Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

03 350z Touring vs VW R32

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Sav426

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 350z Touring vs VW R32

My brother has one and is coming to visit this weekend and want to know if anyone has had any experience "vs" the VW R32

Just got my car and am coming from a Z3 3.0 so Im still getting used to my ride....

What do you guys think my brother talks up such a storm of his R32...is he blowing smoke or are they as "badass" as he says...
Old 09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They not slow, from a dig with AWD vs RWD= no contest.
From a roll. well his is turbo means he can pre-pick his powerband in a from-the-roll race..
Old 09-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Sav426

he never mentioned they are turbo?? VW makes turbo 3.2 VR6??
Old 09-05-2005, 03:32 PM
bmxox

Originally Posted by palmerwmd
They not slow, from a dig with AWD vs RWD= no contest.
From a roll. well his is turbo means he can pre-pick his powerband in a from-the-roll race..

Not all volksagens are turbo, and the R32 in fact did not come from the factory with a turbo. It a 24v 3.2 vr6 but there are many turbo kits out there that bring it close to 400whp. My friend has one with simple boltons, intake, exhaust, and an ecu reflash and he says he ran a 13.8 1/4 mile. I havnt seen it in person but I think when the R first came out motortrend ran a high 13 or very low 14 in it. Its basically right there performance wise with the Z. I would say if the two were to race it would definitly depend on the driver.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:46 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock for stock the Z will win. the R32 looks nice and isnt the lowest on HP however it's a pig like the 350Z Thankfully the Z has more HP.

Z > R32
Old 09-05-2005, 04:19 PM
35oZephyR

Considering how small the tuning community is and how expensive the turbo kits are for the R32's, I wouldn't count on your brother slapping one on anytime soon.
(Unless he is supported through a shop or just loves spending upwards of 50k on his golf )

The performance is pretty similar down low, given the AWD and weight. It will be close but the R32 will probably run out of steam up top (in stock form). If all goes to hell and you CAN'T launch or shift for the life of you....pray he's not chipped, and just run up past 135mph. His governor will kick in.

Neither cars are dragsters though...take them both through the canyons and have some fun.

(of course I don't condone any of this, just yappin outa my **** )

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 09-05-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Sav426

no racing reallly for us, it is just a "dick measuring" contest between us. I like the Z much better the R32 just looks to much like any other Golf to me
Old 09-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Blue Komodo

R32's are slow, not sure what they weigh. STI's spank them all day. However, with a TT kit the can put down damn near 600bhp no problem. Kit costs uber money though.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
bmxox

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Considering how small the tuning community is and how expensive the turbo kits are for the R32's, I wouldn't count on your brother slapping one on anytime soon.
(Unless he is supported through a shop or just loves spending upwards of 50k on his golf
You obviously have no clue. The tuning community for volkswagens is huge and continuously growing. I can name many shops within an 2 hour drive from my house that do incredible work and produce amazing results. 9 sec 1/4mile fwd volkswagens. I surely cant same the same for nissans. And just because one company produces a kit for the r32 that is ridiculously overpriced doesnt mean they all are. There are many kits out there, single and twin turbo, costing the same as a kit for our a Z. And sadly to say you can run a lot more boost on a vr6 than our motors. I personally know people running 12-15 pounds of boost on stock internals all day long in their volkswagens.

Im not at all saying the r32 is faster or slower. The Z has more power whereas the R is awd and lighter. I came from volkswagens and I love my Z more and more every time I drive it compared to my volkswagen. Some people just see one thing and think they know all, then misinform others.

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
R32's are slow, not sure what they weigh. STI's spank them all day. However, with a TT kit the can put down damn near 600bhp no problem. Kit costs uber money though.
Again with the misconceptions, there are like two 600hp r32s out there. Both owned by companies that built the car. If you wanted a 600hp r32, I would like to see you go out there and slap on a TT kit and get anywhere near that reliably. There are Z's out there making the same power, but theres a lot more to it that 2 turbos under the hood.

More on the original question, if your "comparing dicks" they are close performance wise stock, both cars have their ups and downs. He drives the R because he likes it, and you drive the Z because you perfer that. They are both in the same price bracket and both offer similar luxuries. This argument could go on forever, no one will come out on top.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:06 PM
alienx

Originally Posted by bmxox
You obviously have no clue. The tuning community for volkswagens is huge and continuously growing.
I had a VR6 GTI before my 2003 Z and the reason I got the Z was exactly because there was virtually no tunign for the VW. This was at a time when all other import tuning was well underway. I sold the GTI because I had no practical way to boost it. Even Nuespeed didn't have a kit for them.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
spacemn_spiff

The Z has more power whereas the R is awd and lighter.
Z is lighter than the R. R curbweight is around 3409 lbs while Z is close to 3200. Thats a big difference. Plus stock R32 has less power than the stock Z. Now that adds upto performance if you are comparing stock performance.

There is no limit to what modifications you can do to your car to be better. You can have completely different car insides ( engine, space frame) with Z or R skin on it that might beat everything. I dont know if that needs to be discussed.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:55 PM
atar350

Do NOT under estimate this car like alot of people on here are doing. Just because we have more power, doesnt mean you are going to win.

I raced one that was Stock with Intake, I have JWT Intake, 19' Rims, and Tein springs, granted I have a base model so my car was the lightest, but I dont know what my rims did, more then likley added a few pounds, and we both had our women with us. I would say the guy was a little smaller then me, and his lady looked bigger then mine, so the body weight was probably even.

From a dig, he didnt launch to hard, and I actually pulled the lead in first gear, through second and part of third, he was at my rear bumper...They are pretty damn close same 1/4 as us thanks to that AWD launch, they start to fall off after 100 thanks to that drivetrain. I would ask your bro to race your from a Dig and roll, because I think he will get you from a stop, just because stock tires seem like they have built in grease and spin like crazy, and the fact that you are new to the car...You should get him from a roll, and still possible from a stop, just remember to shift FAST and control your burnout, practice my friend practice.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 PM
atar350

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
Z is lighter than the R. R curbweight is around 3409 lbs while Z is close to 3200. Thats a big difference. Plus stock R32 has less power than the stock Z. Now that adds upto performance if you are comparing stock performance.

There is no limit to what modifications you can do to your car to be better. You can have completely different car insides ( engine, space frame) with Z or R skin on it that might beat everything. I dont know if that needs to be discussed.
Yeah the base is 3188, Enth is 3197, but the guy that posted has a touring, and that thing weighs 3247, the R32 I can agree with the 3409 weight figure, which actually suprised me cause I thought they would be light (3200-), but anyways, the 162lb difference isnt going to make all that much difference, and depending on the size of the two guys, there could be even more difference in weight, favoring either car. The Z owner could weigh 100 more pounds then the R32 and vice versa.

But as far as performance, dont forget this guy is on stock tires, and the R32 is AWD, and is a newer driver to the Z, this is going to be close, and I have a bet on the R32 from a dig, sorry!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Clapton9286

For dick measuring...well..i've never heard of ANYONE getting laid b/c they owned a VW Golf. haha
Old 09-06-2005, 02:09 PM
ZlleH

Curb weight according to these stats for the R32 is 3,330 pounds.

http://fast-autos.net/volkswagen/volkswagenr32.html
Old 09-06-2005, 03:46 PM
35oZephyR

You obviously have no clue. The tuning community for volkswagens is huge and continuously growing. I can name many shops within an 2 hour drive from my house that do incredible work and produce amazing results. 9 sec 1/4mile fwd volkswagens. I surely cant same the same for nissans. And just because one company produces a kit for the r32 that is ridiculously overpriced doesnt mean they all are. There are many kits out there, single and twin turbo, costing the same as a kit for our a Z. And sadly to say you can run a lot more boost on a vr6 than our motors. I personally know people running 12-15 pounds of boost on stock internals all day long in their volkswagens.

Im not at all saying the r32 is faster or slower. The Z has more power whereas the R is awd and lighter. I came from volkswagens and I love my Z more and more every time I drive it compared to my volkswagen. Some people just see one thing and think they know all, then misinform others.
Have no clue?
Yes you're definitely right, there IS a huge tuning community for VW's and I am well aware of that. All of my friends tune or own VW's and Audi's and i personally love 1.8t Gti's and the VR6 variants.
But I thought the subject was about the R32? Compared to the 1.8t, or even the Z, the R32 is a relatively exclusive car in the VW tuning community.

Aside from the earlier R32 HPI kits, I'm sure there are plenty of kits around that are just as "affordable" as force inducing a Z. To me, both cars are expensive to induce. Regardless of the car, there are more expenses incurred with slapping a turbo kit on a N/A machine than just simply bolting on a turbo.
What I meant to say was considering how much it costs, "his brother" won't be LIKELY to slap on any kit soon. His chances are as good as any of us slapping on a turbo kit for an upcoming drag race.

I really appreciate your emphasis on VW's because I don't intend to "misinform" anyone. This is a Z forum where we all come from different automotive backgrounds to contribute what we know, hence why I originally stated I was "yappin outa my ****", but thanks for reintroducing me to the cold harsh reality that: "I have no clue".

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 09-06-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Clapton9286

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Curb weight according to these stats for the R32 is 3,330 pounds.

http://fast-autos.net/volkswagen/volkswagenr32.html
I've seen 2 different places say 3400+. (one of them with a link in the other Z v R32 topic)
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
03performz

The R32 weights 3409lbs. with 240horse and 236ft/lb of torque. The Z is 3200lbs., 287 horse and like 274ft/lb. of torque. Do the math. If your z is manual and you know how to work the stick...you'll win. The 0-60mph time on the R32 is 6.4 top speed is 130mph. Which is only even this quick because of the awd factor. The slowest 0-60 I've seen from a Z was 5.9 and top speed is like 154mph.

Check out the specs on the R32 http://www.divergent.org/mikes.vws/r32specs.pdf#search='r32%20specifications'

Oh yeah....the tuning community for vw is huge..check out vwvortex.com it will amaze you.

Last edited by 03performz; 09-06-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Sav426

Wow everyone thanks for the replies, my bro is coming to see my ride Saturday and he thinks I have new Sentra!!

Boy he is in for big suprise, but seriously no racing will happen. He will most like take my ride for spin and me take his for spin and we will both like what each others rides have to offer.

I am actually very much looking forward to taking his car for spin, as Im sure he is interested in taking my "sentra" for spin.

Boy he will poop when he sees I have a very very nice Z, albeit stock and not as bad **** as you guys Z's but still beats the pants off my Z3 3.0 I traded in when I got the Z
Old 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM
bmxox

Arguments could go on forever about numbers and specs and in the end nothing will be solved. The tuning markets are there for both cars, they both have great potential and they both have relative numbers to start out with. The weights are not that far off from each other, the power numbers arent that far off either.

You cant compare which looks better because its all in the eyes of the owner. If he wanted a Z he would have bought one, if you wanted the R you would have got one so obviously each will prefer their own car over another in the same market.

EDIT: And maybe in his mind his R is badass compared to your "sentra"?

Quick Reply: 03 350z Touring vs VW R32