Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do squealing tires mean I"m at or approaching the limit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What are some good tire's to look at for folks that take a lot of twisties agressivly several times a week while still using the car as a daily driver?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Amnbex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sq40
What are some good tire's to look at for folks that take a lot of twisties agressivly several times a week while still using the car as a daily driver?
Michelin Pilot Sport PS/2.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 PM
tmb

Originally Posted by sq40
You are from West Virginia where it gets cold,snowey,etc.

I replaced my Potenza's with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S because of where I live.

On a hot,dry day like we have been having lately, the Potenza's grip much better on the turns than the Michelin's but when it rains or worse, you won't be afraid to drive the car.

My comment is objective since I live near the disapearing tobacco farm area where there are LOTS of twisty roads that I know like the back of my hand.

I have my favorite test curve (it has a "30 MPH" sign on it) and I was hitting 65 ish on that curve with the Re040's without feeling like I was going to break loose. Hot,dry, summer day conditions.
Best I have been able to muster with the Michelins is 62 (and still feel in control)
Old 07-28-2005, 06:38 PM
MADDOG`

One other thing to consider. You need to track your cold and hot tire pressures. Do this 2 or 3 days in a row and especially check your pressures after a long run on a hot day.

Your tires will probably "grow" their pressures up by 4 to 8 psi depending on speed, duration of speed and temperature of the road surface.

Imagine having aired up to 38 to 40 psi when the tires are cold, then having them "grow" by 6 to 8 psi more as they heat up in spirited driving. That's 44 to 48 psi which is a bit high. You may be over inflated.

Conversely, you may have aired up to 35 psi cold and the tires haven't heated up yet. They will squeal as they roll over on the side strips a bit.

Read your tires after a spirited run in the canyons and see if you have any wear across the crown but not the shoulders or at the shoulders and onto the "diamonds" (where the tread pattern stops on the sidewall) just within a 1/4" or so of the sidewall. If you tire is worn in the center, you are over inflated. If you are rolling on the shoulder past the diamonds, you are under inflated.
Let us know what you find!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the fun of it:

TPMS showed 51 psi at MidOhio.
Gauge showed 44 psi in the pits...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:44 PM
heezyo2o

Originally Posted by MADDOG`
Read your tires after a spirited run in the canyons and see if you have any wear across the crown but not the shoulders or at the shoulders and onto the "diamonds" (where the tread pattern stops on the sidewall) just within a 1/4" or so of the sidewall. If you tire is worn in the center, you are over inflated. If you are rolling on the shoulder past the diamonds, you are under inflated.

Let us know what you find!
My tires are at 35psi cold, and they are checked rather frequently. Don't know how accurate the tire pressure monitor is, but they read 40-42psi after a run. Which is up from around 34-36 before the run.

I'd like to get back to you, but not exactly sure how to check how the tires are wearing. Should I mark them first?

Last edited by heezyo2o; 07-28-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple way to tell if you need new tires...
If your tires start to look like drag slicks, you might want to change em .