woman!

Quick Reply: Latest Top Gear: 350z vs TT vs Crossfire (UK Version)