Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WHY YOU SHOULD BUY A Z (subtitle: Z Purchasing FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:02 AM
dcmidnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY YOU SHOULD BUY A Z (subtitle: Z Purchasing FAQ)

I decided to write this after reading post after post after post after exhausing post questioning the Z and whether or not it is a good purchasing decision. I plan on adding to it and editing it as time allows. Please note that these are my opinions and my opinions only and the trunk comments apply to the Coupe

The Z wont hold enough groceries.
subquestion - Will the Z hold a golf bag?

No the Z will not hold one golf bag, it will hold two - plus luggage. Driver lays flat on the floor of the trunk, bags fit right in . It will not hold a few bags of groceries, it can hold more than a cartful of bags. On a recent weekend trip, I put two duffel bags under the sway bar, two carry bags in their slots, and two backpacks one on each side, on top of the golf bags and could still see just fine out the back. No problems. This car holds more than enough luggage for two people IMHO. Obviously you arent buying this car for a family sedan. Fully empty, this car will hold plenty of groceries or whatever else you want to put in here. But hopefully you arent buying this car to carry a family of 5 or carry your kids soccer team with all their gear or 10 palletes of slate bricks from Home Depot. Bottom line - If you want a minivan, go buy a minivan.

Is the Z as comfortable as my Cadilac?
Of course not. This is not your grandfathers hemorrhoid friendly cushy Cadillac. This is a sportscar kind of ride, but its a damn fine ride at that. Look, its a sports car and as such it rides and handles and sounds and feels like a sports car. If you want a plush comfy ride, you've come to the wrong forum.

I've heard there are problems with the Z?
subquestion - I've read about (insert problem) on the boards and it seems to happen *all* the time.
subsubquestion - Does XXXX car have fewer problems?

Problems happen to everyone. The thing is, people mostly post to complain and bit*h and fuss about their car. If 5,000 people drive home happy from work today in their Z and one has a problem, he's the one thats going to post. The 4,999 of us that dont arent going to come on here and post just to tell you what a great ride home we had or how punching the gas and throwing the Z into the offramp was the best part of our day. Bottom line, there are going to be problems with every car. Many of the problems with the Z occured in early runs of the 2003s and have gotten significantly better since then. Every car company goes through this especially in new releases, but believe me, it can get a lot worse than this. Mitsubishi has already had what, three recalls of their brand new 06 Eclipse? Grease streaks on the window and tire feathering happen and do happen and sometimes there is nothing permanent that can be done to fix it. Is that a great thing? Of course not. Does it happen to everyone? No it does not. Is it minor in the grand scheme of things? I believe it is. As far as sports cars go, I challenge you to find a sports car with fewer problems than the Z. You want a Camry? Go buy a f***ing Camry.

Keeping it waxed is too much trouble
subquestion - Keeping it Zainoed is a part time job in itself

I have the SB Z and I have no complaints whatsoever. Though I have always kept whatever car I had spotless and this wasnt going to change with the Z. But I dont spend my whole life detailing the car or keeping it cleaned. I spend 10 minutes a day twice a week with a California duster and a spray of Z6. I will wash and polish it a couple times a month and maybe do a full detail twice a year. But I have always done this. Zaino or any other detailing process can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. If you want a light color car so you can let it get dusty and dirty and not worry about it or not see it and be guilty, then OK. But keep in mind, just because you cant see the dust and dirt building up on your paint doesnt mean it isnt there. I would advocate a weekly wipedown for whatever color you have, but thats just me. Bottom line is you can do a lot of good for your paintjob and the looks of your car in a very short amount of time.

Can I drive my Z in the winter?
subquestion - Why do people keep crashing in their Zs?
subsubquestion - I hear the stock Potenzas suck

I understand that many people out there have the luxury of being able to have the Z as a summer and weekend only car that sits in their garage the other 5 days a week and throughout the winter. I think thats great. However, my Z will be a daily driver throughout the winter. I plan on putting a good set of Blizzaks on there and most importantly - driving within the cars limits. The stock tires are high performance Summer tires and I wouldnt dream of trying to driver them in the snow. But I think the Z is no different from any other RWD car in the snow. I've talked to dozens of people here and offboard that drive them in the winter with no problems whatsoever. But you have to realize, this is not an SUV. As with any other car, you should be driving slower and being more aware of your surroundings in bad weather. Cant tell you the number of crash stories I've heard that start with "I was going down the highway in a torrential downpour only going about 70." I hydroplaned and slide my Jetta off the highway in barely a misting of water, so this is not a unique thing for the Z. I also cant tell you, especially in DC, the number of SUVs I see in ditches on the side of the road in snowstorms because SUV drivers think they are above the law when it comes to snow and they can just zip around ***** nilly. That is not the case and never will be. Drive slow, drive safe, drive aware and this car can go in just about anything.

There arent enough cupholders
Personally I dont know why you would want anyone in your car drinking a 60 ounce Big Gulp anyway. The two small cupholders are fine for me and just means everyone that rides either doesnt drink at all, or drinks something small enough to fit in that compartment. Its also nice because it is easily cleanable if something spills out. Personally I try to limit drinking in the car as much as possible, but thats just me. If cupholders are the thing that keeps you from enjoying the bliss of driving the Z, then I feel sorry for you.

People are staring at me

Sadly, yes, this will be true and for this, I have no answer.

Look some people will buy it and it turns out its not for them, for whatever reason. I'm not going to deny that. Sometimes a small two seater just isnt for everyone. And sometimes people come on this board just to bit*h and troll and cause problems for no other reason than thats what they like to do. But in closing I want to say that I consider the Z to be, bar none, the best bang for the buck on the sportscar market today. I dont know where for around $30k you are going to find a car with the looks and specs of the Z. My best friend has a Boxster S which I love dearly, but he paid twice what I paid for the Z and he loves riding in my car more than I love his. Dont let yourself fall into the "analysis by parlysis" trap. Be aware of the considerations, but most importantly, GO DRIVE IT. The car is either going to agree with you or it isnt, but the only way to find out for yourself is to get out there on the road. One thing I am sure of is it will cause you to do this: and your neighbors to do this:

Happy driving. Be safe.

-dc-

Last edited by dcmidnight; 08-25-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:10 AM
Fletch69z

Haha, that was awesome! Good job, . But the Z has two cupholders?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:13 AM
dcmidnight

Thanks. Actually I guess three, two in the center console, one that comes out of the passenger side dash? Dont know why anyone would ever use that one though, just asking for things to spill all over the place.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 AM
Fletch69z

I have the one in the pass. dash but I don't have any in the center console on my 03. That I know of, where are yours?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:26 AM
Balishag

i think the 3rd cupholder is for the midget that sits in that rear compartment
Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 AM
dcmidnight

Just two small ones, looks like some type of insert for the center console? It comes completely out, takes up about half the center console, the cutout that holds the cups flips down if you want to put something bigger in. Hard to describe sorry I am not doing a good job of explaining it.

Last edited by dcmidnight; 08-25-2005 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 AM
ZsAllright

Well zaid! A mazterpiece of wit & wizdom

How many cupholders in the Z?
It is equipped from the factory with three: two right behind the driver's
elbow for ease of spillage (lol), and the really scarey shakey one on the
passenger side...ergo: no food, drink, smoke, or farting allowed in my Z!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 AM
skink

I use the cup holder in the dash every morning to hold my coffee travel cup and occassionally a half full soda can. Haven't had any spills...yet.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 AM
pacman_38

Well said. The Roadster trunk really sucks. When the GF and I hit the road, we pack for 4 days. Four days of "things" fit in easily and then we hit a coin laundry. Some of the places we stay have laundry facilities. One good thing about a small trunk is that she can't buy a lot of stuff on the road.
I've had a few problems with my '04 Roadster (Driver side window regulator replaced, Top replaced because of pin holes, Rear view mirror replaced because Homelink failed, fuel filler door opening problem fixed and of course the sucky stock tires and feathering problem) but Iwould do it all over again.
I removed the center console cup holder insert and use that area for a small storage compartment (gum, pin, extra clip, etc).
I did a lot of research before getting my Z and it does have the most bang for the buck. Inside seating space is as good or better than most 2 seaters.
About a month ago the check engine light came on on my 2000 Dodge truck. I took it to a local repair shop just before leaving on a trip to Colorado. When Iwent to pick it up the shop owner said the problem was a transmission sensor and a pinched CAN network line. He said they saw more network problems on Chrysler cars than all others put together. I ask him about Nissan and he said that if he had to make a living working on Nissan products, he would go out of business.
Sounds good to me!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Dildorado

I almost shat myself when i found out i my golf bag fit perfectly in there! No luck in getting 2 in there though, not in a roadster.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:33 AM
DobbersNissanZ

$30k is a lot for some people, and those are the people who usually can't deal...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
slynix2

good reading
Old 08-25-2005, 10:41 AM
mitchgt

Looks great! I think you should include a link for people to tell if the car has the feathering problem, and what to do about it(b/c of all the info about it on the forum). Since I think above all; that is what turns new buyers away. Or hell maybe I'll search and do it for ya tonight, since you've already done your work.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:13 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

DCMidnight,
can you provide the specs on those Blizzaks you plan on purchasing? I realize we don't get alot of snow in the DC Metro area (compared to other places) but I can forsee getting rid of the stock Potenzas real soon. And great post btw...
Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
ZZ33bOI

i let people drink only if it is a bottle.....with a CAP.....and no drinkin while im smashin...i dont care if it gets all over you..but i just dont wanna clean it off my leather seats...hahahah and why the hell u want so many CUP HOLDERS??? 3 is more then enough! you have have 2 seats!?? hahah i dont even use the one on the dash...i just use the center console one..BEST thing i learn..if you try to grab your drink and you have a girl sittin next to you...you can pretend to grab the drinks instead u slide a lil bit more over to the right..you might just get a GOOOD BOOBIE FEEL..just say "OPPS! i wasnt looking, i was busy lookin at the road! and i was tryin to grab something to drink but instead i was off...by a bit..." hahah but i love my ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....Its Like "IM THe ****, FLy's Just automatically comes" flys=hoes ZZ33boi = Da ****! hahahha but GOOOD POST GOOD POST..some good READINGS
Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
dcmidnight

Keep in mind I am no tire expert, I merely spent hours combing through the Tire forum as well as other forums and browsing on TireRack.com to come up with my choice. My understanding between the two most popular Blizzak models, the WS-50 and the LM-22, is the 22 is made more for climates like ours. That is, climates where you might have snow one day but its gone the next but still cold - though you never deal with snowpack. Therefore you lose a bit of the grip the 50 has in the snow, but its much better on dry pavement which you may have 95% of the entire winter. The 50 on the other hand, is the better choice if you are driving on packed snow for most of the winter. If I dont have this right, I hope someone will correct me, but this is my basic understanding of how those two models shape out. They are both highly rated on tirerack.com and elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Fletch69z

Maybe when I bought my Z used the cupholder insert was gone. My center console is just a flat box with no cupholders, . Oh well, I only need one usually any ways.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 PM
dcmidnight

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Maybe when I bought my Z used the cupholder insert was gone. My center console is just a flat box with no cupholders, . Oh well, I only need one usually any ways.
I bought mine used too, figured it was something the guy added on, but it cant be more than a $20 part from a dealer I would think.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:24 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Keep in mind I am no tire expert, I merely spent hours combing through the Tire forum as well as other forums and browsing on TireRack.com to come up with my choice. My understanding between the two most popular Blizzak models, the WS-50 and the LM-22, is the 22 is made more for climates like ours. That is, climates where you might have snow one day but its gone the next but still cold - though you never deal with snowpack. Therefore you lose a bit of the grip the 50 has in the snow, but its much better on dry pavement which you may have 95% of the entire winter. The 50 on the other hand, is the better choice if you are driving on packed snow for most of the winter. If I dont have this right, I hope someone will correct me, but this is my basic understanding of how those two models shape out. They are both highly rated on tirerack.com and elsewhere.
Thanks, I haven't quite caught the "mod" bug but I do plan to look into a better grade of tire as well as a stereo/speaker upgrade. I'm just at 3000k and haven't experienced any feathering or road noise yet so I guess I can wait a little longer before replacing my fronts and backs.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 PM
mobilezen

I wish hockey bags were covered too in the first topic/sub question

Quick Reply: WHY YOU SHOULD BUY A Z (subtitle: Z Purchasing FAQ)