Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

auto 350z question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005 | 06:46 PM
The Mike

Default auto 350z question

Just wondering... For those with an auto 350z. Are you able to burn out from a stop by just mashing the gas? No breaking, pretorqing, or anything like that... just a simple stop then slam on the gas and do a standing burn out? My guess is no since there's isn't enough torque at low rpm to break traction but thought I'd ask anyways. Even with my stick the only way to do it *going straight anyways* is popping the clutch. If your wheel was turned however that changes to yes... but question is about straight.
Old 08-25-2005 | 06:52 PM
hypeiv

once you turn off tcs you should have no trouble leaving a little rubber from a stop...
Old 08-25-2005 | 07:13 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

At the price of these tires, why would anyone want to? LOL!
Old 08-25-2005 | 07:16 PM
Fletch69z

I would think you should be able too.
Old 08-25-2005 | 07:16 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I agree with The B-Rat but must answer, Yes. Turn off TCS, and smash it. You'll make a nice sound.
Old 08-25-2005 | 11:06 PM
dd55

You can't do a standstill burnout by just stepping on the gas, but you will spin the tires as you're taking off. This is with the TCS off.
Old 08-26-2005 | 10:22 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by dd55
You can't do a standstill burnout by just stepping on the gas, but you will spin the tires as you're taking off. This is with the TCS off.
What he said. It was easy to do with the OEM crap tires. I now have Michelin Pilot Sports and I haven't tried it yet. The new tires seem more grippy so it might not be possible without brake torquing.
Old 08-26-2005 | 10:24 AM
siznimper

Yes, with the TCS off I can have a little fun It's day 7 of Z-dom for me, and I am very impressed with how fun the AT is, seeing as how I was reluctant to weenie out and eschew 6MT (but I live in LA...it would drive me insane)
Old 08-26-2005 | 02:04 PM
RNL323
Mod My Ride
Premier Member

Turn TCS Off
Left foot on Break
Right foot Gas
mash..

Tires spin, will smoke eventually... say buh bye to the OEM potenzas!
Old 08-26-2005 | 03:06 PM
1sloZ

in a straight line i have found that it depends on the road. turn the wheel slightly though and you can really have some fun....lol..
Old 08-26-2005 | 03:22 PM
The Mike

Do you auto guys experience wheel hop upon launching hard? If you do how bad is it? Very little or closer to rattling your whole car excessively?
Old 08-27-2005 | 09:50 PM
Aggro_Al

I haven't had big wheel hop problems. I suppose it might be a problem if you were putting down way more torque than your tires can handle. The TC usually has already asorbed the shock and stess of the launch before I even start moving. That why a TC based transmission can do a brake torque launch. Launching with a TC sort of feels like a catapult waiting to be released as opposed to a sudden jolt like you would get from revving a standard transmission. (Well, at least that is the best way I can describe it.)

BTW a torque converter can, with proper gearing and TC design, put out a significant amount more torque than the engine is producing as long as the impeller and turbine aren't locked or coupled. The stock Z TC can probably come close to doubling engine torque in the low to mid RPMS. Professional drag cars can multiply torque more than 4x. The torque converter got it's name from "excess velocity is used to multiply torque converter".

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 08-27-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2005 | 10:24 PM
___DJK___

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
At the price of these tires, why would anyone want to? LOL!
how bout gas!
Old 08-27-2005 | 11:46 PM
The Mike

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
I haven't had big wheel hop problems. I suppose it might be a problem if you were putting down way more torque than your tires can handle. The TC usually has already asorbed the shock and stess of the launch before I even start moving. That why a TC based transmission can do a brake torque launch. Launching with a TC sort of feels like a catapult waiting to be released as opposed to a sudden jolt like you would get from revving a standard transmission. (Well, at least that is the best way I can describe it.)

BTW a torque converter can, with proper gearing and TC design, put out a significant amount more torque than the engine is producing as long as the impeller and turbine aren't locked or coupled. The stock Z TC can probably come close to doubling engine torque in the low to mid RPMS. Professional drag cars can multiply torque more than 4x. The torque converter got it's name from "excess velocity is used to multiply torque converter".

Nice explination. Thanks. Oh.. I read somewhere in an auto magazine that some modern TC's actually "lock" in final drive gear to completely cut the losses in mpg efficiency... basically acting like a standard. Is the 350z's TC setup that way?
Old 08-28-2005 | 11:22 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by The Mike
Nice explination. Thanks. Oh.. I read somewhere in an auto magazine that some modern TC's actually "lock" in final drive gear to completely cut the losses in mpg efficiency... basically acting like a standard. Is the 350z's TC setup that way?
The stock TC in the Z has a full lock-up in 4th and 5th and a partial lock-up in 3rd. Some cars like the Porsche 911 have full lock-up in every gear. While that is better for fuel economy and looks good on the dyno, I think it limits one of the advantages of having a TC. If you look at the Z's published mileage, you'll see that the 6MT and the 5AT have only about 1MPG difference and that was measured in a lab. In the real world that is irrelevant. Locking up every gear gives minimal returns. One of the advantages of the TC is torque multiplication. If you lock-up the TC too early, you will handicap that advantage. In the Z, I like the fact that the lower gears don't lock-up this will allow the tranny to get max torque out of the lower gears where it's most important. At the higher gears, torque multiplication isn't as important as preventing hydraulic loss and it would be more beneficial to lock the TC. If the 911 AT had a free-revving lower end it would probably have 0-60 times comparable to the 911 MT. Yeah, you'd get worse mileage but who cares you drive a Porsche.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 08-28-2005 at 11:41 AM.