Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Okay I'm SCARED to death..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:25 PM
slay2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay I'm SCARED to death..

I love the Z. The more I read about it the more I want it, and the more I lean towards early-cancellation on my '02 Altima lease..

I'm getting VERY ready to BUY, or finance, the Z.

I have NIGHTMARES about the Z! Driving it in snow ?! Alright, I can invest in some winter Blizzak's or all-season Michelin's..

But - taking it to downtown Newark, NJ (Rutgers) for the next YEAR AND PARKING IT THERE DURING CLASSES ? I'm going to lose my mind if I have to worry about it's safety all the time!

How can I feel good about a car if I can't practically TAKE it anywhere for daily tasks ?! A quick run to the store for groceries may turn into a hassle rather than a joy ride... I'm turning into a schizophreniac just THINKING about it...

I suppose the thing that scares me the most is the daily college commute. Newark has gotten itself a reputation for being one of the "less clean", to put nicely, towns in the area.

How could I justify taking a $33,000+ car into such a neighborhood on a daily basis and leaving it in the college's parking areas during classes ?

Someone please help me rationalize this. As much as I want the car, I don't want to have evil things happen to it =|

Hmmmm.... the thought of a reserved garage enters the mind.

Help! Pwease =0
Old 12-10-2002, 11:51 PM
ColecatZ

nice vagina................

hee hee ....just kidding. You'll kick yourself,,,,,later if you let it get to you. I haven't seen snow, c'mon it's Texas, but wet weather traction is far superior to the older z's. I'm sure snow is different, but we all survive. Ballz out.....summer will be here soon..

hard to describe driving a 350, even after driving pretty much all the "z" family........true to the heritage while being a real "surprise you by the nutz, what did you expect " kind of ride.

Should be enjoyed by all........

Last edited by ColecatZ; 12-10-2002 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:37 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip the Touring or Track model & go with a cheaper version- used the extra few grand you save to buy a beater. Also don't forget to budget a few grand for insurance...

You'll end up spending more for two cars, but I've found it is defintely worth it.

Of course I didn't bother with any of this stuff until I was out of college- but that was my situtation...

-Ethan
Old 12-11-2002, 04:18 AM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Blizzaks. I have them and the car is better then my Integra GSR ('96-'99) was in the snow. Would you buy a beater for an Integra? So why for a Z? Dont treat it like an exotic. It is a Nissan. Enjoy the hell out of it. Hell, I drove my '94 Porsche 968 all year round (from '99-'02) and had no problems. Just dont go out in a huge snow storm and you will be fine.
Other problem.
Dont worry about taking your car places. Now it is a hot car, yes, but in a few months there will be more out there. Most people just want to see the car and will look at it...maybe you will get a few finger prints on the windows.
You would think that I would be more worried about driving and parking the Porsche then the Integra, but the Integra was broken into three times in three years. The Porsche, zero times in 3 years. I'm not sure what the theft rate will be for the Z, but no need to worry about it.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:53 AM
qirex

Hmmm

Im a physician at UMDNJ Newark. I've only had my Z for 6 weeks. The reality of the sutuation is that Insurance exists for a reason and "ALL things will come to pass" If you understand in yopur mind that everything material and emotional will eventually change...you'll have an easier time. Dont stress about what you cant control.

That said, I leave my Z in the MSB covered lot. I've heard of cars getting stolen out of the DOC lot however.

FWIW, My 97 Honda Prelude NEVER had a problem parked outside in the MSB lot for 2 1/2 years.

Lastly, my advice to you? WAIT!!! Keep your altima.

Unless you have topns of $$$$ the Z is gonna hurt your bank.

First of all - the car is UNDRIVEABLE (as in it does not *go*) in the snow.

Then consider keeping it in tires. I guess you *could* get some blizzaks.

For me the only reason I have a Z is b/c my prelude's time had *almost* come and I'm finishing my residency and will be moving to warmer climates in 6 months (much warmer).
Old 12-11-2002, 06:51 AM
cotmfk

I would agree to hold onto the Altima until you are done with college. College parking lots are notorious for dings, dents, hit and run, and break ins. It's not some place you want to put a nice car. While I agree the Z is not an exotic, it is still a nice car. If it is kept up, it will be a nice car for a long time!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:05 AM
abz123

I think you have already answered your own questions. If you have this many fears, then you know getting a Z NOW is not for you. The Altima is a nice car. Hang on to it until you get out of college and save your money.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:11 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I'm all for keeping your current ride until you graduate. It's always best to keep your expenses to a minimun during that time so you can focus on school and not have to worry as much about getting all your bills paid.

The Z is an alluring car, but it will still be here when you finish school. And that way you won't have to worry about door dings and jealous college students harming you car while you're taking a final exam.

Save your money and get it for yourself as a graduation present. Good things come to those who are patient.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:01 AM
slay2k

Default hmm

Thanks for the replies everyone, I welcome your input.

Qirex, what do you mean "covered lot" ? You put a cover on your Z when you leave it in the lot ? Thanks for your input, it means alot considering you are ON LOCATION in Newark =)

And waiting is indeed sound advice... I just don't want to wait 27 months for my next car!! And in a year, I'll just "waste" another $3,564 in lease payments... and then another $3,564 unless I cancel... so why not just cancel now and get myself a GOOD car ?

As for the rest of you guys suggesting I keep my existing lease... I think the car's alright... the only thing I'm starting to really REALLY dislike (hate actually) is the 4 cylinders..

I'm actually considering just switching it to a 6cyl Altima for a year or two... at least that wouldn't **** me off as much as driving a slow car =|

And the reason I'm actually considering the switch is because if i DONT switch I'll still be shelling out $300 a month ($320 if you count the down payment)! That's some serious cash for a car I don't REALLY like to drive too much...

So why not upgrade ? I wonder if it'd make sense to upgrade to a less-expensive 6cylinder car like the 3.5SE version of the Altima maybe... or if that's just dumb.

Thanks again everone,

-slay
Old 12-11-2002, 10:04 AM
slay2k

Question Early Termination for sake of the Z ?

Here's an important decision that I have to make..

I'm currently 12.5 months into my Nissan 2002 Altima SE lease (4 cylinder, stick) and am heavily considering the Z as an upgrade.

My payments for the Altima are as follows:

-----------------------------------------------
$1000 down, $297 a month x 39 months

Total Paid: $4,564
Total Remaining: $8,019 (27 months)
Total cost of lease: $12,583

Now for the Z I will make a comparison to the cost of ownership for the SAME remaining 27 months (before my Altima expires):

It goes something like this:

Total MSRP price: $31,537 + 6% NJ Tax (If Bought)
Total with tax: $33,429

PURCHASE Scheme:

- Early termination on Altima: $1,500

- Complete purchase of car
- Sold after 27 months at say, 35% depreciation, for $20,500.
- ESTIMATED losses over 27 months = $1,500 + $12,929 = $14,429

LEASING Scheme:

- Early termination on Altima: $1,500

- Down payment for lease: $2,000
- LEASING FOR 36 MONTHS (15k miles/yr) at $531/month ($499/mo + 6% tax on 57% of MSRP price, sound right ?)
- ESTIMATED loss after 27 months = $1,500 + $2,000 + $14,337 = $17,837

PURCHASING here seems to save $3,408 over LEASING after 27 months, if my math is about right.

So for sake of comparison to my Altima lease, I have 27 months remaining at $297, that's $8,019. If I cancel now and BUY a new Z instead, it will cost me $14,429 for 27 months of ownership.

$14,429 - $8,019 = $6,410

So does it look right ? A $6,410 difference for the thrill of driving a Z for 27 months ? That's about $237 extra per month. Plus being short $33.5k in the bank.. but I should be able to put the money together somehow, with family help.

Put yourself in my shoes... you're tired of the 4 cyl performance of your car, although its BEARABLE... but the thought of another 27 months (over 2 years) makes you wanna vomit. What would YOU do ? I'm actually thinking of possibly just upgrading to a 6cyl version of the same or similar kind of car ? Is that nuts considering the cancellation fee ? ARGH.

-slay
Old 12-11-2002, 10:44 AM
themyst

Well, i traded in a 2001 celica and took a pretty sizable hit on the value to get a Z. I may be somewhat hurting financially, but the drive to work is worth every penny... I guess it all depends on where your priorities lie.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:45 AM
WayneTN

Default Count yourself lucky now.

Keep the Altima 4-cyl. Apparently the lease agreement made sense when you signed up for it. Don't worry about your car while you are in college; worry about college!

I drove a '54 flathead Plymouth and a '63 Plymouth Valiant when I went to college. (OK. So I'm older and they were 6 cylinder cars.......and it was up hill through the snow.........both directions.........) If I had had the equivalent of an Altima, I would have worried about that! I think you are lucky as it is, having a decent, reliable car so you can get a good education.

Go figure..........you do the math..........
WayneTN
Old 12-11-2002, 10:59 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

We don't need two separate threads here do we?

Threads combined.

-Ethan
Old 12-11-2002, 11:00 AM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pay the 3400 more for the lease. I'll tell you why. First of all, if you are in the right type of business, you can write off the lease payments. Next, you can invest the money that you would have spent up front. As well, you are taking a risk when purchasing the car, but not leasing. When leasing, youknow up fron how much everythign will cost you. If you purchase the car, what will happen when you get into an accident? Your car is now worth much less then you anticipated it would be worth. Leasing is better for some people and purchasing is the better option for others. It also depends heavily on your lease rates. I know millionairs who could easily pay for their cars, but they choose to lease.
Purchasing is a much better option if you plan to keep the car for a long time, but other then that, I'm all for leasing (as long as the rate is reasonable).
Old 12-11-2002, 11:06 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Default Re: Early Termination for sake of the Z ?

Don't spend all your $ on a car- you're still going to need lots of dough if you don't want to live with mommy & daddy after graduation.

-Ethan
Old 12-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Turcoupe

Slay2K,

Defnitely get the Z! Who cares about taking the hit...I am 22 and a senior at Stockton College (south jersey) and I will be going to Rutgers Camden for law school for the next 4 years. I sold my 2001 firebird that I had spent $40,400 alltogether on for $21,000 to order a Z! It only had 1,800 miles on it because I was so **** with it (never drove it to school, and almost everywhere else). Ihave vowed to myself that I will not make this mistake again. Now, I have a 1990 Ford Probe that I use as a daily driver to school/work. That or another beater will defnitely be used for Rutgers, right? I mean that is not being ****, just smart. I would get no enjoyment by driving the Z 100 miles back and forth to Rutgers. As far as any other trip (with the exception of inclement weather) the Z will definitely be used.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:54 PM
slay2k

Well Turcoupe,

I certainly don't wish to pay extra money and insurance for a "Beater" car to drive to school daily..

Then what the hell's the point of buying the car if I won't be driving it the 20 miles to school everyday and keep it sitting at my house. I don't want to pay $600+ a month for a sitting duck car. I want to drive it daily, put performance A/S tires on it, and drive it hard.

With regards to the individual who brought up leasing as a better choice - what if I want to invest $800 into Pilot all-season tires ? I kinda lose alot on that investment at the end of the lease, and I can't touch the car in any other way should I want to, either =0

Thanks again for the thoughts.

-slay
Old 12-11-2002, 02:57 PM
WayneTN

Default legal advice?

Turcoupe pondered and wrote, in part
Defnitely get the Z! Who cares about taking the hit...I am 22 and a senior at Stockton College (south jersey) and I will be going to Rutgers Camden for law school
Slay2K,

Who cares about taking the hit? Obviously, it's not Turcoupe! You may not be as well off financially off as he is either (he's off to law school, you know). Consider your finances closely, as you appear to be doing. You don't want a poor decision now to weigh you down in 3-4 years. No offense to Turcoupe, but in my humble opinion, you received poor "legal advice" from him.

I say, don't paint yourself into a corner. Get yourself a new car as a graduation present when you get your career started. There may even be a Z (or another car) that you like better by then! Always keep your options open or you will always be limited.

WayneTN
Old 12-11-2002, 04:29 PM
donoharm

Slay2K,

Live in the present and buy the car!

Delayed gratification is a myth. Do you think it would be the same driving the Z when you grauduate from college than driving it now?

Remember, you only live once. It's up to you to live large or tiny. Just follow your heart! Work hard and study hard and reward yourself with a Z. 10 yrs from now, when $3K doesn't mean a thing to you, you'll be glad you take my advice today.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:35 PM
vshin

Slay2K-

You are stressing over the Z because it will be a major purchase for you and you don't want anything bad happen to it. Now if you insist on using your car as a daily driver, you MUST accept the fact that it will eventually get door dings, scratches, and other signs of wear and tear. I'm not saying don't get the Z, but think of it this way:

Are you heading towards a career that will provide a relatively high income in the future (lawyer, doctor, investment banker)? If so, then get the Z and don't stress over it since when it becomes beat down in 8 years or so, you will be able to afford something much better to replace it. So enjoy it now and have fun while you are still young. Not many people get to do this.

If you're not sure how lucrative your future looks, then I would not get the Z because you will obsess over this thing and it will ruin any fun you will have driving this car. Every scratch will tear a hole in your soul; every ding will break off a piece of your heart. And in the end you will regret spending so much on something that caused you so much pain.

Quick Reply: Okay I'm SCARED to death..