Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

first person to crash a Z.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Stillen350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first person to crash a Z.

I believe i am now the first person in America to crash a brand new 350Z. I crashed it on September 27th. Roughly 28 hours after i had got the car on September 26th. I was taking a friend through a neighborhood that was pretty open to show him the car. I had just hit 3rd gear and i was not to familiar with the neighborhood but my friend assured me that the road kept going straight for atleast another half mile. Well at about 5000rpm in 3rd gear i noticed that the road turned 90 degrees left and there was a wall of trees, by this time i was at about 80mph i believe. I slammed on the brakes and i remember seeing my SLIP warning going off but i couldnt stop nearly in time. I smashed through the trees and landed in someone's drive way. I don't know how but i magically fit between 3 trees and didn't hit one. One tree his my left driver side door and scrapped the fender almost off, and the other tree hit my right side mirror and broke it off. I don't know how i was so lucky to just slide right through but when i was in the driveway everything was ok, there were no broken windows and the front lights were still on and the music was still playing. After about 5 minutes of sitting in shock, not saying a word. I tried to drive it out on to the main road. I did and got out and i had ripped almost the entire front undercarrage out and smashed the front fascia. I had got lots of scraps on the car especially from the tree. I was leaking engine coolant and washer fluid everywhere. I had the car towed to the dealership and it took a month to fix just b.c they needed to order the parts, but now i have it back. After $9,000 in damage to it. I have to say though i was very impressed by how the Z remained straight and didnt loose control when i slammed the brakes on, and i was impressed at how the z body held up from such an impact on the branches that were on the ground. So yeah as for as i know i am the first person to wreck a Z car. Looking back now i cant believe how stupid i was and how lucky i was it wasnt worse. Oh well....i guess you live and learn.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:21 PM
chazzg

did your air bags go off? do you have the side air bags? did you cry i think i would have
Old 12-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Duck

Well you seem to be the first to crash your car but I was first to get in a accident on this board it seems :P Though its not a honor Id like to have
Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 PM
Stillen350z

No the air bags didnt go off because the front impact wasnt that great, all i hit in the front was some brush on the ground which just messed up the bottom like i said. So no air bags came out. The wierd thing was though, after i crashed it first thing i did was actually start kind of mildly laughing in disbelief. Then i got out of the car and was ready to cry when the true reality set in.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Old Skooler

Have you broken your "friend's" ribs yet?
Old 12-10-2002, 05:07 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: first person to crash a Z.

Originally posted by Stillen350z
I was taking a friend through a neighborhood that was pretty open to show him the car. I had just hit 3rd gear and i was not to familiar with the neighborhood but my friend assured me that the road kept going straight for atleast another half mile. Well at about 5000rpm in 3rd gear i noticed that the road turned 90 degrees left and there was a wall of trees,
I don't know if you're the first to crash one, but my daddy used to tell me "with friends like that, who needs enemies?"
Old 12-10-2002, 08:08 PM
hk350

I believe i am now the first person in America to crash a brand new 350Z. I crashed it on September 27th. Roughly 28 hours after i had got the car on September 26th. I was taking a friend through a neighborhood that was pretty open to show him the car. I had just hit 3rd gear and i was not to familiar with the neighborhood but my friend assured me that the road kept going straight for atleast another half mile. Well at about 5000rpm in 3rd gear i noticed that the road turned 90 degrees left and there was a wall of trees, by this time i was at about 80mph i believe. I slammed on the brakes and i remember seeing my SLIP warning going off but i couldnt stop nearly in time. I smashed through the trees and landed in someone's drive way. I don't know how but i magically fit between 3 trees and didn't hit one. One tree his my left driver side door and scrapped the fender almost off, and the other tree hit my right side mirror and broke it off. I don't know how i was so lucky to just slide right through but when i was in the driveway everything was ok, there were no broken windows and the front lights were still on and the music was still playing. After about 5 minutes of sitting in shock, not saying a word. I tried to drive it out on to the main road. I did and got out and i had ripped almost the entire front undercarrage out and smashed the front fascia. I had got lots of scraps on the car especially from the tree. I was leaking engine coolant and washer fluid everywhere. I had the car towed to the dealership and it took a month to fix just b.c they needed to order the parts, but now i have it back. After $9,000 in damage to it. I have to say though i was very impressed by how the Z remained straight and didnt loose control when i slammed the brakes on, and i was impressed at how the z body held up from such an impact on the branches that were on the ground. So yeah as for as i know i am the first person to wreck a Z car. Looking back now i cant believe how stupid i was and how lucky i was it wasnt worse. Oh well....i guess you live and learn.
sorrie to hear about ur car. tat just sucks, hey at least its fixed and running solid again .GOOD luck
Old 12-10-2002, 08:08 PM
hk350

and o ya, wat model and color is ur z?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:36 PM
Stillen350z

Black - touring.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:05 PM
JZC

A truck hit me in the side doing 40mph, curtain air bags and seat air bags came out...

I had shards of glass in me (shattered window) and some bumps and bruises but I was fine.

When I got out and saw my Z I almost puked, seriously.

I got her fixed in a month and a half though.

Can't even tell I messed her up.

Had to replace driver side door, airbags, front fender, that's it.

GETTING THE WINDOW REGULATOR WAS A *****!!!

On a downside, they shipped a seat with no air bags so until I get the proper seat I'm airbagless.

Paint job was superb, matches exactly.

Still drives the same too, that's what I was most afraid of.

No difference what so ever.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:25 PM
spf4000

I'm sorry about your accident, but pushing the car on an unknown road wasn't the smartest thing to do, was it? Be careful out there, I don't want to hear about the first person to be killed in a Z.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:38 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 1972 I picked up my brand new Cougar from the dealer.
About a mile or so from the dealer a light started to change just as I & the car in front of me approached the intersection.

I thought both cars would go thru the intersection & looked down to fiddle with the great stero. Car in front stopped; I didn't. Bang.

Took the car back to the dealer, just said "fix it", walked out & called family to get me.

Lord, I was POed with myself.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Stillen350z

no sorry, i wasn't in a very picture taking mood when i saw my car.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Mr Fairlady

WOW,..I'm just suprised that you we're "gettin on it" 28hrs after you bought it,...I guess no break-in time for that ride,.
or where you just takin your friend through one gear or two and it ended up taking him through some trees?hahah

Well,...glad to know the people we're ok,..I've done that same **** but Landed on a Tree and a mailbox!!hahah
Old 12-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your Z. You weren't the first to crash his Z though. Someone on the board totaled his Z in a bad crash that also caused the air bags to deploy. He was injured, but not too seriously; out of the hospital in 1 day. The Z held up fairly well for such a serious accident.

Here is a link to the threads with a picture:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=Durango

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=crash+airbag

Last edited by Intrepid; 12-15-2002 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:37 PM
dmcgibbo

when i went to the dealership they had a guy that bought a lemans sunset Z and his son crashed it THAT day by speeding and spinning out and being hospitalized and that was back in early september. what idiots. i would disown my son if he took my brand new $35k car and recklessly drove it...
Old 12-16-2002, 09:08 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Originally posted by Intrepid
Sorry to hear about your Z. You weren't the first to crash his Z though. Someone on the board totaled his Z in a bad crash that also caused the air bags to deploy. He was injured, but not too seriously; out of the hospital in 1 day. The Z held up fairly well for such a serious accident.
I believe Jeremy was the first person to "total" a Z. His accident happened on or about 10/30, which is obviously after Stillen350z's accident on 9/27.
Attached Thumbnails first person to crash a Z.-totaled.jpg  
Old 12-16-2002, 04:42 PM
MikeyDNY

I was taking a friend through a neighborhood that was pretty open to show him the car . . . Looking back now i cant believe how stupid i was and how lucky i was it wasnt worse. Oh well....i guess you live and learn.
You're right . . . you are stupid. I have no idea why anyone feels sorry for you. Although unlikely, I only hope that you had to pay the 9k yourself. Just think that if you had hit and killed someone, you would have had to work the rest of your life (I highly doubt you are well educated so I doubt you could ever pay it off) to pay off the liability incurred after a lawsuit. Not to mention facing charges for vehicular homicide. Enjoy your Z . . .

Quick Reply: first person to crash a Z.