Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

OFFICIAL NISSAN RESPONSE: Front-End Alignment Warranty Extension

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM
doreamon50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do they measure your tire tread from if you have stock tire on?? the outer side of the tire on the car???

If my tire only have about 5/32 left I know won't have to pay for the new tire if they gonna replaced it this time. but what if they just do another alignment for me and not replace the tire. are they gonna try to get my tire under 4/32 and make me pay for part of the tire???

how do the dealer determine if we are gonna get new tires anyways

Last edited by doreamon50; 08-09-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:00 PM
doreamon50

Guys I just called nissan Consumer Affair, and what they told me is the extended warrenty is only for alignment. They won't replace the tire, the represenative said that nissan didn't make the tire, so they can't give warrenty for the tire. Just wanna let you guys know they might just don't another alignment for us and not replacing them..
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
shortbus1981

They measure it from the outer most part of the tire, where the most tread should be.

If you have uneven wear on the tires, they should not only fix the alignment but also replace and prorate the tires.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
shortbus1981

Originally Posted by doreamon50
Guys I just called nissan Consumer Affair, and what they told me is the extended warrenty is only for alignment. They won't replace the tire, the represenative said that nissan didn't make the tire, so they can't give warrenty for the tire. Just wanna let you guys know they might just don't another alignment for us and not replacing them..
That's total BS. The damn TSB says they will replace/prorate the tire. It's not a tire manufacturer thing. It's the fact that Nissan didnt setup the front end properly.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
doreamon50

Yea thats what I told the guy in nissan conusmer affair, and he asked for my number, and someone from another department is going to call me back about tire replacement request.
it looks like we'll have to fight for our tires to get it replace.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Hyru

if that letter thing is what Nissan is going by... it CLEARLY STATES that "Nissan will replace the front tires as determined to be necessary by formal repair criteria subject to the pro ration schedule described below..." etc etc...

If the Nissan rep is telling you that this is only for alignment, tell him thats not what it says on the letter.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
shortbus1981

Originally Posted by Hyru
if that letter thing is what Nissan is going by... it CLEARLY STATES that "Nissan will replace the front tires as determined to be necessary by formal repair criteria subject to the pro ration schedule described below..." etc etc...

If the Nissan rep is telling you that this is only for alignment, tell him thats not what it says on the letter.

Exactly....we have it in writing, which is legally binding. I dont give a rats *** what the consumer affairs guy said. He's full if ****.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Hyru

Just got off the phone with NNA consumers affair lady.
She seemed pretty nic eabout it and went through the letter and pretty much plain out said that YES WE SHOULD REPLACE YOUR TIRES IF YOU HAVE FEATHERING ISSUES, DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH TIRE LIFE IS LEFT WILL DETERMINE HOW MUCH YOU WILL PAY.
The Alignment should ALSO be done.
From my experience, you have to SPOON FEED these idiots the words. Otherwise they wont understand and will go by their own terms.

If youd like to speak to the same lady I spoke to.. her extension number at consumers affairs is 8423... her name is Jamilla.

go get em
Old 08-09-2005, 02:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gto88
How many miles do you have on your tires.
Your dealer promise to replace your tire just on the phone call?
I thought that they have to inspect them.
I only have 12,000 miles on my tires.

Here's the long story...

In November of last year, I had about 6,000 miles when I brought my 2004 in for the feathering. They did the front end alignment and cross rotated the front tires. Jump ahead to 2 months ago...

I wrote a nice letter to the service manager and explained that I had Version 1 of the fix for 2004 Zs but the problem had returned. I made it quite clear that I was very familiar with the feathering problem, I knew how to spot it and that I definitely had it again.

Several weeks ago, she called me to explain that there was a new district rep. for our area and she was waiting for the new rep. to get on the job and she would bring it up with him. She already knew that Nissan was not authorizing new tires for 2004 cars. I told her I wasn't going to waste time bringing it in if they weren't going to have a solution. She also admitted to me that I was not the only '04 owner having the problem locally.

When I saw this letter last night, I printed a copy and planned on calling her today. She had just got the official letter from NNA when I called. She knows that my car has the problem, she just has to go through the official process of submitting the claim. She read off the list of "conditions" and I meet all of them. For example, you must have the OEM tires, wheels and suspension components, correct tire pressure. Yeah, they have to inspect them but it's just a formality at this point.

To answer your other question, I have a small machinist rule that measures in 32nds. It has a sliding "T" that is perpendicular to the length of the rule. It's used to measure depth by sticking the rule down a hole (or into my tire tread) while the "T" bar rests against the surface of the tire.

Or, you can go buy a little tire tread gauge from Autozone, etc.

Dave
Old 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
bcheng4jc

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/new...08120855.shtml

tires should be replaced according to nissan, that consumer affairs person is wrong unless i interepreted this statement wrong....
Old 08-09-2005, 07:26 PM
gto88

DavesZ#3,
Thanks for the detailed.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Hyru

Originally Posted by bcheng4jc
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/new...08120855.shtml

tires should be replaced according to nissan, that consumer affairs person is wrong unless i interepreted this statement wrong....
Well, if youre going by THIS specific statement...

"Nissan is extending the warranty for front-end alignment due to tire noise until 36 months from the in-service date or October 31, 2005 (whichever is later) and unlimited mileage for 2003 350Z models, and to 36 months and unlimited mileage on 2004 350Z models. The warranty extension ensures all owners will receive an effective repair, including in some circumstances replacement of their front tires with the new tire design, if they experience tire noise during the extended warranty period."

Its pretty much saying alignment 1st, and if the problem occurs, in SOME circumstances replaced tires.

HOWEVER, if youre going by the letter that Nissan has sent out, its a different story.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:57 PM
NzZ

Typical Nissan crap..acting like they're taking care of their customers while really giving them the shaft. So if we want decent tire wear we have to stick to the insanely priced, poor performing (esp in wet), and short-lived RE040s.

Also, how ridiculous is it that tires must be redesigned to accomodate a single car? What assurances do we have that such tires will produced in the future? I can promise you that Nissan will soon get rid of the infamous RE040 and the Z's design flaw, whatever it may be.

Another issue is that the Nissan dealers' prices on the RE040s will be extremely high, which works out great for their prorating scheme.

Sorry guys, but this great gesture from Nissan fails to move me...and it should underwhelm you as well.

NzZ
Old 08-10-2005, 06:46 AM
sujo16

Originally Posted by NzZ
Typical Nissan crap..acting like they're taking care of their customers while really giving them the shaft. So if we want decent tire wear we have to stick to the insanely priced, poor performing (esp in wet), and short-lived RE040s.

Also, how ridiculous is it that tires must be redesigned to accomodate a single car? What assurances do we have that such tires will produced in the future? I can promise you that Nissan will soon get rid of the infamous RE040 and the Z's design flaw, whatever it may be.

Another issue is that the Nissan dealers' prices on the RE040s will be extremely high, which works out great for their prorating scheme.

Sorry guys, but this great gesture from Nissan fails to move me...and it should underwhelm you as well.

NzZ
I agree. I have an early 2004 Roadster. I got the feathering and the roar, they replaced my tires, re-aligned and the feathering came back along with the roar. Initially, the dealership said they would replace my tires then they renigged. I got so fed up with them as well as NNA I gave up and purchased new rims along with a different tire. I'm curious to see if it will come back a third time.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
LugZ

does this apply to Canadian Z owner's also? Nissan Canada may not follow Nissan North America. Anyone?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:46 PM
cwerdna

Thumbs up

I surprisingly received the alignment warranty extension letter today. It caught me by surprise since I've been away from this board for awhile. Woohoo! I thought I was SOL since my fronts started exhibiting cupping and feathering in the inner edges awhile ago.

I'm sure Nissan's doing this to try to head off the class action lawsuit.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM
MADDOG`

But you'll notice they haven't promised to fix the root problem. You can align all you want but if the suspension design is flawed and available alignment adjustment dimensions are not within the parameter of dimension needed to correct the alignment, nothing has changed. For those of you who received the official notice from Nissan, you'll also note that the reimbursement for tires is limited and subject to tire tread wear measurements, not mileage. Now tell me this...if the inside of your tires are worn due to poor suspension design and you have less than 4/32" of tread left on the inside of your tires, and Nissan won't give you any money against new tires you may have bought or may need to buy, what have you gained? Not a damn thing. It's a Catch-22...you have worn out tires due to the suspension problem but cannot collect reimbursement for new tires because they are worn out.

They'll be happy to align the car, time and time again, until the extended mileage warranty expires. It won't correct the suspension defect.

Sounds like the perfect, compromised, settlement made by lawyers who don't know what a sports car is, much less ever haven driven one.

Nissan and their lawyers have skipped past the consumer again.

Kill 'em all and Let God Sort Them Out.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:11 AM
LouD

The tire tread measurement is taken on the outside edge where there is maximum tread...had it done yesterday on my 04 after 19,500 mi and feathering. Qualify for a free new set of tires, which are to be mounted today, and a tire and alignment warranty extension to 4/07.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:55 AM
FCallender

I had noise/feathering on my second set of RE040's and Nissan sandbagged me at every step. I even offered to pay part of the fix. Finally, I went out and bought new tires, RE 050's, and put on Tokico adjustable shocks. 3000 miles and no signs of the problem so far. Both the tires and shocks resulted in a very improved ride. Now tell me how putting on a better shock by the OEM supplier and a better tire by the OEM tire supplier voids a warranty.
The auto industry looks at pennies when building cars but Nissan really shot themselves in the foot with this one. Cheap stupid bastards!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:17 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The day after I saw this thread, I printed out the announcement and brought it to the dealership. They told me that they have never seend this before and that they will go check to see if there is anything like this on their network. The service guy came back and told me that nissan had not sent this out to them. He told me that he will keep the printout and that he will call me back NEXT WEEK and tell me if he found anything (this was on a Tuesday).

I went back to the office and called NNA, I waited on the line for 30 minutes (no joke) I was about to lose it on the phone when I finally got someone on the line, but he turned out to be awsome and nice. I told him about the announcement and he put me on hold to check it out. He came back and told me that he had the announcement and that I should go to my local dealer for the check.

I told him what happened and he was very upset and asked for the Dealership's address and the person that told me he never saw the annoucnement. He told me that dealership always get these announcement ahead of time before Nissan releases it.

The next day, early morning. The guy who told me he was going to call me NEXT WEEK to tell me if he found anything... called and told me how he miracilously found the announcement and that he wants me to come back so they can do a check on my tire.

I just left my car at the dealership and will update you guys this afternoon after I pick up the car.

BTW: I'm in Canada.

Originally Posted by LugZ
does this apply to Canadian Z owner's also? Nissan Canada may not follow Nissan North America. Anyone?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL NISSAN RESPONSE: Front-End Alignment Warranty Extension