Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bye Bye Brickyard???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:08 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bye Bye Brickyard???

During our local 350Z run last weekend, one of the attendees hit me with this. Wanted to see if anyone has heard anything to confirm or deny this rumor...

Apparently, my new friend heard from a "reliable source" that the Brickyard color will be going away in the 2004 model year... to be replaced with a bright yellow. Can any one confirm this?

This creates quite a dilemma for me since I would have ordered bright yellow, without question, had been offered. Now that I have my Brickyard 350Z, I'd have to decide whether to keep the rarer first year only color (which I do love) or to order the color I would have ordered to start with. Oh, sweet irony! Of course, I could just buy **another** 350Z in yellow. hehehe
Old 12-11-2002, 02:26 PM
WayneTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default huh?

I guess I don't see the dilemma. You already have the brick. If they announce a yellow next year, just order it and sell your brick. In the mean time, you're still driving the color you think is best. Right?

WayneTN
Old 12-11-2002, 03:35 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised. My dad liked brickyard the best in the photos, and he hated it in person! And he loves yellow cars. So it could be his fault, being an average consumer type person
Old 12-11-2002, 04:01 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well first of all, there are many shades of yellow, and most of them are just wrong, too faded or just too bright.

as for this particular rumor, it would not suprise me if brickyard or lemans or even both was removed from the lineup and replaced with something else, sort of like a limited color each year. keeping their bread and butter colors constant, but switching up the lineup with the less selling daring options.

but this could be no more than a rumor, I dont think nissan know what it will do for 2004 yet, they have WAY bigger fish to fry right now then to decide on color choices for next year.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:13 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it may be no more than rumor... just wanted to see if anyone here had heard anything.

Ares, I like your idea of rotating the "daring" colors each year... that would be pretty cool.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:27 PM
MEfreak

Originally posted by ares
but this could be no more than a rumor, I dont think nissan know what it will do for 2004 yet, they have WAY bigger fish to fry right now then to decide on color choices for next year.
Out of curiosity, what bigger fish does Nissan have to fry? I wouldn't think that a survey/study by the marketing dept for color choices could possibly tax a large corp. like as Nissan as much as you seem to.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:31 PM
ares
Veteran

they have the murano on the way, working on a full size pickup with the brand new V8, they are just getting underway on the mississippi plant, and I believe they are already expanding it. as well as the deckard plant is being expanded to make the V8.

then there are those rumors of SUV based on the full size pickup, as well as that minivan.

then you have the simple job of releasing the manual G35 sedan.

they are still stretched pretty thin, I just think the Z is finished for right now, brand new, only been out 3 months, they dont need to decide what colors to buy for next year quite yet. preorder colors and actual colors could vary due to the difference in buyers. hard to take a real good survey based on 8000 preorders.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

And let's not forget that they have to get busy replacing all of our rear bumpers and jacking up the price of the 04 Z $7000!

Old 12-12-2002, 08:24 AM
z-extreme

Yeah - the whole color issue is this. When we first saw the new z it was in the LeMans then the CS both colors non standard paint. Heck all those that saw the Z at this years auto show in that Metallic Silver were blown away. It was awesome. That made a lot of individuals get the silver expecting that color and getting the CS.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:28 AM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Dr. Bonz you kill me!!

AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

That was a zinger!!!!!

Old 12-12-2002, 09:26 AM
NismoEagleRock

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

shoot, i hope they discontinue lemans sunset.. not to say that i hate the color, because in my honest opinion it's the best color out of the lineup... keep in mind i'm not just saying this because i'm a ls owner...but, it would really be cool to be one of the few true pre-order track lemans sunsets on the debut year for the 350z. it would quickly become one of the most sought after cars on the used car markets, or it could possibly become a collector's item!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:33 AM
k2we

From a marketing standpoint, Nissan would be smart to drop the 2 least selling colors every year and replace them. A real nice british racing green would look great on the "Z" with a tan interior As would a bright yellow.. But they would have to be crazy to drop the Chrome Silver or Silverstone as they make up over 40% of the cars sold to date..

Just my 2 cents.. My wife has almost 30 years in Marketing research for a top 10 fortune 500 company.

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY
Old 12-12-2002, 09:37 AM
ares
Veteran

no no not silver, they are not "special" almost every car made comes in white, black, silver, red, and ussually blue. its the brickyard and lemans that is unussual.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:33 PM
tbob

I have a LeMans and my dealer told me that color was a first year only color. But then again we're talking about a car salesman so take it at what it's worth.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:50 PM
rep15

Originally posted by tbob
I have a LeMans and my dealer told me that color was a first year only color. But then again we're talking about a car salesman so take it at what it's worth.
That would be wonderful, if true. As more and more chrome silver and silverstone get pumped out, the number of LeMans sunset would not increase and the percentage would then decrease. That makes the color even more rare and unique. If I didn't wish to be noticed I would have gotten silver/silverstone like so many others.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Boomer

Default color

I am pleased if the rumor is true. I bought the Brickyard because it is different. I get complimented every day on the color. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was the rarest color of all Zs.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:54 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Although I LOVE my Daytona Blue, I REALLY LOVE the Brickyard. If I had to do over, I would have gotten the Brickyard. But it would not surprise me if Nissan dropped the Brickyard, just to rotate different colors, and the fact of the matter is, for whatever reason, not many are choosing the Brickyard. (I preferred the Brickyard, but I could not talk my wife into buying a maroon car sight unseen.) I doubt that Nissan would drop the Le Mans, however. Even though its nowhere near my favorite color, I think it is the signature color of the 350Z because it is such an unusual color. I doubt Nissan would drop it.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:39 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I'm sure Nissan has done their research. The market isn't exactly logical though.

It isn't *just* about knocking out the most popular colors. Sometimes it makes sense to do rare colors, because certain people choose cars for the rare color. I know it sounds stupid, but a large part of the market will change makes or models to get the color they want. More people probably care about looks than engines, and the Z is designed for them, too. If someone falls in love with metallic green, and the Z is the only metallic green out there, score. Or maybe an oddball color is just enough to put them over the top.

But still, I think not-too-pale yellow is the next logical choice, because few hundred people are just waiting for it. I expect to see a deep charcoal too.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Boomer

Default BYE

Did anyone ever ask, "Why is Brickyard not sold in Japan or the U.K"? Why release it only in the U.S.? Other countries I have no clue if it is available there. Does anyone know?