Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the Z...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Spideynw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I think you have learned your lesson, to get a radar detector. Yes the officer is a pig. He chose a profession where he mostly gives out traffic tickets. He didn't have to.

I love how many short-sighted, small-minded people are showing themselves on this board. Just because a law has been passed does not mean it is right. Why do you all think that prohibition was repealed? Because people are going to drink, whether the law says to or not. Same with drugs. And same with racing.

Here is a statistic for you. Your chances of getting in an accident increase by 100% by getting in a moving vehicle (i.e. you can't get in an accident if you aren't in a moving vehicle). So I guess we should outlaw driving then, because it is dangerous.

So, he was doing 110 at 2am on the freeway. Has anyone here researched what percent of street racing on highways at night result in an accident? Well, since street racing is not reported, it would be very difficult to research. My guess is that 99.9999% of street racing done in these conditions end up not resulting in an accident. I would also dare suggest that most accidents happen at intersections. I would also dare suggest that most accidents are caused by inattentive drivers (drinking and driving or cell phone and driving), not by street racers.

If cities really wanted to stop street racing, then they would provide a place where people could go to race without being on the streets, anytime during the weekend and anytime after, say, 6 at night until 2am. As it is, you can do legal racing maybe once a week? So, I guess that is all some people on this board need to satisfy their need for speed. I am sure there are others however that would like much more.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 AM
BENSIN

Honestly I thought he was going to take me in, he didn't so that's why I thanked him - on that same note, it's like telling someone NO RUNNING in an open gym. Just an analogy, because there really was no one on a dead highway in the middle of the night, no one behind us no one in front of us on a complete straight away, and most anybody on here would have raced too.

I know a lot of cops, I'm related to a bunch of them, my whole family is cops. I've been hassled by cops a lot, so I call them pigs. In my case, he was just doing his job, but considering my situation, I'm not going to be his best friend. To serve and to protect is something a lot of cops in my area at least, have forgotten. Again, big difference between an Officer and a pig. BECAUSE I have a whole family of cops, I follow the law because I don't want to be an *******, I actually get picked on by friends for driving 'slow' or as I like to call it 'not like an out of control moron' so if there was even one other car on there I would not have raced this guy. I'm competent when it comes to driving, and I know I am. Yes, I don't know how others drive and it doesn't mean those around me are good drivers, which is why I don't race. Did it twice and got shut down the 2nd time, so that's my venting. I'm not really asking for forgiveness because I don't think I did anything wrong, but it's tough **** for me either way.

Like I said lesson learned. Get a radar detector!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 AM
BENSIN

Originally Posted by ROGUELITE
+1

you blame the cop for doing his job. he'd be doing us all a disservice if he let you
go. sure we all speed at times. but that's the risk you take. chalk it up to a real
expensive lesson and learn from it. but why call him a pig because he caught you
breaking the law?
With no one else on the road? Okay...I guess if the apocalypse ever comes and cops are still around, I'll make sure to drive the speed limit even though there is no one around. If the guy COULD have arrested me...now that I think about it he probably would have. Seriously dude, there was no one on the road, it was a well lit highway and we were going straight on dry highway...

So I raced some guy, I BARELY went over 100 MPH, big freaking deal, the only thing that was in danger of being hurt by my car or the other guy's car plowing into them were bugs buzzing around at night.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BENSIN
With no one else on the road? Okay...I guess if the apocalypse ever comes and cops are still around, I'll make sure to drive the speed limit even though there is no one around. If the guy COULD have arrested me...now that I think about it he probably would have. Seriously dude, there was no one on the road, it was a well lit highway and we were going straight on dry highway...

So I raced some guy, I BARELY went over 100 MPH, big freaking deal, the only thing that was in danger of being hurt by my car or the other guy's car plowing into them were bugs buzzing around at night.
Your not getting the point young Jedi. I am glad you got your lesson learned over with. Now move on and forget!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:07 AM
BENSIN

Originally Posted by zand02max
Your not getting the point young Jedi. I am glad you got your lesson learned over with. Now move on and forget!
Hey, listen no disrespect for real officers, I'm going to move on, just had to vent. They put their lives on the line and I understand that, but I still feel that he went way overboard, and I endangered no one. I know there are corrupt cops out there, and I know there are people who become cops because they can't get respect any other way. Then there are those who actually do it for a legit reason. I just needed to make that clear...about my stand point

If I was a cop, I'd still issue a ticket, but I wouldn't have gone overboard.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by Wolverineut
Yup, I think you have learned your lesson, to get a radar detector. Yes the officer is a pig. He chose a profession where he mostly gives out traffic tickets. He didn't have to.

I love how many short-sighted, small-minded people are showing themselves on this board. Just because a law has been passed does not mean it is right. Why do you all think that prohibition was repealed? Because people are going to drink, whether the law says to or not. Same with drugs. And same with racing.

Here is a statistic for you. Your chances of getting in an accident increase by 100% by getting in a moving vehicle (i.e. you can't get in an accident if you aren't in a moving vehicle). So I guess we should outlaw driving then, because it is dangerous.

So, he was doing 110 at 2am on the freeway. Has anyone here researched what percent of street racing on highways at night result in an accident? Well, since street racing is not reported, it would be very difficult to research. My guess is that 99.9999% of street racing done in these conditions end up not resulting in an accident. I would also dare suggest that most accidents happen at intersections. I would also dare suggest that most accidents are caused by inattentive drivers (drinking and driving or cell phone and driving), not by street racers.

If cities really wanted to stop street racing, then they would provide a place where people could go to race without being on the streets, anytime during the weekend and anytime after, say, 6 at night until 2am. As it is, you can do legal racing maybe once a week? So, I guess that is all some people on this board need to satisfy their need for speed. I am sure there are others however that would like much more.
wow...let me see if I understand your talking points...

the officer is a pig because he didn't have to give the guy a ticket?
Thats right, the officer didn't have to give him a ticket. He was driving fast enough to be tossed in jail...trust me, he gave you a break.

Speed limits are an oppresive law?!

wtf...Are you tweaked out? Probably think stoplights and these 'lane' things on roads are a perfect example of the man trying to keep you down also?

It's not possible to research the amount of accidents caused by 'street racing', so you're going to 'guess'...
Brilliant, somebody give this guy a cookie...your guesses are worth precisely, donkey spunk.

Cities should dedicate funds to set up a street racing track, so people don't...um..'street' race?

If cities wanted to deter street racing, they would institute a speed limit, and threaten severe punishments for wreckless driving on public roads(which they do). According to your logic, sex offenders shouldn't be punished for their actions, rather make the government buy em all blow-up dolls to hump; that should reduce the amount of offenses every year...

simply amazing..
Old 08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone is cracking down on street racing

a cop doesn't need to use a radar to see if you're going 110mph if the limit is 55 or 65.

radar detector will only give you a false sense of security in thinking it's ok to speed. They still have eyes and sometimes use other methods like laser
Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by Lancaster

Speed limits are an oppresive law?!
Do I think there should be speed limits on highways? No. Did you know that there are fewer accidents on the autobahn then on U.S. highways? Probably not. And guess what, the autobahn does not have a speed limit. Fact is, speed does not kill. As I said, inattentive drivers and intersections do.

So, yes I do think speed limits on freeways is an oppresive law.

wtf...Are you tweaked out? Probably think stoplights and these 'lane' things on roads are a perfect example of the man trying to keep you down also?
You probably think it is a heinous crime for someone to run a stop sign or red light at 2am. We are just animals anyways with no higher though processes. Plus, I have heard it is a major cause of accidents, people running stop signs or red lights at 2am in the morning.

Point is, highway patrol officers who are not bright enough to find people who are really dangerous, are pigs. This guy was speeding at 2am on a highway with no traffic. Who cares?

It is well known that officers try to catch people at night, not because they are trying to protect the public, but because it is easier for them to hide. Because, you see, many cities give the cops a quota of tickets they need to give out each month, and so they are just trying to meet their quota.

It's not possible to research the amount of accidents caused by 'street racing', so you're going to 'guess'...
Brilliant, somebody give this guy a cookie...your guesses are worth precisely, donkey spunk.

Cities should dedicate funds to set up a street racing track, so people don't...um..'street' race?

If cities wanted to deter street racing, they would institute a speed limit, and threaten severe punishments for wreckless driving on public roads(which they do). According to your logic, sex offenders shouldn't be punished for their actions, rather make the government buy em all blow-up dolls to hump; that should reduce the amount of offenses every year...

simply amazing..
Hmm, you are a genius at using argumentitive fallacies aren't you? You think child molestation and breaking the speed limit are the same? If so, I hope you NEVER get elected to a public office. Since you obviously do not understand the difference, let me try to explain it. Molesting a child is an act intended to harm another person. When someone is speeding, they are not generally intending to harm another. If they are, then it is called assault with a deadly weapon, not speeding. Learn the difference, please.

Also, let me give you some clarification about my first post. Drinking is not an act intended to harm others. Doing drugs is not an act intended to harm others. Neither is street racing an act intended to harm others. Now, I did not say, in my original post, that street racing should be legalized. Why? Because street racing can have the unfortunate consequence of harming someone else physically, whereas doing drugs or drinking alcholic beverages cannot. But, since everyone is going to do them anyways, and racing on a closed circuit is much safer then on the street, I would say give people the opportunity much more often to race on a closed circuit.

Last edited by Spideynw; 08-15-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
BENSIN

a cop doesn't need to use a radar to see if you're going 110mph if the limit is 55 or 65.

radar detector will only give you a false sense of security in thinking it's ok to speed. They still have eyes and sometimes use other methods like laser
Yea I was told about this, I don't really race often anyway, just twice ever...probably won't do it ever again...well I mean unless I'm on a track or I'm rich enough to build a track in my backyard some day...

Last edited by BENSIN; 08-15-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by sentry65

Plus radar detectors are only good to about 15 over the speed limit. Anymore then that, and you probably won't have time to slow down.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah, plus radar detectors just add weight and cost money and are noisy
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Fletch69z

You deserve the ticket but cops should still always be nice. Kill em with kindness.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Lancaster

Well excuse my rash language first of all. Your response was mostly civil but I don't take kindly to those who refer to my people as pigs just because they are enforcing laws put in place by representatives YOU elected.

Do I think there should be speed limits on highways? No. Did you know that there are fewer accidents on the autobahn then on U.S. highways? Probably not. And guess what, the autobahn does not have a speed limit. Fact is, speed does not kill. As I said, inattentive drivers and intersections do.
I am aware of this fact. But by your statement, it looks like you're trying to tell me speed limits cause inattentive drivers? You'll have to explain that one..

You probably think it is a heinous crime for someone to run a stop sign or red light at 2am. We are just animals anyways with no higher though processes. Plus, I have heard it is a major cause of accidents, people running stop signs or red lights at 2am in the morning.

Point is, highway patrol officers who are not bright enough to find people who are really dangerous, are pigs. This guy was speeding at 2am on a highway with no traffic. Who cares?
*sigh* He didn't run a stop sign, he was marked going 100+mph which is almost double the felony excess limit in most States. Law officers are NOT ALLOWED to look the other way for a felony offense. Do you understand that? A ticket in that situation is the most lenient possible outcome according to the law.
If you think that's oppresive then I suggest you write your congressman or local representative; it's not the police's fault. You seem to have issue with the law itself; so be pissed at lawmakers not law enforcers.

It is well known that officers try to catch people at night, not because they are trying to protect the public, but because it is easier for them to hide. Because, you see, many cities give the cops a quota of tickets they need to give out each month, and so they are just trying to meet their quota.
Where do you get your information from? Is this another one of your guesses? You do realize that police work in shifts right? There are officers that work strictly during the day, and then officers that work exclusively at night. You think they are choosing the night to do their job because it's easier to hide? It's always night time when they're working! I can't speak for State Troopers or county Sheriff, but no metro city police department issue traffic quotas to their patrol officers. That's not a guess either.

Hmm, you are a genius at using argumentitive fallacies aren't you? You think child molestation and breaking the speed limit are the same? If so, I hope you NEVER get elected to a public office. Since you obviously do not understand the difference, let me try to explain it. Molesting a child is an act intended to harm another person. When someone is speeding, they are not generally intending to harm another. If they are, then it is called assault with a deadly weapon, not speeding. Learn the difference, please.

Also, let me give you some clarification about my first post. Drinking is not an act intended to harm others. Doing drugs is not an act intended to harm others. Neither is street racing an act intended to harm others. Now, I did not say, in my original post, that street racing should be legalized. Why? Because street racing can have the unfortunate consequence of harming someone else physically, whereas doing drugs or drinking alcholic beverages cannot. But, since everyone is going to do them anyways, and racing on a closed circuit is much safer then on the street, I would say give people the opportunity much more often to race on a closed circuit.
It's to show metaphorical similarity by relation. Doesn't have anything to do with intent. Nobody said child molestor btw.. Your 'clarification' is flawed because the law isn't that black and white. At a certain point, speeding ceases to be just speeding and it becomes careless driving, and then wreckless driving; you dont need 'intent to harm' to be guilty of this.
I know the difference, thanks.

If you think street racing can cause harm to another person, but alcohol and schedule II&III drugs can't...I seriously don't know what to say to that. You should look up the actual numbers on alcohol related HOMICIDES one day. It would blow your mind..
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM
ShadesofBlonde

yeah, maybe he could have let you off... but he didn't
you made a choice to speed, he made a choice to ticket you
fair is fair
suck it up and move on....
Old 08-15-2005, 01:47 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Do I think there should be speed limits on highways? No. Did you know that there are fewer accidents on the autobahn then on U.S. highways? Probably not. And guess what, the autobahn does not have a speed limit.
You obviously have missed a point there. Just about any bozo can get a license in the US. Just show up, have a pulse, just barely pass the written (actually multiple choice) test, don't make any major mistakes on the STUPIDLY SIMPLE driving test, and you get your license. One day, you're a pedestrian, the next you're driving a 3000-pound vehicle at 60 MPH because you passed the "test." Good for you.

In Germany, the rules are a lot different. First of all, driving is a privilege, not a right, and the Germans treat it as such. Secondly, there's no multitasking -- driving takes all of your concentration. Third, just getting a license costs SIGNIFICANTLY more than it does in the U.S.

So, while there are fewer accidents in Germany, the ones that they do have basically require a bucket and mop, since that's about all that is needed to pick up what is left of the people involved.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Spideynw

By my statement about the autobahn and speed and inattentive drivers, inattentive drivers has nothing to do with speed. I apologize if my statement is confusing. I am talking about the overall cause of accidents, and just stating that inattentive driving (cell phone use) and driving under the influence causes more accidents then just speeding on the highway.

My statement about stop signs was in response to your statement saying that I think "stoplights and these "lane" things on roads are a perfect example of the man trying to keep you down also?" I am just saying that traffic law enforcement should be for when it is appropriate. I have heard plenty of stories of cops ticketing someone for running a red light at 1 in the morning, when there is no traffic around. So, yea, I think traffic lights should be turned off between 10pm to 6am. If I could have it my way, they would all be changed to blinking red and yellow lights between those times.

Cops can use discretion on who they ticket. But since they have the power, some of them like to abuse it by ticketing someone for no good reason other then the law was broke, even though breaking that law harmed no one. These are, IMO, pigs. Not all officers are pigs. Generally, its the highway patrol that I consider to be pigs.

Speeding is not a felony offense. So, yes, cops can look the other way.

I stand corrected about officers trying to catch people more at night then in the daytime.

All child molestors are sex offenders. So, yes, some sex offenders are child molestors. Keep in mind, I am not saying all sex offenders are child molestors. So, my point is valid, since you said sex offenders.

Alcohol related homicides? ROFL. If you are talking about drinking and driving, then I can understand. However, that is illegal. If you are talking about drinking and then shooting someone because you are too drunk, then that is funny, since I have never heard of that.

Again, I am not arguing to legalize street racing. I am suggesting cities should provide safe and affordable venues for racing, 7 days a week.

Last edited by Spideynw; 08-15-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:15 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i thought cities do provide safe and affordable venues for racing. Most major cities have a few performance driving tracks do they not? Doesn't some of the tax money go towards keeping some of those running?

Here in AZ, firebird raceway holds street car drag races every friday and i think saturday night too for $7 a run. Just need to bring a helmet for the most part. I think some of that is funded by tax money to give street racers a venue to race at on the busiest nights of the week

the original poster got caught and got screwed - or so it seems. I bet if he were to show up to court, pay his fee, apologize, and explain that he was going too fast and was sorry that he'll get off just paying a fine and some points. Could always get a lawyer too, but what's that going to prove? That the officer's radar MIGHT have not been properly calibrated and the driver was really only going 100 mph? fat chance. He got caught and got caught hard. Can't argue anything. Some states say that anything over 20mph over the speed limit is "criminal speeding" other say anything 30mph over the limit is reckless driving. He's still screwed in that sense.

The guy needs to just suck it up, go into court, admit to what he did, plee guilty with explanation and explain that he was out on the highway at 2am driving faster than he should have and he's sorry for doing it. That he's never had a ticket before and this has been hard on him etc.

also, in europe the autobahn has very specific rules for driving on it. If you don't follow those rules you can get ticketed because those rules are there for safety. Some cop cars on the autobahn are exotics or at least sports cars, so they'll catch you if they want to

Last edited by sentry65; 08-15-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
In Germany, the rules are a lot different. First of all, driving is a privilege, not a right, and the Germans treat it as such.
It is also a privelege in the United States.

Also, the autobahn is much better maintained then U.S. highways.

Anyways, yes, just taking away speed limits on U.S. highways without certain changes would be a bad idea. The U.S. would need better highways, stricter traffic laws, and a better public transporation system (for people who lose their license). I hear that in Germany if you are caught drinking and driving, you lose your license. But then again, the public transportation in Europe is much better then in the states, so you can still get around.

One other point, I have street raced, done 140+ on the highway, and made illegal lane changes (no blinker) and have yet to be in an accident after 16 years of driving.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives" Braveheart.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by sentry65
Here in AZ, firebird raceway holds street car drag races every friday and i think saturday night too for $7 a run. Just need to bring a helmet for the most part. I think some of that is funded by tax money to give street racers a venue to race at on the busiest nights of the week

also, in europe the autobahn has very specific rules for driving on it. If you don't follow those rules you can get ticketed because those rules are there for safety. Some cop cars on the autobahn are exotics or at least sports cars, so they'll catch you if they want to
As I said in one of my other statements, one or two runs a week on a Friday night is not enough for everyone.

And yes, the autobahn has more stringent rules, as my previous post discusses.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

it only takes one scare of a cop threatening to take your car away, impound it, inspect it for illegal mods, and then auction it off to make you not do tripple digits ever again....but some people just gotta go 160mph anyway to beat their personal best time. Any fool can just continue to hold down the gas pedal. No skill required there.

Quick Reply: Well, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the Z...again