Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So I let my girlfriend drive the Z..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:47 AM
Clapton9286

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I let my girlfriend drive the Z..

It all started after we got gas...this nice guy came up to me raving about the Z's and how he wants one but has to drive a company car instead. A kid with a stock WRX (the non-sti version) pulled up behind and seemed a bit cocky with his free-revving antics (you know the like..the guys who pull up anywhere and apparently need to rev it to 5K in first in order to park it correctly!). So after the chat, me and the lady went out of the gas station in "style" as one would call it, leaving behind only rubber.

She turns to me and says (with this absolutely adorable face) "Dylan, I have to learn how to drive stick...can I pleaaaaaase drive".
"No"
"Pleaaaase"
"How about a parking lot"
"No"

15 mins later we were in the parking lot of a Church. Needless to say, the 15 minutes had "changed" my mind so-to-speak. We swap seats and shes going about normally, doing what I tell her..and..to my disbelief...it moved?! Without..stalling? Of course as soon as I thought that she stalled putting it into second..apparently the idea of matching revs and keeping the gas up is lost on new drivers. We repeated the same process three times..her most successful time being the second, where she lapped the lot in first (and passed a moving car to my chagrin..).

Has anyone else been suckered into this? My heart just got so heavy seeing her face..and then it nearly exploded when she was in the car! Oi oi oi.

Just wanted to share my experience!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Dream350Z

My girlfriend wants to but knows she is not very good so doesn't bug me because she is afraid of ruining it.

I used to have an AWD eclipse, and let my g/f(at the time) drive that and going from 2nd up to 3rd she apparently forgot to go over a bit and um...yea went right up into first...as soon as I heard grinding and the motor rev up when she let the clutch out I screamed PUSH THE CLUTCH IN!!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 984 Likes on 747 Posts

church parking lots are the best place to do IT. but as far as teaching her to drive: take her to some long, desolate sp? and slightly hilly roads. One youve driven the roads for like 15min (perfect amt of time for that all important 'convinvcing' ) pull over and let her drive.

its always good to get the girl to like the car, that way shell understand when you spend 3-4hrs washing/waxing/cleaning it .

Dylan ,Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan (chappelles show)

also, this thread is useless w/o pics of your gf, i cant give my best advice w/o a picture.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Eiso

Originally Posted by Dream350Z
My girlfriend wants to but knows she is not very good so doesn't bug me because she is afraid of ruining it.

I used to have an AWD eclipse, and let my g/f(at the time) drive that and going from 2nd up to 3rd she apparently forgot to go over a bit and um...yea went right up into first...as soon as I heard grinding and the motor rev up when she let the clutch out I screamed PUSH THE CLUTCH IN!!
Same here!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:36 AM
seabass

Has anyone else been suckered into this?

Our driving experience was in a empty mall parking lot. Now my wife has a "little" pratice at driving stick, but its always scary to hear "which one is the clutch again?" before we start.
I sat there calmly giving instructions...stall after stall...until we where crusing the parking lot in 1st and 2nd gears. After about a 1/2 hour during one bad stall, I say "wow, I've never heard that noise before" At that point she stops the car hands me the keys and claims shes learned enough.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:43 AM
spacemn_spiff

I wouldnt let anyone learn to drive manual in my Z. I would rather get a rental and then abuse it. Z is a big 'No No' for me when someone wants to learn to drive manual.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 08-21-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:46 AM
nick120580

I try to teach my wife to drive a stick everytime we have to rent a car for something. But she is to scared to try. Rentals are awesome learner cars.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't date girls who can't drive stick.

Might explain why I'm single.... haha
Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 AM
MADDOG`

oooooohh..."CruiZing for a BruiZing", eh??? How's the heart now? At least nothing bad happened. Problem is you've probably created a monster...she's gonna want to drive the Z more now. If that's the case, more empty parking lots are in your future! hehehehe...
Old 08-21-2005, 10:10 AM
md1400cs

When I bought my Z and specified a 6sp, the salesman sort of laughed. "what's funny?", I asked. "Married?", he asked. "Yes", I replied.
"So, you don't want your wife to drive it, right?, I see this all the time, guys coming in asking for non auto Z's".
PS: He was right. Though I have been driving manuals for a long time.
PS 2: I tried to teach my wife in my Supra, almost caused a divorce haha.
MJD
Old 08-21-2005, 10:10 AM
o snap its eric

what hurts the most is when they grind gears. I dont really care much for stalling but its the sound of those gears grind that spends tears to my eyes. Then i think about the rewards of teaching this girl or gf of mine stick. Then the pain temporaily goes away.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Clapton9286

I was SHOCKED she didn't grind anything..of course I told her that "if you need to slow down for anything, just put the clutch to the floor". I figure, if she remembers that process, nothing will happen and she can just break (or if worse comes to worse, I'll grab the e-brake).

I'll talk to her tonight after work and I'll get some pics of us in the car (and the car..maybe she should wash it in a bikini? haha that'd be torture for her!) so you all can delegate a final reaction (ehem CUxtopher!)

The only monster i've created is with my mother and only friend who keep begging me to let them drive it. And quite frankly, neither can manage a parking lot like her! (nor would i want them too!)

All's fair in love and war, especially when it comes to MY Z!

Dylan
Old 08-21-2005, 11:48 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It had been 30 years since my wife drove a stick. Not to long after getting the Z I thought it would be good if she was familar with driving it. So she gets behind the wheel, adjusts stuff, puts it in gear & pulls out as smooth as silk. 1st time. Same with other gears. She shifts smoother than I do. Forunately, she does not like the "extra" work of having to shift so no worries on her wanting more wheel time!!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 AM
B-Unit

That was a nicely orated story^^
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM
KingOfV6

Well there can only be one loyal owner to the Z, as for my Z its still a virgin, i havent let anyone drive it for the obvious reasons here. Let's see how long i can keep it up.

So if ur cars were auto would u let your g/f drive it on the road with traffic?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:18 PM
DBZ

Power of the *****. It's like Kryptonite! Rental all the way! Next thing you know she's going to be begging for an engagement ring.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:19 PM
DBZ

Originally Posted by B-Unit
That was a nicely orated story^^
Orated or oral being the operative word. Hopefully, she test drive his stick even better that night.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:42 PM
homiusang

My gf sucked at driving stick even though she passed the driving test w/ a stick car in Hong Kong at the first attempt(very tough). She was so proud of her achievement but when I let her drive my Z, she said the clutch is too heavy and it's hard to swith gears. Ok so I let her drive my non-power steering miata, she complainted that the steering is too heavy. I just don't know what her deal is, and I wish she's as smart as your gf.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Clapton9286

Well the Z is one of the more difficult stick cars to drive..very high friction point. My 280ZX was a piece of cake..
Old 08-21-2005, 02:24 PM
homiusang

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
Well the Z is one of the more difficult stick cars to drive..very high friction point. My 280ZX was a piece of cake..
Haha i agree w/ you. I just drove my Z and the miata back to back, and the clutch's engagement point is soooo much differernt the miata and also other cars.

Quick Reply: So I let my girlfriend drive the Z..